Who are the top performers in the world today?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Steve Kutzer

Re: Who are the top performers in the world today?

Post by Steve Kutzer » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:02 pm

Seeing some videos of when Leonora Spangenberger was 11 (think she might be 16 now), I'm expecting her to be famous. Not only is her playing technically superb and gracefully phrased, but she just looks utterly relaxed, happy and in the zone. Another young one to keep an eye on is Chaconne Klaverenga.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:28 pm

Looking at my CD collection, it is obvious that Manuel Barrueco has been the top guitarist for the past 30 years already....

Peter Lovett

Post by Peter Lovett » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:25 pm

In the last issue of Classical Guitar Magazine the main topic was composing for guitar and one of the people interviewed was Andrew York. He spoke of the time when John Williams contacted him about getting a copy of one of his compositions, "Sunburst". York wrote,

"Young people [today] can't understand that a classical guitarist could be as famous as John Williams was in that period. It doesn't exist now."

That is from one of todays leading players, a man who has to do other things to earn a living other than playing a guitar. I suggest that he is well attuned to the realities of the classical guitar world today. I think that until there is a major change in audiences for classical music no player today or in the near future will attain the status that those players who were at their peak in the 60s' attained.

I still think that one of the reasons that the post-war period was the hey-day of classical guitar was that people were looking for something different. They didn't want the usual classical faire that existed pre-war, they were looking for something exciting. However, with time, the guitar repertoire was found limited and the drift was back to the tried and true. Now, professional guitarists are struggling to find out how to get back to where it was in those heady days.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

eno

Post by eno » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:34 pm

Right, there are perhaps thousands of world class players nowadays, and even more perhaps not world class but fairly advanced and professional level players. Good news: more people can enjoy the pleasure of high quality CG playing. Bad news: almost impossible to make a living on CG playing.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.20 1975, No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade A9 1969, custom 1967, A1 1962
Mitsuru Tamura No.800 1969
Takamine C136S 1976

artguy

Post by artguy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:04 pm

Sor's Op 29, #2 was mentioned. (the Youtube clip)
What a horrible piece. How can you devote any time to it.
This is one of the reasons people don't like classical guitar music.

Michael Butten

Post by Michael Butten » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:29 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:02 pm
Seeing some videos of when Leonora Spangenberger was 11 (think she might be 16 now), I'm expecting her to be famous. Not only is her playing technically superb and gracefully phrased, but she just looks utterly relaxed, happy and in the zone. Another young one to keep an eye on is Chaconne Klaverenga.
She's 13, or was at Gfa this year where she won the junior section of the youth competition. Incredible technique for such a young girl, and she definitely has good musicality as well. The general technique is so high now, and at such young ages. There were 11 year old kids playing movements of the Ginastera Sonata, not particularly getting the music but able to get their fingers around it perfectly. They'll be playing that on the competition circuit the entire time they are on it, really 'battle hardened.' Not particularly in the spirit of music in my opinion, but it's what they do.

An excellent player I've seen a couple of times recently, and had a lesson with, is Gabriel Bianco. Won GFA when he was 19, he's 29 now and playing unbelievably well. His control is ridiculous, especially in his articulation.

Another is Lukasz Kuropacewski. He's been playing alot of contemporary music by very big composers like Meyer, Lutoslawski and Penderecki. He's done arrangements of their music with their blessing, and premiered some quite amazing new music by them.
www.michaelbutten.co.uk

PaulHardy

Post by PaulHardy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:34 pm

I think Laura Snowden is already living up to the 'one to watch' tag.

A Delcamp post (sorry can't remember who or where but thank you!) put me on to a youtube video of Australian player Stephanie Jones playing the Adagio from BWV1001, and I would definitely recommend you seek that out.

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:22 pm

Others worth mentioning is Zoran Dukic, Pablo Marquez & Ricardo Gallén :-)
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

Nick Clow

Post by Nick Clow » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:48 am

Laura Snowden seconded. Amazing dynamic style. A star. (I actually really love the fact that she plays acoustic/rhythm guitar in a folk band as a side line. So much to be gained from doing so in terms of performing, learning chords/harmony and rhythm.)

Andrei Lebedev is another young superstar with authority beyond his years.

You just can't go wrong with Jason Vieaux. I love his somewhat informal style and the way he talks about pieces to help give people a way into them. And I love his controlled, solid sense of rhythm. Sevillia, for example, can be a bit of mess. Listen to his.

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:27 am

Not quite clear whether the OP is asking primarily about new, young talent, but in that class I'd add Ian Watt (who studied at Glasgow with Sean Shibe). If we're including established players, then Pavel Steidl has to be on the list. I saw him play at West Dean on Saturday evening - very entertaining, and an impressive combination of great musicality and technique.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Mickmac

Post by Mickmac » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:47 am

There is such a wealth of young talent now. I'd certainly second Sean Shibe, Stephanie Jones and Laura Snowden. I'd also include Kevin Loh on the list.

Nick Clow

Post by Nick Clow » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:49 am

There is such a wealth of young talent now.
Daniel Nistico is not only a very accomplished performer, but also writes great music as one can see if one views his 'Fugue'. Puts out a lot of interesting Youtube material.

Andrew Blanche, very accomplished young Sydney-based performer.

ddray

Post by ddray » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:00 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:00 pm
"Oh yes, sorry - forgot all about them. Still probably less than 10 that you could call "world class". Now there are many thousands,"

I wonder if there weren't always more highly accomplished players than anyone knew about, but now youtube makes us aware of the existence of their numbers.
I think that's a problem. Digitalization has produced a glut of sorts, and with everybody and his uncle publishing recordings, it's hard to stand out in the massive throng...no matter how perfect one's technique is. Five minutes after one perfect technician appears, another one pops up.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:16 pm

But the other side of that is that we get to choose on musical grounds. There are more people out there who can show us what they've got, because they have the necessary technique. This makes the question of who should be considered the best players much more subjective than it was back in the day.

I just don't buy the idea that today's performers are all clones. I can't say I spend hours and hours comparing them, but when I am looking at a specific piece I do like to listen to different versions of it, and so far I have always had a clear preference.

ddray

Post by ddray » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:38 am

Rasputin wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:16 pm

I just don't buy the idea that today's performers are all clones. I can't say I spend hours and hours comparing them, but when I am looking at a specific piece I do like to listen to different versions of it, and so far I have always had a clear preference.
I agree, and I'm not in any way slighting those great young players (of all instruments) who've worked really hard to reach the virtuoso level. The thing is the "blessing" of modern technology is mixed. It's much easier to make quality recordings now, but at the same time it makes it hard to concentrate for very long on a handful of artists.

Return to “Public Space”