Takamine C-128

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Harold

Takamine C-128

Postby Harold » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:00 pm

Good Morning

I’m new here and also a beginner, please excuse my ignorance. I bought a guitar 20+ years ago and found I didn’t have the time to practice so it went into a closet and I now am retired and want to try again. My guitar is a Takamine C-128 I can’t remember how much it cost and wouldn’t know a good guitar from a bad one at this point. I’m know it fits into the beginner bracket but I’m curious about its quality. Could someone tell me something about it?

Vesuvio

Re: Takamine C-128

Postby Vesuvio » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:24 pm

Hello Harold,

How does the guitar sound? I think the critical issue is whether you like the sound you can obtain from it.

I wouldn't be thinking of changing or upgrading for a few months, not before you have spent a while developing the tone of your playing.

Best wishes, V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

cutnstuf

Postby cutnstuf » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:33 pm

I've tried a couple of Takamines and thought they were pretty nice. I agree with Vesuvio. If it's in good shape and you like the way it sounds, you're good to go.

Cut

Quinbus

Postby Quinbus » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:28 pm

I would, however, take it to someone competent to make sure it is properly set up. I started with a cheaper quality guitar. After it was properly adjusted at a classical store I found it much nicer to play.

Guitar Slim

Postby Guitar Slim » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:29 pm

Takamine is a reputable manufacturer of low- and mid-priced classical guitars. I don't know if they still make it, but for many years the C-128 was one of their entry-level solid-top unplugged classicals. A quick search on the internet revealed a handful of used ones being sold from $150-$300 -- but no new ones!

It should be just fine for a beginning student, Taks tend to be solidly constructed and fairly easy to play.

I agree with the others though, who adivsed you to have it checked out and setup by a repair person. Who knows what 20 years in storage might have done to the neck, the soundboard and the wood in general. Have you noticed any cracks?

Best of luck!
"If you only practice what you already know how to do, you'll only ever be good at what you're already good at."

Harold

Postby Harold » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:21 pm

Thanks everyone
I loosened the strings when I put it to bed. The neck is straight and it shows no signs of storage damage, the only thing I see are two small nicks. I put new strings on it and I’m sure it’s in better shape than I am at this point, and I’m sure it would sound fine if someone else was playing it. :guitare:

Guitar Slim

Postby Guitar Slim » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:49 pm

Just curious, do you know if it's a spruce or cedar top? Spruce would a probably be a lighter, yellowish color; cedar would be a medium brown or reddish brown. That's just the "front" of the guitar -- the back and sides should be a dark reddish brown, probably rosewood.

Who knows, once you've played it a bit and loosened up the top, it may sound better than it ever did when it was new!
"If you only practice what you already know how to do, you'll only ever be good at what you're already good at."

Harold

Postby Harold » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:24 pm

Good Morning

The top is a light color so its probably spruce.

cfusch

Postby cfusch » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:53 am

HAROLD: This was a *really* old post, and if you are still there, you might like know this.

I purchased a brand new Takamine C-128 in 1979 at a guitar/music store in Atlanta, Georgia for $149. About 15 years ago, I took it to a classical guitar shop in San Francisco to change the action. I was offered $5,000 for the guitar by the store owner! I almost dropped dead.

As those who replied earlier to your post, ... it all depends on the sound. Every guitar is unique, even those mass produced at a low-end by Takamine. There's something magical attached to every one of them. This has been the most remarkable guitar I have ever owned.

Carl

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:03 am

Hi Carl, welcome to the forum. Could I invite you to introduce yourself in here? By the way, I'm afraid Harold's account is no longer active, but others may be interested in your story anyway.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

altnaez

Postby altnaez » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi Harold.
I've got a c-128 I bought in 1981, when I first started taking classical guitar lessons. It is in perfect shape just the usual wear. Mine has a 660 mm scale length, the headstock is a copy of a Ramirez 1A and it was picket by my teacher at the time from a whole bunch of Takamine and other brands. Since then both my children have taken lessons with it. I think you have a real nice begginers instrument.

Albert

Marco.Silva

Postby Marco.Silva » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:18 pm

Harold wrote:Good Morning

I’m new here and also a beginner, please excuse my ignorance. I bought a guitar 20+ years ago and found I didn’t have the time to practice so it went into a closet and I now am retired and want to try again. My guitar is a Takamine C-128 I can’t remember how much it cost and wouldn’t know a good guitar from a bad one at this point. I’m know it fits into the beginner bracket but I’m curious about its quality. Could someone tell me something about it?

Japanese guitars are well buit, and this model is perfect for a begginer. I have 3 nice guitars but can only improve if I play. :D
I agree with Quinbus, take it to a music store and check the set-up, and specifically the action and if strings are still good.

You will know when you are ready to move on to a better guitar.
Regards,
Marco
1966, 1970, & 71 Di Giorgio Autor 3 1970 Giannini AWN 100 1968 Riojy Matuoka Special#2 1973 Hiroshi Tamura 1974

skmcclure

Postby skmcclure » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:11 pm

cfusch wrote:HAROLD: This was a *really* old post, and if you are still there, you might like know this.

I purchased a brand new Takamine C-128 in 1979 at a guitar/music store in Atlanta, Georgia for $149. About 15 years ago, I took it to a classical guitar shop in San Francisco to change the action. I was offered $5,000 for the guitar by the store owner! I almost dropped dead.

As those who replied earlier to your post, ... it all depends on the sound. Every guitar is unique, even those mass produced at a low-end by Takamine. There's something magical attached to every one of them. This has been the most remarkable guitar I have ever owned.

Carl

What guitar did you buy with the $5K? :)

jas

Postby jas » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:58 am

I have a C128 and I love playing it. It doesn't have a great amount of volume, but it plays well. It's also a very solid giutar and will be a great guitar to just sit and play. Just keep it clean and it will reward you with good sound. You might want to take it to a shop and check for loose freits.
jas

sigma9r

Postby sigma9r » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:43 pm

cfusch wrote:HAROLD: This was a *really* old post, and if you are still there, you might like know this.

Carl

Carl,
My folks also bought me a C-128 in 1979 while I was a guitar major at the University of Tennessee at Martin. It was my instructor's pick as well (he said that Chet Atkins played a C-128 on his boat; that way if it fell in the lake he wouldn't worry about it!!) and I've played it exclusively, except a Strat, since then.
$5K? OK, now I'm impressed!
Dad said the guitar, in 1979, cost more than my first car...well, you didn't see my first car!
Question, however, is how do you set up a classical guitar, unless you replace the bridge.
Wiley Winter

Return to “Public Space”