How long does it take you to change strings?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 927
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: How long does it take you to change strings?

Post by rinneby » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:02 am

About 20 min tops I would say.

/Jon
1977 - Kuniharu Nobe No.15
1997 - Dragan Musulin
2004 - Alain Raifort Grand Concert
2007 - Curt Claus Voigt Torres

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

StevSmar
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:42 pm
Location: Winnipeg Canada

Re: How long does it take you to change strings?

Post by StevSmar » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:18 am

30-60 minutes. I've never timed myself.

Sometimes a day if I clean and linseed Oil the fretboard.
Regards,

Steven from Winnipeg

Vincent Tan
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:59 am

Re: How long does it take you to change strings?

Post by Vincent Tan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:03 am

The process can be very quick if you have these string tie beads:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/images/string_tie.jpg

Tying the strings on the bridge part becomes extremely easy wit these.
It also gets rid of the risk of damaging the guitar from a string getting unknotted when tuning. I also have the strings to be 'strectched' when tying on the tuning machines having no allowance, so It just takes a couple turns of the machine heads to stretch the strings into tension. Takes me about 10-15 mins to change strings including light dusting and cleaning. I change once or twice a month.

jamma
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:54 pm
Location: Ellicott City, MD

Re: How long does it take you to change strings?

Post by jamma » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Interesting, I've never seen string tie beads before, I might have to buy some and see how they work. Although with an electric string winder I'm already around 3 mins per string which is probably fast enough for me.

MR.AWAW
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:02 am
Location: Indonesia

Re: How long does it take you to change strings?

Post by MR.AWAW » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:09 am

for me , I always clean my guitar properly when i change the strings. I need to take off all strings , and more easy for me to clean my guitar without strings , then i put new strings. So, it will need 45minutes total.
but if only change my strings without clean my guitar , i can make it 10-15 minutes or less :lol:

User avatar
cefyn
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:14 pm
Location: Gwaenysgor, Wales, U.K.

Re: How long does it take you to change strings?

Post by cefyn » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:38 am

I usually make a coffee, put on some guitar music - usually Bach, and take off all the strings. I give the guitar a good clean and maybe some lem oil on the fingerboard. It takes me somewhere between 30 mins and an hour. I leave my guitar on the stand and pop back every hour or so to bring the strings back up to pitch.

Cef.
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

woodenhand
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:05 am

Re: How long does it take you to change strings?

Post by woodenhand » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:27 am

About 15 minutes. It's the stretching out that takes time, so I always change strings after the day's practice, then let the new strings stretch overnight. The next day I can get by with a bit of retuning after each piece.

montana
Posts: 1370
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:46 pm

Re: How long does it take you to change strings?

Post by montana » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:50 am

woodenhand wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:27 am
About 15 minutes. It's the stretching out that takes time, so I always change strings after the day's practice, then let the new strings stretch overnight. The next day I can get by with a bit of retuning after each piece.
15 MINUTES........that's super human!!!! Not!

Peskyendeavour
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 11:15 pm

Re: How long does it take you to change strings?

Post by Peskyendeavour » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:24 am

Damn! I forgot to time it. Was changing strings while watching a TV programme. Finished way before the end of programme maybe half way but hard to tell...
Sorry no statistics to add...
I'll try to remember next time. It never occurred to me it's an important thing how long it took. I enjoy doing it and caring for my guitar.

Peskyendeavour
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 11:15 pm

Re: How long does it take you to change strings?

Post by Peskyendeavour » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:29 am

Vincent Tan wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:03 am
The process can be very quick if you have these string tie beads:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/images/string_tie.jpg

Tying the strings on the bridge part becomes extremely easy wit these.
It also gets rid of the risk of damaging the guitar from a string getting unknotted when tuning. I also have the strings to be 'strectched' when tying on the tuning machines having no allowance, so It just takes a couple turns of the machine heads to stretch the strings into tension. Takes me about 10-15 mins to change strings including light dusting and cleaning. I change once or twice a month.
I'm interested in these tie beads...
They don't touch the sound board do they ?
I observed wear to the block at the base just with years of use I guess and wondered if these would save it from further wear but it seems they would also pull against it at same point ...

Apart from ease changing strings what would you say on the wear and tear of the bridge in Using these blocks?

Vincent Tan
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:59 am

Re: How long does it take you to change strings?

Post by Vincent Tan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:55 am

Peskyendeavour wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:29 am
Vincent Tan wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:03 am
The process can be very quick if you have these string tie beads:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/images/string_tie.jpg

Tying the strings on the bridge part becomes extremely easy wit these.
It also gets rid of the risk of damaging the guitar from a string getting unknotted when tuning. I also have the strings to be 'strectched' when tying on the tuning machines having no allowance, so It just takes a couple turns of the machine heads to stretch the strings into tension. Takes me about 10-15 mins to change strings including light dusting and cleaning. I change once or twice a month.
I'm interested in these tie beads...
They don't touch the sound board do they ?
I observed wear to the block at the base just with years of use I guess and wondered if these would save it from further wear but it seems they would also pull against it at same point ...

Apart from ease changing strings what would you say on the wear and tear of the bridge in Using these blocks?
The blocks don't usually touch the soundboard but it really depends on how low the holes are on the bridge. I have had some guitars where I tried the tie blocks on and the space between the blocks and the soundboard was very very close but i haven't seen it touch the sound board. Another good thing is it gives a very good break angle where the strings touch the saddle, especially on guitars with very very low saddle.

As for wear and tear, I can't really say since the longest I've been using one on a guitar is 3 years and so far i dont really see any drastic wear, in fact I dont really see much change on the bridge where the tie block touches the bridge. Perhaps small 'dents' if any? Perhaps some members can comment on their experience but from mine, i use them freely and it makes changing strings much much easier and cleaner. Hope this helped

Return to “Public Space”