Ipad or galaxy tablet for storing and reading notation

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Rahul

Re: Ipad or galaxy tablet for storing and reading notation

Post by Rahul » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:35 am

Rasputin wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:09 pm
Rahul wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:12 am
Is a 9.7 screen size enough to read music or should be have bigger screen size as thst also increases cost significantly.
I was wondering the same thing for a while. forScore will crop the pages (I think automatically) to remove the white space, which means that in portrait orientation, a 9.7 inch iPad will display one page of music at a scale of about 90%. If you go for the 10.5 inch, you can display one page at full size. The 12.9 inch is not big enough to display two pages at anything like full size, so there's not much point getting that one unless you want the big screen anyway.

I've found that there's a big difference between having a lot of sheet music and having a lot of sheet music that you play. The iPad / forScore solution obviously does work, but unless you genuinely have lots and lots of pieces on the go at one time, I'm not sure it's any better than paper. I definitely don't think it's any better on a 9.7 inch iPad, which is what I have. I got mine a couple of years ago and it does everything (else) I need just fine. The only point of upgrading would be to move to forScore, and for me it's not worth it. A bigger screen is not better in all respects (they don't fit in the seat pocket of many planes, for example). Also, if you use your iPad for recording / tuning / as a metronome etc., that is probably going to be easier if you are not also using it to display your music

If I was getting a new iPad anyway, I would probably go for the 10.5 inch version and give forScore a try, but if it was me I wouldn't buy an iPad of any size just for that - and definitely not the 9.7 inch.
Hi,

Yes I had the same thoughts about buying an iPad just for sheet music as I don't have loads of music I play right now. . Hence I was also thinking of ways to how to organise my loose sheets of paper so they could be managed in a better way.

Thanks

Feynman

Post by Feynman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:08 am

I use the normal iPad (not Pro, not Mini), and it's worth pointing out that you can use forScore either in portrait or landscape mode.

In portrait mode the music is a bit smaller than the printed version (in general, of course), and in landscape it is larger since you view/turn half pages at a time. I use mine in landscape most of the time.

Even in portrait mode, at least with my music, it isn't very different from the printed page. There tends to be a lot of white space to the left and right of printed music, and when you crop that out it's quite usable on screen (to me).

For me, carrying the iPad beats the three ring binder I've lugged for years. I wouldn't buy an iPad just for this app though. I assumed every house had an iPad. :)
-mitch

Rahul

Post by Rahul » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:43 am

Feynman wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:08 am
I wouldn't buy an iPad just for this app though. I assumed every house had an iPad. :)
Haha :)

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:24 am

Rasputin wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:09 pm
I've found that there's a big difference between having a lot of sheet music and having a lot of sheet music that you play. The iPad / forScore solution obviously does work, but unless you genuinely have lots and lots of pieces on the go at one time, I'm not sure it's any better than paper.
I agree with your screen size observations, but as far as paper is concerned I have gone completely digital. I still buy a fair amount of sheet music, but I promptly scan it. I use forScore to make annotations and markups etc. I build sets for various purposes (it's so easy). I occasionally open my old compilations to play from cover to cover, but I find myself either touching the page or hitting my foot pedal to turn the page. :oops:

I actually subscribe to Scribd dot com in order to find digital copies of music I already own, and I happily download compilations I own and index them on forScore. If I can't find a digital version I pay my daughters some cash to scan them for me.

I don't think I will be going to back to handling lots of various paper sources, printouts, old dog-eared sheets in paper folders, or fat non-ring-bound compilations, any time, ever. :mrgreen:
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:43 am

I tend to like tech in general but when it comes to printed material I have always been old school. I am not a fan of Kindle and absolutely hate trying to work from pdfs and electronic reference sources - so quite possibly I'm biased.

The other factor that occurred to me is how long the scores you are using tend to be. Any longer than 1 page and you have page turns on iPad, whereas you can set up at least 3 if not 4 sheets on a music stand and have no turns at all. I know turning the page is supposed to be very simple with a pedal, but now I think about it, there are times when you might want to go back a page - maybe more, if there's a repeat, might want to skip a page if there's a DC, etc. I am sure the scores can be marked / pedals can be configured to do that, but I am guessing there is more tap dancing involved than meets the eye.

