What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
User avatar
Sharon Vizcaino
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:40 am
Location: NYC

Re: What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by Sharon Vizcaino » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:39 pm

bear wrote:
Sharon Vizcaino wrote:Agree with bear. I'm trying, but there's only so much time in a day if you have a full-time job! (And even less if you're a student...). But who knows, maybe someday I'll save up enough to retire, become 'literate' in music and act condescending towards those who are not. That's the dream :P
I am retired and I can read well enough to play what I want, but I'd probably flunk any exam on the subject. The pieces that I can't read; I probably wouldn't be able to play that well. So, I see it as a service to mankind. If I could read better, I might try playing pieces that were over my head and play them badly.
Wise. I just play them badly, half by ear. My teacher does NOT find this amusing. Hahaha. I do that for piano, which I can read sheet music for fairly well. If you ever want to hear cringe-worthy Mozart, be sure to call me!
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

mts132
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA

Re: What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by mts132 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:28 pm

Maybe it has been mentioned but.......obsessions with tuning to the A string perfectly to "A". Seems like not seeing the forest through the trees.

User avatar
tubeman
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:59 pm

Re: What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by tubeman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:23 pm

Lack of knowledge of non-guitar composers. For instance, if you play any pieces by Sor, then you should know Mozart's or Haydn's music. "Haydn? Who's that?" makes me cringe.
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

igycrctl
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:53 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by igycrctl » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:22 am

tubeman wrote:Lack of knowledge of non-guitar composers. For instance, if you play any pieces by Sor, then you should know Mozart's or Haydn's music. "Haydn? Who's that?" makes me cringe.
Seriously, who is that? The only Hayden I know of has a planetarium named for him.

User avatar
tubeman
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:59 pm

Re: What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by tubeman » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:31 am

igycrctl wrote:
tubeman wrote:Lack of knowledge of non-guitar composers. For instance, if you play any pieces by Sor, then you should know Mozart's or Haydn's music. "Haydn? Who's that?" makes me cringe.
Seriously, who is that? The only Hayden I know of has a planetarium named for him.
I can't tell if you are actually serious or misspelled Haydn! (For about 30 seconds my post had such a typo, but I fixed it!)
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

User avatar
Alicia
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:40 am
Location: The English Countryside

Re: What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by Alicia » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:39 am

Lawler wrote:Cringy: the frequency of musical illiteracy among classical guitarists
Almost.

The cringe is when they take pride in it.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

John Feagin
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:51 pm
Location: Depends on where Uncle Sam wants me

Re: What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by John Feagin » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:44 am

Kenbobpdx wrote:Me playing in public.

Now that is cringeworthy:-)
+1 :lol:

User avatar
segobreawill
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:34 pm
Location: Mtl, Canada

Re: What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by segobreawill » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:00 pm

lagartija wrote:
The bravery required to get up on a stage as an adult and play something for the first time, Should not be underestimated.
You may cringe at the result of their attempt, but I feel a charitable person would try to help or encourage them in some way.
It IS indeed "underestimated", as you say. I would love to one day get up on the recital stage, but just the idea of it - not the act itself - before anything else, is unbelievably paralyzing.

You've got to start young, right? And have the right teacher(s)! :cry:

igycrctl
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:53 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by igycrctl » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:37 pm

tubeman wrote:
igycrctl wrote:
tubeman wrote:Lack of knowledge of non-guitar composers. For instance, if you play any pieces by Sor, then you should know Mozart's or Haydn's music. "Haydn? Who's that?" makes me cringe.
Seriously, who is that? The only Hayden I know of has a planetarium named for him.
I can't tell if you are actually serious or misspelled Haydn! (For about 30 seconds my post had such a typo, but I fixed it!)
Nah, I'm juss messin' whicha.

User avatar
Andrew Fryer
Posts: 2548
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:13 pm
Location: London SE5

Re: What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:39 pm

David_Norton wrote:The fixation on female player's appearance and clothing choices, versus their musical talents.
So you think guitar culture has the monopoly on that?
Image
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Nitsuga Uriarte
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:39 pm
Location: Miami Florida

Re: What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by Nitsuga Uriarte » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:19 pm

Before I say what I'm about to say, I want to mention that I have 2 degrees in classical guitar performance.

I cant stand classical guitar purists, or classical music purists, who put down various types of popular music. Maybe it's because I'm American and our guitar culture is very diverse, but I love a talented guitarists, no matter what he/she is playing.
2010 Concepcion CD/IR
2000 GV Rubio Solista SP/IR
2012 Ramirez 4ne

User avatar
R.V.S.
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:36 pm
Location: Boston, MA, USA

Re: What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by R.V.S. » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:28 pm

The only thing we have to cringe is cringe itself.

User avatar
Andrew Fryer
Posts: 2548
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:13 pm
Location: London SE5

Re: What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:42 pm

Nitsuga Uriarte wrote:Before I say what I'm about to say, I want to mention that I have 2 degrees in classical guitar performance.

I cant stand classical guitar purists, or classical music purists, who put down various types of popular music. Maybe it's because I'm American and our guitar culture is very diverse, but I love a talented guitarists, no matter what he/she is playing.
Some people like ketchup on their vanilla ice-cream, some don't.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Kjetil Heggelund
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:51 am
Location: Hønefoss, NORWAY

Re: What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:11 pm

R.V.S. wrote:The only thing we have to cringe is cringe itself.
:D :D
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

User avatar
bear
Posts: 3625
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: What's the most cringiest thing about guitar culture?

Post by bear » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:06 am

Among some, a shortage of tolerance, but more a trait of humanity and too often in evidence in the cg world. I am not immune.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Return to “Public Space”