Audition advice?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
redmcq

Re: Audition advice?

Post by redmcq » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:49 pm

Peter Frary wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:54 am
Bring a spare set of strings and a nail buffer and/or extra fine sandpaper just in case you need them. Nothing worse than a nail snag or busted string before blastoff.
Yeah will definitely, my nails seems to always snag all the time :/ .

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:52 pm

Whiteagle wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:52 am
I don't know anything about auditions. Do they ask you to play a scale? Sight read something?

I assume you will prepared a list of questions they might ask you written down and have well prepared answers you can deliver fluently and confidently.
Yeah, I will be asked to play scales and sight read / quick study .
I'll definetely make sure I prepare for potential questions also

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:57 pm

bear wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:36 am
Between now and then, play some gigs even if it means busking. Be so comfortable with an audience that you forget that they are there.
Yeah I need to, I've never busked before, have had a few performances though such as at a local guitar competition, judged by Amanda Cook but not many.

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:05 am

KBell wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:56 pm
bear wrote:
Between now and then, play some gigs even if it means busking. Be so comfortable with an audience that you forget that they are there.
Yes, to this - even if you have to have friends and family over for a 'recital' in your living room.

you may already do this, but I think taking time to do some score study without your guitar in hand can be extremely helpful. Closely reviewing sections to ensure you are clear on what you are expressing, clarity of phrasing, and voicing can be enhanced with score study in my experience
Yeah, definetely! I often play to family.

I have been doing this a bit but maybe not enough, I'll make sure I go into it more. Do you think studying from more of a theory point of view could help also? I recently read an analysis on Elogio de la Danza which I found very interesting and helpful.

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:05 am

KBell wrote:
bear wrote:
Yes, to this - even if you have to have friends and family over for a 'recital' in your living room.

you may already do this, but I think taking time to do some score study without your guitar in hand can be extremely helpful. Closely reviewing sections to ensure you are clear on what you are expressing, clarity of phrasing, and voicing can be enhanced with score study in my experience

I have been doing this a bit but maybe not enough, I'll make sure I go into it more. Do you think studying from more of a theory point of view could help also? I recently read an analysis on Elogio de la Danza which I found very interesting and helpful.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:48 am

redmcq wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:05 am
KBell wrote:
bear wrote:

The more you know about the pieces you are playing, the better.:-D
It means that you understand them in more depth and that understanding comes out in your interpretation. Also, if you are playing from memory, it makes that more robust under stress.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:36 am

When you audition, bear in mind that it’s not just your playing that’s being evaluated. Experienced teachers also want a student who’s coachable and a good fit with other students. A great player who seems a conceited ass may be passed over for a lesser player who seems eager to learn. So during your audition, conduct yourself accordingly. Be positive, attentive, curious, and easy to get along with.

If you think about it, how you play isn’t something you can entirely control. But you absolutely can control how you come across as a person. So during your audition control the thing you can control—as for the playing, prepare as well as you can and then let the chips fall where they may.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:19 am

lagartija wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:48 am
redmcq wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:05 am
KBell wrote:

The more you know about the pieces you are playing, the better.:-D
It means that you understand them in more depth and that understanding comes out in your interpretation. Also, if you are playing from memory, it makes that more robust under stress.
Yeah I agree, I'm playin all my pieces by memory, I feel if not playing from memory as in having
To look at the music it takes something away from my playing.

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:21 am

Tom Poore wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:36 am
When you audition, bear in mind that it’s not just your playing that’s being evaluated. Experienced teachers also want a student who’s coachable and a good fit with other students. A great player who seems a conceited ass may be passed over for a lesser player who seems eager to learn. So during your audition, conduct yourself accordingly. Be positive, attentive, curious, and easy to get along with.

If you think about it, how you play isn’t something you can entirely control. But you absolutely can control how you come across as a person. So during your audition control the thing you can control—as for the playing, prepare as well as you can and then let the chips fall where they may.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
Yeah that is very true! Good advice,
Thanks.

Return to “Public Space”