How long does it take you to change strings?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Moonlighting2610

Re: How long does it take you to change strings?

Post by Moonlighting2610 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:04 am

It takes around 30~40m including cleaning the fingerboard

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:07 am

20 mins max.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:48 am

20 minutes if a winder is at hand.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:07 am

Francisco wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:59 pm
Changing one string takes me about 5 minutes, but I change each string only as needed, seldom more than 1 or 2 at a time, and I almost never replace the entire set in one sitting. I see no reason to change all the strings if only 1 or 2 or 3 of them actually need replacement. My experience is that they wear at very different rates. The first to need replacement is always the 4th, then the 5th, while the 3rd always seems to last the longest by far.
Makes sense, but how do you know when they need replacement - when the intonation goes? I find that the drop-off in tone happens so gradually that you don't realise what you've been missing until the new strings are on. The strings that are on mine just now are fine, intonation wise, but based on the length of time they've been on there I am still expecting a tone bonus when I replace them.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:51 pm

About 45 mins to 1 hour for me. Sometimes I clean the fingerboard, sometimes I don't though. I just don't change them often enough to really get good at changing them. I always make sure that the winds look clean and are correctly wound around the roller before moving on to the next string. So, I like to take my time in the process. It takes me a long time and make sure everything looks good and correctly done.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:06 pm

30 to 45. Except when this happens:

I was a bit stressed and distracted when I changed strings the other day... Putting on the basses went just fine. As did the G string.

So then I put on the B, but only when it was up to tune did I notice that it was on the roller for the E string. Ok, took it off. Untie from snug 12-hole tie. Put it on B correct roller and tune. Then I notice it's actually an E string. Eyes roll at self. Remove it, undo snug tie at bridge, put string aside, and put on the proper B string.

Now back to the E. Jeez, it seems very short, what, is quality control lacking these days on this brand? But it fits, and I tune. Done!

Then, I go to toss away old strings and realize there's still a brand new high E still in the pack. I'd put the OLD E on (which is what it was short, because it'd been cut to remove from the bridge previously.)
Undo tight bridge tie, put new high E back on. At least there's no more open rollers to worry about.

But damn I do a good 12-hole tie at the bridge... sheesh.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:28 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:07 am
Makes sense, but how do you know when they need replacement - when the intonation goes? I find that the drop-off in tone happens so gradually that you don't realise what you've been missing until the new strings are on. The strings that are on mine just now are fine, intonation wise, but based on the length of time they've been on there I am still expecting a tone bonus when I replace them.
The first indicator for me is visual. On the basses you can see very well where the damage done by the frets begins to look like too much. Looking closely you can see damage on the trebles also. I check the intonation now and then. As regards sound, I try not to be lured by schemes of instant gratification, dreaming about how much better a new set *might* sound and so on. If one starts on this slippery slope, one may end up changing strings every few days. I just use them until the tone is tolerably okay to my ear and the ear of the walls, always keeping in mind that sound changes a lot from one area of the apartment to the other, one part of the day to the other, the changing moods of the nails, the moods of the soul, the changing weather, and of course the changing moods of the guitar itself. Because guitars are, without a doubt, very moody.
Yamaha GC42S

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:38 pm

bear wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:46 pm
Years. I hate changing strings, it's not easy with bear paws. I'd rather buy a new guitar. I put it off as long as possible. I have never timed myself but it can take up to an hour or so.
lol. I sold my first car rather than deal with replacing the tires.

As for strings, I change the treble and the bass a few days apart, otherwise I go nuts with tuning. I never timed myself, but I would guess 20 minutes per side.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:56 pm

It typically takes me 30-45 minutes. It's become almost like meditation to me... Very relaxing.

I always change all of the strings when I do it... I also do a quick cleaning of the body of the guitar, do a light oiling of the fretboard and periodically oil the tuning gears.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:38 pm

celestemcc wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:06 pm
30 to 45. Except when this happens:

I was a bit stressed and distracted when I changed strings the other day... Putting on the basses went just fine. As did the G string.

So then I put on the B, but only when it was up to tune did I notice that it was on the roller for the E string. Ok, took it off. Untie from snug 12-hole tie. Put it on B correct roller and tune. Then I notice it's actually an E string. Eyes roll at self. Remove it, undo snug tie at bridge, put string aside, and put on the proper B string.

Now back to the E. Jeez, it seems very short, what, is quality control lacking these days on this brand? But it fits, and I tune. Done!

Then, I go to toss away old strings and realize there's still a brand new high E still in the pack. I'd put the OLD E on (which is what it was short, because it'd been cut to remove from the bridge previously.)
Undo tight bridge tie, put new high E back on. At least there's no more open rollers to worry about.

But damn I do a good 12-hole tie at the bridge... sheesh.
:lol: Awesome story!
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:18 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:03 pm
Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:49 pm
I've been using Seaguar flourocarbon trebles (it's fishing line deployed as guitar strings).
Which particular kind do you use (hard to tell from the image, if it is written on the package somewhere)? - Seaguar typically has it rated by poundage and/or diameter.
It's not in the picture. When you order it you specify which pound test. For me, 50lb = high E, 80lb = B, 100lb = G.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:21 pm

montana wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:57 am
Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:49 pm
About 30 mins for all 6 strings one-by-one. 45 mins if I remove all strings and clean it.

15 mins Special case :: I've been using Seaguar flourocarbon trebles (it's fishing line deployed as guitar strings). Recommended by Trevor Gore. Those suckers are the most stable strings I've ever experienced. Ungodly! No need to change them. So if I only change the Hannabach basses, 15 mins total time.

seaguar.jpg
Where can I get it?
I got mine from Amazon. But dpending on the country you live in, you may need to find alternative sources. Tackle shops are a good bet.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:45 pm

About 45 minutes with cleaning the fretboard and frets with gorgamyte. The guy at the music store taught me, and I tuck the strings into the next string. I change strings often, about every three to four weeks. It's weird but I have one guitar that was set up with EJ45 and those strings really do need to be changed often. If I am just changing the strings it takes about 30 minutes and I don't use a winder. I turn them slowly by hand. They seem to settle faster this way.

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:45 pm

I guess I'm average. 45 minutes to an hour including the cleaning and polishing. Yes, I take all the strings off.

I'll confess that I don't change strings often, probably around 90 -120 hrs. playing time. Then it's usually because of guilt, not anything sonic.

I might be a little weird in one regard. I have two guitars. I'll change the strings on one and while the strings are settling down on it, I play the other. So the new strings might have been on and at pitch for 3 - 4 months before I play them. By then they're pretty stable as far as tuning. I have no way or proving it, but doing that seems to help them last longer.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

razz

Post by razz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:31 pm

I can change the strings on my Soloette in about 10 minutes. It's difficult to damage that guitar by changing strings.

With my other guitars, I spend more time (30-40 minutes) because they are easier to damage and I usually clean them during my string changing time.

Return to “Public Space”