Sight reading tips and where to find good sources for pieces to sight read

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
redmcq

Sight reading tips and where to find good sources for pieces to sight read

Post by redmcq » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:49 pm

Hello, I'm looking for some tips on improving in sight reading and quick studying pieces.

Also anyone know any good books or sources for pieces I can sight read? Been through most sightreasing practicing books on amazon. Playing at grade 8 standard so looking for pieces to sight read and quick study at grade 8 standard.

Thanks.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: Sight reading tips and where to find good sources for pieces to sight read

Post by simonm » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:59 pm

There was a very recent thread on the subject recently - don't be put off by the title. The gist of it was that sight reading tests are generally 2-3 levels below your regular level. So if you don't already know all the the music in the level 6 pdf here that would be a fine start for material. You could pick your way through the various free collections such as the Boije. Some would be too easy, some too hard but all of it would develop your experience.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:20 pm

I recently spent a couple of weeks intensively working on my sight-reading. I started along the lines suggested by Simon - I played through all the pieces in the Delcamp collection from level 5 to level 8. Then I sorted my collection of music, and in doing so played them all. I played them straight off, no more than a few moments preparation, and no repeating. Of course there were some that I could not handle, but many that I could make a passable attempt at. I have gone through as many texts and samples as I could find. Recently I stumbled across this thread in which there is mention of the AMEB sight-reading text, so I have ordered a copy of that in the hope that there are some useful pieces in it.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:01 pm

I have a question: Since guitar fingerings are so idiosyncratic, does anyone ever reach the point where they can just play the music in front of them when such music is in the advanced category? I would think that even a master like Segovia would have found it quite challenging to just sight-read a suite by Weiss arranged for guitar.

~Sean

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:11 am

I assume you've got the Trinity and ABRSM sight-reading practice books. The Iceland Guitar School site has lots of free music. They have started grading their pieces so anything they grade as 5 or 6 should be suitable.

If you are planning to take the Trinity grade 8 exam, don't forget the format of the aural exam has changed.

When I took my grade 7 last summer the examiner said "Sight-reading. Ah! the guitarist's great weakness." He must have been feeling generous as he gave me 8 out of 10.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:59 pm

Cheers guys! How about quick study's, would you quick study a harder piece than what you would sight read ?

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:38 pm

simonm wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:59 pm
There was a very recent thread on the subject recently - don't be put off by the title. The gist of it was that sight reading tests are generally 2-3 levels below your regular level. So if you don't already know all the the music in the level 6 pdf here that would be a fine start for material. You could pick your way through the various free collections such as the Boije. Some would be too easy, some too hard but all of it would develop your experience.
Hi, where can I find this PDF with grade 6 pieces and also where can I find a grade 5 one if there is one.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:47 pm

Redmcq, for access to these Delcamp scores you need to subscribe to the 020 usergroup (see here).
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:41 pm

George Crocket wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:47 pm
Redmcq, for access to these Delcamp scores you need to subscribe to the 020 usergroup (see here).
Thanks

Return to “Public Space”