What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Glieseis

What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by Glieseis » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:01 am

Personally I just want to walk out the door when someone names their guitar and say things like "Oh I can run her neck up getting sweaty all day" or "She"'s a beaut ain't she". Friend of mine named his spruce top classical as Musty for mustard color, and I'm seriously reconsidering our friendship. That's some of the most redneck thing people do for guitars and cars and such.

So what do you find cringy - or ridiculous - about guitar culture? Not bound to just classical society

tyke

Re: What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by tyke » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:07 am

Air guitar :roll:

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:42 am

Heavy breathing while playing, excessively getting into "expressing " the music.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:45 am

I can't name my guitars or breathe heavily while playing them?? :shock:

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:08 am

Knowing the exact size and angle of Julian Bream's fingernails....

But not knowing the first thing about sonata form, or being able to name a famous classical sonata

ie. the short-sighted geekiness of "guitar culture".
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:35 am

Mouth gyrations and eye fluttering while playing
Hauser III 2014!

Andrew Barrett

Post by Andrew Barrett » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:26 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:Knowing the exact size and angle of Julian Bream's fingernails....

But not knowing the first thing about sonata form, or being able to name a famous classical sonata

ie. the short-sighted geekiness of "guitar culture".
This! I might supplement this by adding that I have met people obsessed with gear to an absurd extent. At some point shouldn't we all step back and make sure that our focus is on playing the guitar, not browsing the web discussing playing angle, ordering a new accessory that will "change the way you play" every other week, etc. I don't mind these things, but these elements of playing the guitar should not be the end-all-be-all of what it means to be a classical guitarist.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:53 pm

String fetishes.
I'm guilty, guilty, guilty, but they were on 4th of July sale last week!
No time to practice now, since all my spare time will be spent changing and trying out various string brands/sets/combinations etc. on my CGs, "Linus, Serena & Roberto".
Hurts so good :lol:

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:27 pm

The fixation on female player's appearance and clothing choices, versus their musical talents.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:32 pm

David_Norton wrote:The fixation on female player's appearance and clothing choices, versus their musical talents.
+3
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Sharon Vizcaino

Post by Sharon Vizcaino » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:32 pm

David_Norton wrote:The fixation on female player's appearance and clothing choices, versus their musical talents.
Yes. Go to any of Ana Vidovic's videos on YouTube and half the comments are on her appearance. Jeez.

I think I'll have to agree with Adrian Allan here. I most definitely do not know sonata form! Or any music theory beyond the very basics. Working on changing that...
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:30 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:Heavy breathing while playing, excessively getting into "expressing " the music.
+1 There's a fantastic player, one of the top names at the moment, he plays beautifully, but I can't bear to watch him on Youtube - makes me want to slap him in the face and tell him to cut it out.

Rant over

Cef
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:01 pm

Also I have to add the worshiping of composers such as John Duarte or Leo Brouwer, who in the grand scheme of things, are very insignificant composers - compared to the classical greats.

If they had written for any other instrument, they wouldn't have made a dent in the standard repertoire.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

bear

Post by bear » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:02 pm

cefyn wrote:
Gary Macleod wrote:Heavy breathing while playing, excessively getting into "expressing " the music.
+1 There's a fantastic player, one of the top names at the moment, he plays beautifully, but I can't bear to watch him on Youtube - makes me want to slap him in the face and tell him to cut it out.

Rant over

Cef
ditto
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:05 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:Also I have to add the worshiping of composers such as John Duarte or Leo Brouwer, who in the grand scheme of things, are very insignificant composers - compared to the classical greats.

If they had written for any other instrument, they wouldn't have made a dent in the standard repertoire.
Thank you for spotlighting the SECOND-MOST cringiest thing: people who look down condescendingly at the CG's repertoire and the composers for the instrument. If we are honest, virtually none of the CG composers from Milan and Mudarra, through Sor and Giuliani, and Brouwer and Duarte, and right on until today, are "Great Names", and they are all primarily known for their CG contributions.

Eh. So what? They have written thousands of hours of perfectly decent and acceptable music which is enjoyed by millions of people daily around the planet. There isn't a player alive who could hope to master the entire CG repertoire in a single lifetime.

If you want to deal solely with "The Great Names", you are quite welcome to go take up the piano, cello, violin, flute, or baton . No one is stopping you.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to “Public Space”