Who are the top performers in the world today?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
redmcq

Re: Who are the top performers in the world today?

Post by redmcq » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:02 pm
Seeing some videos of when Leonora Spangenberger was 11 (think she might be 16 now), I'm expecting her to be famous. Not only is her playing technically superb and gracefully phrased, but she just looks utterly relaxed, happy and in the zone. Another young one to keep an eye on is Chaconne Klaverenga.
Yeah she's very talented, saw a video of her playing BWV 998 fugue, she plays it so well considering her age and difficulty of piece.

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:31 pm

Michael Butten wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:29 pm
Steve Kutzer wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:02 pm
Seeing some videos of when Leonora Spangenberger was 11 (think she might be 16 now), I'm expecting her to be famous. Not only is her playing technically superb and gracefully phrased, but she just looks utterly relaxed, happy and in the zone. Another young one to keep an eye on is Chaconne Klaverenga.
She's 13, or was at Gfa this year where she won the junior section of the youth competition. Incredible technique for such a young girl, and she definitely has good musicality as well. The general technique is so high now, and at such young ages. There were 11 year old kids playing movements of the Ginastera Sonata, not particularly getting the music but able to get their fingers around it perfectly. They'll be playing that on the competition circuit the entire time they are on it, really 'battle hardened.' Not particularly in the spirit of music in my opinion, but it's what they do.

An excellent player I've seen a couple of times recently, and had a lesson with, is Gabriel Bianco. Won GFA when he was 19, he's 29 now and playing unbelievably well. His control is ridiculous, especially in his articulation.

Another is Lukasz Kuropacewski. He's been playing alot of contemporary music by very big composers like Meyer, Lutoslawski and Penderecki. He's done arrangements of their music with their blessing, and premiered some quite amazing new music by them.
Gabriel Bianco is excellent ! Saw him perform at the wygf, he also conducted our ensemble and did a masterclass.

markworthi

Post by markworthi » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Just off the top of my head, I can think of at least a dozen that I really look forward to seeing at some point, including Carles Trepat, Antigoni Goni, Irina Kulikova and Roberto Aussel.

In the category of "Ones to Watch", I recommend looking for videos of Andrea di Vitis, whose technicality is flawless but certainly not at the cost of musicality! I am pretty sure, this guy's well under 30.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:35 pm

markworthi wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:15 pm
Just off the top of my head, I can think of at least a dozen that I really look forward to seeing at some point, including Carles Trepat, Antigoni Goni, Irina Kulikova and Roberto Aussel.

In the category of "Ones to Watch", I recommend looking for videos of Andrea di Vitis, whose technicality is flawless but certainly not at the cost of musicality! I am pretty sure, this guy's well under 30.

Well you have great taste - I also think Irina Kulikova is one of the top of the top players.

Andrea de Vitis was born in 1985 so he's 31 or 32 - time sure flies! :) lol

markworthi

Post by markworthi » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:28 pm

Cipher wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:35 pm
markworthi wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Well you have great taste - I also think Irina Kulikova is one of the top of the top players.

Andrea de Vitis was born in 1985 so he's 31 or 32 - time sure flies! :) lol
Thanks, Cipher. Wow, he's a bit older than he looks. (Maybe the bow tie knocks off a few years...:)).

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:55 pm

Just my opinion here, but the finest in my eyes today are Adam Levin, Artyom Dervoed, and Filomena Moretti, although I could name another 10 or so. But I like the repertoire of these three quite well.
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk

Sean Eric Howard

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Yeah, I'll add Jose Luis Ruiz del Puerto in that mix . . .
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk

GuitarB

Post by GuitarB » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:29 am

I would say irina kulikova, ana vidovic are my favorite.

Return to “Public Space”