How would you spend it?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Granary Guitars

How would you spend it?

Post by Granary Guitars » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:53 am

I had a daydream the other day - one of many. Just suppose you had won the lottery jackpot and wanted to spend it all for the benefit of the classical guitar, how would you spend it? The only rules are that you can't use it to buy any guitars, nor get involved in the school/teaching systems, nor spend it on yourself!
Would you start a competition, hold a series of house recitals or concerts (like the lovely Vieaux one mentioned elsewhere here), fund bursaries, fund luthiers, commission new music, lobby Classic fm to broaden their guitar horizons 😉, fund a regular radio programme devoted to the guitar, etc.? What would you do to help the cause?
Al

lagartija

Re: How would you spend it?

Post by lagartija » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:24 am

I would initiate a classical guitar concert series, and endow a fund to keep it going after I die. I would fund a visiting artist program for classical guitar, either for a player or for a composer to compose works for the instrument.

:-D
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:07 am

Methinks I'd donate to build a performing arts center at my local college: small concert hall with perfect acoustics for classical guitar, audio and video recording studios, practice rooms, large offices with a view for guitar faculty, classrooms optimized for guitar ensemble rehearsals with lighting panels and small stage, etc. Should only cost 15 million of my 650 million so I can afford it...

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:12 pm

Peter Frary wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:07 am
Methinks I'd donate to build a performing arts center at my local college: small concert hall with perfect acoustics for classical guitar, audio and video recording studios, practice rooms, large offices with a view for guitar faculty, classrooms optimized for guitar ensemble rehearsals with lighting panels and small stage, etc. Should only cost 15 million of my 650 million so I can afford it...
Your lottery win was larger than mine! :lol:
I was thinking I won about 3 million.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:15 pm

I'd buy my wife a selection of fine guitars ...
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:32 pm

Granary Guitars wrote: The only rules are that you can't use it to buy any guitars,
This is the most tragic part.

Granary Guitars

Post by Granary Guitars » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:40 pm

I've just won £25 on this month's Premium Bonds! So I'll see if I can tempt JB out of retirement with it.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:16 pm

Contreras wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:15 pm
Sneaky! :lol: Although the rules say you can't buy guitars. :(
Last edited by Pat Dodson on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:41 pm

Seeing as how with your rules I can't use any paragon options, I'd have to go renegade and bribe the Grammys.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

PaulHardy

Post by PaulHardy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:13 pm

I'd fund/underwrite some recordings of key repertoire that perhaps isn't commercially viable. Such as;

the 24 preludes & fugues of Rekhin and Koshkin

Peter Maxwell Davies' works other than Stromness

...errm, maybe the works of Apivor and other serialists, because it's an archive that needs to be acknowledged even if it doesn't have mass appeal

Then a recital of chamber works for flute, viola and guitar; to have the Matiegka Nocturne paired with Jarmil Burghauser's trio (a Czech pairing across history) etc

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:44 am

Pat Dodson wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:16 pm
Contreras wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:15 pm
Sneaky! :lol: Although the rules say you can't buy guitars. :(
Pat, Pat, Pat .... Rules are made to be broken ... So I could 'lend' her the money, maybe?
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:47 am

You did not want to get involved with teaching, does that include luthier schools? Perhaps fund some of the basic research that is now done by luthiers when they have spare time....
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:26 am

I will buy all the guitars in the world that I like and set up a guitar museum. The catch here is the museum is not open to the public. It's only meant for me. Hope I didn't break any rules here. :lol:

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 am

The noble thing would be to buy as many £100 guitars as the lottery win would allow and dish them all out to the poor kids of the world. Eventually or ultimately everyone benefits - the kids, teachers. luthiers, the listening public.
It breaks the rules though.
They are such rigid and mean spirited rules!
Historicalguitars.

dory

Post by dory » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:20 pm

If I couldn't buy guitars I would set up guitar training schools in urban areas for kids who couldn't afford music lessons and hire local teachers to staff them. Then I would beg for donations of beater guitars, look for grant funding to buy guitars, whatever Imcould do so my students could get something to play. I would donate my own beater guitar but one guitar wouldn't gonvery far. If I won a whole lot of money I would set some of these up in prisons too. This sounds like a LOT of fun. I think I deserve to win the lottery although in that case I would buy guitars too.
Dory

Return to “Public Space”