R.I.P Roland Dyens

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
brooks

Re: R.I.P Roland Dyens

Post by brooks » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:33 am

I am stunned. What a profound loss. My condolences to his family. RIP Maestro

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:43 am

Aside from his musical genius, he seemed to be a really great person and unique personality that shined through his music. Condolences to the family and friends
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:15 pm

I am stunned and profoundly schocked.

I had the honnor to know him; every year he would invite me for the audition of his students in the CNSM of Paris.
Never dared to tell him he was for me the greatest living guitarist, and one of the most prominent composer. A kind of Franz Liszt for today; a great human being.

The world will be a less interesting place without him.

rkguitar16

Post by rkguitar16 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:36 pm

Was so saddened to learn about the death or Roland Dyens. I was fortunate to hear him perform at the John Marlow Guitar series where he opened his program with an improvisation never before heard by the audience much less by himself. His uniqueness, warmth, and brilliance will continue to inspire for generations to come. May grace surround his family and friends.

rob8624

Post by rob8624 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:41 pm

Sad, sad news condolences to his family and friends, the loss of great man.

JayGuitar

Post by JayGuitar » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:17 pm

Hard to believe, such a loss. May his family find comfort soon.

Non Tabius

Post by Non Tabius » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:06 pm

Gee I remember how humble he was and answered questions posed by us on this site about 8 years back,Geoff still set up the debate question- answer thread with Roland.Roland was most helpful answering all the queries pertaining to interpretation as best he could through a French -English interpreter for us all here at Delcamp.May he rest in peace .

singvomblatt

Post by singvomblatt » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:21 pm

I found the note this morning too on FB. So sad !! I attended the Festival in Hersbruck/Bavaria 2013 where he gave a wonderful concert in the church. He was also giving masterclasses in the festival building. Too bad I did not sign up for it. Now it is too late !!!
What was the cause of his death? He was only 61 !!! Does anybody have some infos on this ?

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:23 pm

Bastien Burlot wrote: Dans la confidence depuis près d'un an sur son combat, ses combats qu'il a su mener de front avec l'honnêteté et le courage que je lui connaissait. Mon Maître s'en est allé, un Ami de 20ans à qui je dois tellement, tellement!

Je te remercie Roland, du fond du cœur. Repose en paix.
From the French forum. Seems like the writing had been on the wall for some time. Maybe "Oblivion" was a message to those who knew him better. For me his arrangement of "Take the A-Train" is simply the best there is.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Such unexpectedly sad news. RIP Roland.
It's only relatively recently that I've gotten into his music, having kind of avoided him for no particular reason.
Now that I have, I appreciate his talent.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

vattila

Post by vattila » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:23 pm

Sad news, one of my favorite composers, his rearrangements are incredible. Rest in peace!

Aucaman

Post by Aucaman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:52 pm

I'm in Santiago de Chile right now and a friend told me the news. I refused to believe it. Surely my friend had made a mistake Roland is a lot younger than I and so full of life .... must be somebody else.
However, this morning I finally had access to a computer and was stunned to realized that Roland is truly gone! :cry:

I was lucky enough to not only hear him play many times in USA and in Europe, but also share many a meal with him. He was always so inventive, playful and funny. One day I was wearing a Mozart T-shirt that I had purchased in Vienna, Austria. It had some music printed on it. He grabbed his guitar and tried to play what was written on it! We all then quickly realized that it was all wrong and it didn't make any sense. So he decided to improvise following those impossible notes. What a hoot! We had a great time hearing his creation based on a hopelessly wrong score on a T-Shirt.

That's the kind of genius Roland was.

We will surely miss him

FHC

Post by FHC » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:04 pm

Truly sad day. May his genuine, playful and musical spirit live on in us all.

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:18 pm

I heard from his Manager it was Lung Cancer. He was a heavy smoker. Major Bummer.
2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2014 Joshua DeJonge Cedar( for sale) 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:46 pm

Thanks for the info Dofpic. Doesn't change the outcome, but helps with understanding. Rgds, C
物の哀れ

Return to “Public Space”