How to play part in Bach' Prelude BWV 998

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
soltirefa

Re: How to play part in Bach' Prelude BWV 998

Post by soltirefa » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:04 pm
soltirefa wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:53 pm
That isn't what I meant when I questioned his use of "guys." I was (perhaps selfishly) saying, "Hello, I'm THE one who gave you the very information and a reference to what you wanted to know. When I saw the OP's question I took the time to find the Acoustic Guitar Magazine in my files, take a picture of David Russell's measure 40, open a dropbox account and upload it for the OP. So thanks guys didn't seem like the reply I thought might be appropriate.

How about, "Wow, that's exactly what I I was looking for."
Fair enough. Well that clip is close but not exactly what Jason plays though, since exactitude is called for 8)
True, although the OP referred to David Russell doing that, too. :shock:

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:14 pm

lagartija wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:49 pm
Yes, it is a problem, isn't it? :-)
Around where I live we've always used "guys" to be all inclusive, however in the south, they use "y'all", which is much more egalitarian. Recently, in the college age groups I have been hearing "peeps", which is short for people.

So that would be "Cheers, Peeps!" or "Cheers Y'all!".
;-)
Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:42 pm
Among guys..."guys" is all inclusive. At least that's my take. It's meant as a friendly way to indicate the men and women involved. And to be fair, there don't seem to be any feminine equivalents. "Gals" is likely to get you your head served up on a platter. "Girls" won't work either; "guys and women" is awkward; "dolls...." are you kidding me? What to do, what to do?
To me it's all inclusive but somehow defeminising. It's a bit like when girls call guys 'mate' to signal that they're not interested.

Gordon Guttmann
Amateur luthier

Post by Gordon Guttmann » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:21 pm

998 is fantastic! I've been working on it daily for a year and a half and to play it well I think it will take me four years. But, what a great project. I would recommend a software program called (transcribe!) to catch all the audio and visual details. You can slow down the video and maintain the correct pitch. I've used it a lot for videos where sheet is not available.

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:31 am

soltirefa wrote:
That isn't what I meant when I questioned his use of "guys." I was (perhaps selfishly) saying, "Hello, I'm THE one who gave you the very information and a reference to what you wanted to know." When I saw the OP's question I took the time to find the Acoustic Guitar Magazine in my files, take a picture of David Russell's measure 40, open a dropbox account and upload it for the OP. So thanks guys didn't seem like the reply I thought might be appropriate.

Yeah sorry, didn't mean to be rude. Thank you I do appreciate your time and help.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:03 pm

It seems to be a typical improvised cadenza over a third inversion seventh. Play what you like! The idea is that the player gets a chance to ornament and stress the pause that occurs here to build and hold the tension for a moment or two before finishing off with flourish. I'm not even sure we should be copying other people's cadenzas. Best to make up something to suit yourself.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:49 pm

redmcq wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:31 am
soltirefa wrote:
That isn't what I meant when I questioned his use of "guys." I was (perhaps selfishly) saying, "Hello, I'm THE one who gave you the very information and a reference to what you wanted to know." When I saw the OP's question I took the time to find the Acoustic Guitar Magazine in my files, take a picture of David Russell's measure 40, open a dropbox account and upload it for the OP. So thanks guys didn't seem like the reply I thought might be appropriate.

Yeah sorry, didn't mean to be rude. Thank you I do appreciate your time and help.
That's nice of you to say that. No problems and you're welcome. Glad to help.

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:51 pm

PeteJ wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:03 pm
It seems to be a typical improvised cadenza over a third inversion seventh. Play what you like! The idea is that the player gets a chance to ornament and stress the pause that occurs here to build and hold the tension for a moment or two before finishing off with flourish. I'm not even sure we should be copying other people's cadenzas. Best to make up something to suit yourself.
Alright yeah I'll take note of that thanks.

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:53 pm

Gordon Guttmann wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:21 pm
998 is fantastic! I've been working on it daily for a year and a half and to play it well I think it will take me four years. But, what a great project. I would recommend a software program called (transcribe!) to catch all the audio and visual details. You can slow down the video and maintain the correct pitch. I've used it a lot for videos where sheet is not available.
Yeah 998 is great! I haven't played the allegro , but love playing the prelude and fugue, the fugue is a tough piece!
I'll check transcribe out thanks

Return to “Public Space”