Betho Davezac

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
strungup

Betho Davezac

Postby strungup » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:46 am

I've just been listening to an old tape I made of a recital by Davezac in about 1972, and I'm still delighted by his playing, especially of the 18th century lutenist, and contemporary of Weiss, Ernst Gottlieb Baron (the Suite in A). I haven't found much on google though - any one know what he's doing now?
Player since about 1970 - Grade 7 Guildhall. Guitar: Christopher Dean, 2002

owl

Postby owl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:35 am

Several years ago he was teaching at L'Ecole Nationale de Musique in Meudon France... I don't know if he is still there though.
Maybe you could 'google' the school

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

strungup

Postby strungup » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:04 pm

Thanks Owl. I'll give it a go
Player since about 1970 - Grade 7 Guildhall. Guitar: Christopher Dean, 2002

Recercare

Re: Betho Davezac

Postby Recercare » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:04 am

I like Gottlieb Baron.
P.K Farstad, a Norwegian guitar player, has released a double-cd called "Galant Guitar" which includes "Fantasia" and a Suite (not the suite in A).

Kind regards
.lars

Valéry Sauvage

Postby Valéry Sauvage » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:41 am

I think he is not teaching any more, but directed a contemporary music guitar ensemble : Harmonic 12. I meet him a few times, great musician and very fine person.
see : http://membres.lycos.fr/harmonique12/accueil.html
Val ;-)
Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.

Brynmor

Postby Brynmor » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:16 pm

strungup wrote:I've just been listening to an old tape I made of a recital by Davezac in about 1972, and I'm still delighted by his playing, especially of the 18th century lutenist, and contemporary of Weiss, Ernst Gottlieb Baron (the Suite in A). I haven't found much on google though - any one know what he's doing now?

Your mail reminded me that I have an LP of Betho Davezac and prompted me to play it for the first time in over 20 years. I had forgotten what a delightful player he was. The LP in question was on the French Erato label, entitled Musique Elisabethaine and issued in 1973. Davezac is playing a 1971 Masaru Kohno guitar, which sounds excellent, and the composers covered are John Dowland ( 9 pieces taking up the whole of side 1), Francis Cutting, Baruch Bulman, Robert Johnson, Thomas Morley and Daniel Batchelar. The biography on the cover says that Davezac was born in Uruguay in 1938 and attended masterclasses with Segovia in Santiago de Compostela and with Alirio Diaz in Alessandria.

cadiz

Postby cadiz » Sun May 09, 2010 12:42 pm

I have just found a photo (beautiful) and very recent (2009) of Betho Davezac.

This photo, rare, holds me with heart, because I was his student during two years in Meudon (France), with my first price in the pocket, almost thirty years ago from now on.... :(

I have tried to join again the contact with him for several months. For the moment, I do not reach that point… But this photo, perharps, catch at the time of a competition for young guitarists in the Paris region (Montigny-le-Bretonneux) the last year, offers a new chance for my search… :)

Betho Davezac, Montigny-le-Bretonneux, 2009 05 09 concours guitare-81.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Public Space”