Old Sears guitar - who knows?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

Re: Old Sears guitar - who knows?

Postby jfbennett » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:17 pm

I have an older Silvertone Classical, I aquired it in 1978 or so, so it's about at least 30 years old. I get this model number off the label: .12322000 - and that is was made in Japan.

I might be mistaken, but I believe the sound board is solid cedar, an gouge at the rosette helps to indicate it's not laminate (since my eyes are bad). The fretboard I would say wasn't painted as it has deep ruts from having been played by someone with long LH nails (wasn't me I swear). Frets are worn, tuners have been replaced. All in all it was a decent entry level instrument, though I haven't strung it since re-aquiring it from a relative whom I'd leant it to many years ago.

I've been thinking about restoring mine lately, but maybe I'll just leave it in retirement.
jfbennett

Postby Sniak » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:58 am

Never thought I'd hear the name Silvertone again! My first guitar was a Silvertone...it was a 'hand-me-down' from my aunt...it collected dust in our closet throughout the 70's and 80's-. When I turned 17 years old, I wanted to play guitar, but just like ever other teenager I wanted to play in band- never heard of classical guitar.
I had the Silvertone for a while, even when I purchased some other cheap classical guitars (Alvarez Artists). I can't even remember what happened to it. All I remember is that it sounded horrible and the wood definitely looked cheap! I think it was made of mostly plywood for the top.
I should have kept it, for cheap guitar though it is, there are people who like to collect them, and they may be worth even more in a couple decades.
Sniak

Postby jorgebenbrasil » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:33 pm

I started playing classical and bossa nova about three years ago on a Sears Silvertone classical. A neighbor gave me the guitar when i was in high school in the early 80s and I never kept it in a case or on a stand and always thought of it as a piece of junk. Lately Ive been shopping for new guitars and I swear my Sears compares to $500 new guitars (eg Yamaha). It stays in tune everywhere - very playable - rosewood fretboard and I would swear the top is cedar - the tone is richer than the new Yamahas. It has a rectangular tag inside that says Silvertone Model No.148.12320000 - whatever that means. Its from the 70s or maybe even older - not sure. I'd love to know more. Maybe theres an old Sears catalog somewhere? Guess I'll have to spend more than $500 to upgrade. lol.
jorgebenbrasil

Postby Vesuvio » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:43 pm

Hello Jorgebenbrasil,

That sounds like quite a guitar—I think I would keep it and not upgrade at all.

Welcome to the forum! If you have time, I would like to invite you to visit the Introduce Yourself area where you might like to tell us a little more about your musical background and interests,

Best wishes, V
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith
Vesuvio

Postby CPA » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:21 pm

It has been a fun topic to, read the replies over these several months as well as to note the continued appearences of the old silvertones on e - b a y. I have noted, even from the same period, they come in many different appearences and tonewoods. One thing seems constant however, that being the positive contribution that each guitar has made to the older and a few in suceeding generatons for almost 40+ years. That's quite a legacy and I am delighted to still regard mine, now that it much resembles Willie Nelson,s broken and worn guitar but still in the most playable and enjoyable daily practice/travel guitar I own. Great to hear from you guys, nice to know you.. here at Delcamp.
Walt-
CPA

Postby jfbennett » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:32 pm

jorgebenbrasil wrote:I started playing classical and bossa nova about three years ago on a Sears Silvertone classical. A neighbor gave me the guitar when i was in high school in the early 80s and I never kept it in a case or on a stand and always thought of it as a piece of junk. Lately Ive been shopping for new guitars and I swear my Sears compares to $500 new guitars (eg Yamaha). It stays in tune everywhere - very playable - rosewood fretboard and I would swear the top is cedar - the tone is richer than the new Yamahas. It has a rectangular tag inside that says Silvertone Model No.148.12320000 - whatever that means. Its from the 70s or maybe even older - not sure. I'd love to know more. Maybe theres an old Sears catalog somewhere? Guess I'll have to spend more than $500 to upgrade. lol.

That's the same model number as mine, yes, I believe you are correct about the woods, not sure about the back and sides.
jfbennett

Postby dkuther » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:55 am

CPA wrote:40 years ago I bought and still practice on a Sears Harmony (Silvertone) classical guitar. Many other forum members have made reference to this same guitar. I would be interested to know who also played this guitar and how many of Delcamp still have one.

Mine looks like Willie Nelson's guitar with a big section out of the back, kids color crayon marks all over, a crack in the soundboard and dents everywhere alse but nevertheless the neck, frets and playability is as good as the day it was bought. I prefer its playability to many new mid-level student guitars marketed today.

Does anyone know where, by whom, of what matarial these were made? Mine appears to have a spruce soundboard, solid wood back and sides of what wood I don't know.

I have an old SIlvertone Classic Guitar. I would guess it's from the mid '60's, it was made in the USA and as I understand it it's made from solid woods. I'm pretty sure these were made by Harmony. Here's a link I found -

http://harmony.demont.net/brandmodel.php?id=211

I got my Silvertone about 6 months on e - b a y for $75 after playing someone else's. I needed a 2nd classical guitar to keep at the office and this is perfect. Anyone who's played it is amazed at how good it feels and plays.
"Science Finds - Industry Applies - Man Conforms" - Motto of the Chicago World's Fair, 1933

Ramirez 2CWE : Cordoba C7 : Yamaha CGX171CCA
dkuther

Postby cmhodge » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:32 pm

Add me to the list of Delcampers who started out on a Silvertone! Mine was probably a folk model, since it had a simple line around the sound hole instead of a rosette. It had a nice sound but very high action. My mother actually refinished it (!) a few years before I started to play, using household polyurethane, I think. This instrument got me through a few months of lessons before I upgraded.
cmhodge

Previous

Return to Public Space