Flamenco guitar for Classical

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Guitarhancock

Flamenco guitar for Classical

Post by Guitarhancock » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:23 am

I have two very good guitars, ...a spruce and cedar classical Would I "enjoy" a flamenco guitar to play classical music?

What difference in sound would I hear?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Kurt Penner

Re: Flamenco guitar for Classical

Post by Kurt Penner » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:45 am

I have no experience with flamenco guitars specifically, but FWIW, classical guitar music always sounds interesting to me when played on other instruments. I sometimes play my pieces on my steel string Larrivee and quite enjoy the change in timbre.

KP

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:58 am

A classical guitar is perfectly suitable for playing flamenco. In fact, there are several famous virtuoso flamenco guitarists who play on a classical. Use the spruce. You will have to get clear static cling golpeadores.

The difference in sound is mainly in the bass - deeper, fuller, but the trebles will also have somewhat more body. The overall sound will be less thin and less bright than a flamenco guitar. You will likely also have higher action, which of course could be lowered.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Guitarhancock

Post by Guitarhancock » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:06 am

Ramon, my question is would I like playing classical music on a flamenco guitar?

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:23 am

The short answer - having tried one in Madrid a few years back - is no. A flamenco guitar is built for flamenco; you lose the warm bass sound and a lot of the sustain and it would be a very frustrating experience.

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:50 am

And my short answer is "yes, CG music works very well on FG". For my ears, the sustain is often annoying and I prefer the clarity of a flamenco for certain works.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:05 pm

Guitarhancock wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:06 am
Ramon, my question is would I like playing classical music on a flamenco guitar?
Yes.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Claughton

Post by Claughton » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:54 pm

I wandered into a guitar shop in Barcelona a few years ago just for a look round. Anyway the owner persuaded me I needed a flamenco guitar. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I never have got any good at it . Occasionally I play classical on it...it sounds ok but frankly isn't quite right to my ear. Give it a go !

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:10 am

I am currently playing classical guitar on a cheap flamenco guitar. I am playing a Almansa 413 entry level flamenco. The guitar has a spruce top and laminated sycamore back and sides. It's actually not too bad either. It sounds pretty good with nice sustain. The action is pretty high as I haven't set it up either. I really need to though as playing barre chords makes it hard, especially higher up the fretboard. It's not too bad and it sounds a little better when I change strings on it. As of now, I haven't changed strings on it for a very long time. I just wanted something cheaper to play around the house and nothing very expensive. I hope this helps some. :) :bye:

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:13 pm

I play classical on my Rodriguez Sabicas FF blanco all the time. I love it! The action is so wonderful that I converted all my classicals to flamenco action of 3.0-2.5mm. Yeah - the sound is different, but you asked about "playing". It's actually easier on a flamenco due to tight action. The clarity and articulation of the Sabicas FF is really very nice, as are the booming basses and traditional flamenco sound that Rodriguez is known for. I have a cheaper cedar top classical where the overtones are very nice but get fairly muddy. My custom Gore has the best of all worlds: tight action, clarity and articulation, note separation, massive overtones that are clear and beautiful due to the afore mentioned attributes. So depending on the instrument, it is very doable - and I do exactly that daily.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

satanikoskioftes

Post by satanikoskioftes » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:17 pm

As far as i know there are some changes in the bracing system but the most important change is the action. Flamenco guitars are much more low than a standard classical. If you set up the guitar properly you wont have an issue. Also since the right hand does some moves that may damage the top really bad with the nails you must add some sort of protection or be really careful

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:44 pm

spanishguitarmusic wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:10 am
I am currently playing classical guitar on a cheap flamenco guitar. I am playing a Almansa 413 entry level flamenco. The guitar has a spruce top and laminated sycamore back and sides. It's actually not too bad either. It sounds pretty good with nice sustain. The action is pretty high as I haven't set it up either. I really need to though as playing barre chords makes it hard, especially higher up the fretboard. It's not too bad and it sounds a little better when I change strings on it. As of now, I haven't changed strings on it for a very long time. I just wanted something cheaper to play around the house and nothing very expensive. I hope this helps some. :) :bye:
I had a Rodriguez flamenco, that I bought from a chap in Australia. And paid about 135 bucks plus 60 to ship it. It was a model CF3, back and sides were lam sycamore and the top was spruce. We put LaBella 2001 Flamenco strings on it and it sounded pretty good. The notes decayed a little quicker than on my CG, and the trebles were really jangly, almost like a steel string. It made playing Aguado very lively. I think the OP would enjoy it. I know my daughter and I did. She doesn't miss it too much now, as she has a Ramirez, which we traded the flamenco in on.

A Flamenco can make certain repertoire really spring to life.

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:30 am

Guitarhancock wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:06 am
I'd say yes, with a flamenca negra with a slightly
raised nut and saddle.

Return to “Public Space”