Feynman

Post by Feynman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:45 pm

For multiple-page repeats and page jumps, I've found it more helpful (for me) to avoid the repeat link/jump feature.

On longer pieces, I just add extra copies of individual pages so that I only need to change pages forward.

It's very easy to rearrange and add duplicate pages within the app, so I just lay them out as they will be performed (ex. p1-p2-p3-p2-p3-p4-p1-p4, etc.).

I am starting to sound like a forScore shill, but I really appreciate the application. I had a lot of questions before I started using it, but I have been pleasantly surprised to find that they have offered clever approaches to any of my concerns.

I'm glad we have this thread. Perhaps we can share some operational tips with each other.
-mitch

Tim W

Post by Tim W » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:11 am

Thanks, Feynman! I had been dissatisfied with using AirTurn PED with forScore, but didn't know anyone who'd found a better solution until you mentioned your happiness with a PageFlip Butterfly. I took the plunge and it is exactly what I wanted. I too often play barefoot and on carpet. I have enough problems with the music itself to not need to worry about whether the AirTurn PED would actually advance the score when I needed it. It's a little bulkier, but that's the only slight negative I can find.

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:06 am

I use the PageFlip Firefly which for some reason is considered by the manufacturer to be more "premium" than the Butterfly (it was the only one sold at my local dealer) but they seem almost identical to me. I am very satisfied with it, and it's easy to turn forwards or backwards without a sound. The bluetooth connectivity just works.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:32 pm

There is a similar Windows app called Mobile Sheets - originally an Android app I think but available for Windows. Has anyone used it? My laptop has a much bigger screen than my iPad and if I was going to splash out it would probably make more sense to get a Surface Pro than a bigger iPad.

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:55 pm

If you happen to compose music as well, the Surface Pro has a very good and precise pen, and supports major notation software.

Rahul

Post by Rahul » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:45 am

Hi,

I see most are IPad users here. Has anyone used orpheus or sheet music app for android. Are they in any way much inferior to ipad forscore app ?

Has anyone used both and could update the difference.

Thanks

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:47 pm

The most popular Android app seems to be Mobile Sheets which is also available for Windows - if you have a Windows device already you can try it free for a day. Much cheaper to get a portable USB monitor for an existing laptop than to buy a tablet, and it would be a lot bigger. Less convenient maybe, not least because it needs a USB lead.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:54 pm

"If you go for the 10.5 inch, you can display one page at full size."

I just want to double check to make sure that this is accurate. A 10.5 inch is far cheaper than the Ipad pro, which is what I want. But if a 10.5 inch can honestly display a sheet of music at full size, and will accept one of those foot control page turning devices, then I'm down!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:52 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:54 pm
"If you go for the 10.5 inch, you can display one page at full size."

I just want to double check to make sure that this is accurate. A 10.5 inch is far cheaper than the Ipad pro, which is what I want. But if a 10.5 inch can honestly display a sheet of music at full size, and will accept one of those foot control page turning devices, then I'm down!
I hope I got that calculation right, but NB the 10.5 inch is a Pro. The original iPad size (not mini) is 9.7 inches. Right now there is a model that is just called iPad, which is only available as a 9.7 inch, then there's the iPad Pro, which is available in 10.5 or 12.9.

With the 9.7 inch you would have to shrink the page slightly (to about 90%) to view a whole page at a time in portrait. As Feynman pointed out, you can also use landscape, in which case you could actually magnify it a bit if you wanted, but you would only be seeing half a page at a time and would have more turns.

The 10.5 inch is 6.3 inches across and 8.4 inches tall
The 9.7 inch is 5.8 inches across and 7.7 inches tall

You can crop the pages in the app to get rid of the white space and I gather (though I haven't used it myself) it will do this automatically. I took a ruler to a piece of sheet music and found that the printed area was about the same size as the 10.5 inch screen.

I can't see a problem with the pedal even if you picked up an earlier iteration of the iPad.

StevSmar

Post by StevSmar » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:26 am

+1 for forescore.
Regards,

Steven from Winnipeg

Return to “Public Space”