Playing Leyenda

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.

Playing Leyenda

Postby ihategeoffrey » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:47 pm

Hello, my name is Geoff and I'm a high school senior. I'm entering Solo & Ensemble this year to play Leyenda by Isaac Albenez. I've memorize the entire piece and can play almost all of it at almost full speed except for ONE part (it's driving me insane).

In the middle of the first part of the song, it goes into a part where a chord (B major) is played and several triplets consisting of a note and two B's in a row. I can play arpeggios this fast but I'm finding it almost impossible to play the exact same note on the exact same string that fast. Does anyone have any tips?

BTW: I'm playing on a steel string guitar at the moment, I should be able to borrow a nylon by the contest. Also, I pay no attention to what length or condition my right hand nails are in.

Thanks for the help!
ihategeoffrey

Postby nylonthanh » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:31 pm

I don't know the music, but is it played on either the B or E string for these triplets? Are you chords or single notes? If it's a single note, is it a tremolo? I'm not familiar with the piece or can get the music for it.
nylonthanh

Postby ihategeoffrey » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:37 pm

The measures that I am talking about begin with a B Major chord that lasts an eigth note followed by a series of 16th triplets.

The triplets begin with a note (varies by triplet) and is followed by two open B's on the 2nd string. I'm having trouble with the two open notes because it's so difficult to play the exact same note, especially on an open string, that fast (it's supposed to be 132 BPM).
ihategeoffrey

Postby nylonthanh » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:43 pm

easy answer is not to play it as an open string. Half the time the fingering are by the publisher and not the composer.

part of my technical exercies include tone concentration. Remembering back when I had percussion lessons, I use to do rudiments (left, right, left, right... etc sticking patterns with different rhythms) and you had to listen to equal out the tones.

An exercise is listening for equal tone with all fingers. I start doing index... i, i, i, i, etc until it's the same. Then I swith i, m until it's the same for a long period of time, then I do i, a, ... ima .... ami...which leads me into tremolo study.

Also, I always do my scales and exercises because it helps with evening out notes as well.
nylonthanh

Postby owl » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:55 pm

ihategeoffrey wrote:I'm having trouble with the two open notes because it's so difficult to play the exact same note, especially on an open string, that fast (it's supposed to be 132 BPM).

Then SLOW it down Geoff... in my opinion 132bpm is too fast... regardless of what the tempo marking is!

Also take care of your nails... although if you are playing a steel string that will be a bit futile! :roll:
You also need to practice on nylon... how can you possibly achieve the best tone, colour, (or speed) etc, on a steel string.

Sorry to be so pedantic but you are doing yourself and the music a disservice here!

@ nylonthanh
Here is the mp3

(Broken link removed)

Here is the score... you will find it under Level 8... I find it amazing, that as a guitar student you don't know (of) this music!
viewtopic.php?t=7589

Owl
Last edited by owl on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.
owl

Postby Tomas-Lobos » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:14 am

Here is the great one himself playing Leyenda. As you'll see speed isn't the determining factor in playing this piece. Enjoy and cheers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1ICFdH7 ... ed&search=
Tomas-Lobos

Postby owl » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:22 am

Tomas-Lobos wrote:Here is the great one himself playing Leyenda. As you'll see speed isn't the determining factor in playing this piece.

Ah!... now you're talkin'!
My thoughts exactly!

Thanks for the link :lol:

Owl
owl

Postby ihategeoffrey » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:01 am

I've sort of tried to compensate for just that one part by bringing the tempo down to like... somewhere around 100 BPM (but I still have trouble playing that single part at that speed). Wow, and that recording is probably even slower.

Thanks for the help but I'm guessing it'll be easier to do that with nylon strings (a bit thicker).

(and I think it would be much harder to not play the B's on an open note).
ihategeoffrey

Postby owl » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:09 am

ihategeoffrey wrote:(and I think it would be much harder to not play the B's on an open note).

I agree Geoff... stay in touch... let's know how you get on :lol:

Owl
owl

Postby ihategeoffrey » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:37 am

haha, sure. I have a pretty good chance at making it to state (there are usually only one or two guitarists every year in our region).

I actually used to play bluegrass (Chet Atkins) stuff before I learned Leyenda.
ihategeoffrey

Postby owl » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:46 am

Ah!... I get it!
Are you now making the leap into classical?

Owl
owl

Postby roninartist » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

what I do is ignore playing the both B's on the open B, and play a triplet with the high B on the High E string. The tone is alot better that way, kinda 12 stringish. Let me know if this makes sense.
roninartist

Postby sixtytwori » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:05 pm

nylonthanh, you probably know it better as asturius

roninartist, you play it the same way as segovia plays it, and this,to me is the best way

S
sixtytwori

is it this way??

Postby Genesis » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:33 am

i think i kinda know your problem...you play the melody which is the first among the triplets on the string d..the back part should be like tremolo one the open string...hope that helps you...that part should not be a big problem if you can execute it correctly...
Genesis

Postby MallowDick » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:37 am

Not wishing to get into an argument, but my personal favourite performance of this piece is by John Williams, not Segovia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfFbuT3I6A
MallowDick

Next

Return to Classical Guitar technique