hill signature guitar?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

hill signature guitar?

Postby lundquist1992 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:32 pm

any feedback on the signature im looking to buy
lundquist1992

Re: hill signature guitar?

Postby Alexis » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:05 pm

I just played his signature series on Saturday, he was down here @ the montreal guitar show. He is a gentleman, very cool guy. I was not impressed with his guitars though, I played them all including the signature series and I found them a bit quiet. I wasn't crazy about the feel either.

Alexis
Alexis

Postby lundquist1992 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:21 pm

really? thanks i have his player series from the new world line and it sounds amazing but it is a little quiet. man thats a bummer then wat general suggetions for a high end classical guitar concert level just for an idea
lundquist1992

Postby khayes » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:28 pm

Alexis wrote:I just played his signature series on Saturday, he was down here @ the montreal guitar show. He is a gentleman, very cool guy. I was not impressed with his guitars though, I played them all including the signature series and I found them a bit quiet. I wasn't crazy about the feel either.

Alexis

I haven't played a Signature - only the Rodriguez - and while I did like the sound, I do agree with Alexis -I was not crazy about the feel of that guitar either. The neck felt a little chunky to me. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Ken

1977 Ramirez 1A
2008 Alhambra 11P
2004 Taylor 310-CE
khayes

Postby bargavm » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:15 pm

I own a Kenny Hill "Fleta" model and have nothing but the strongest praise for it. When it was shipped to me, it was strung with D'addario composites which I thought made it sound very dull. The best way I can describe the feel of the guitar with the D'addario strings is "clumsy".
I promptly switched the strings to my usual Savarez, and got an entirely different guitar. Excellent tone/volume/separation, and it has only gotten better over the last year I've played it. Maybe the poor first impressions are because of Mr. Hill's choice of strings?
bargavm

Postby Alexis » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:26 pm

It could very well be that the strings were not adequate. I don't remember what he had on them...

After playing most of the CG's at the show where I played Hill's guitar I discussed with other classical guitarists and all concurred with my opinion of Hill's guitars, if in fact it is the strings that take away from the instrument - it would be a very sad situation...

The best guitar I played @ the show was an Alejandro Cervantes Master Series, it sounded miles away from Hill's CGs.

Alexis
Alexis

Postby GuitarVlog » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:01 pm

Alexis wrote:It could very well be that the strings were not adequate. I don't remember what he had on them...

I understand that Kenny does have a preference for D'Addario strings and uses them for his Master and Signature guitars. In a couple of conversations with him at his shop, I got the distinct impression that he doesn't like bright strings like Savarez.

I was just at his shop this morning and tried out his new Manuel Reyes flamenco guitar (based on Tom Blackshear's plans). It was a very impressive instrument and I was rather captivated by it's volume, presence, and tone. Larry Darnell was hosting me when the phone rang. I courteously played the instrument very softly and was surprised to find how much of its qualities still came through with a light touch. The action made it a wonderfully easy, fast and fun guitar to play. It's playability is IMHO the best that I've experienced to date.

Larry has yet to add it to their online catalog. I was told that R.E. Brune bought the first two.
"The hardest time for most guitar players is the beginning stage, because it is all investment and no return." - Charlotte Adams
"It's not your guitar or lute that matters but what you can do with it." - Moi
GuitarVlog

Postby Erik Zurcher » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:21 pm

One of my guitars is a Hill Fleta model. It's a wonderful guitar if you use Hannabach Goldin strings. The first string sounds a bit metallic so I change that one with D'Addario Hard Tension for more warmth. The Goldin g-string is probably the best in the world: it is wound and very thin compared to other brands. The sound of a Hill Fleta model is robust and loud and has great projection. Of coarse, you have to play very 'neat', because it magnifies scratching sounds as well.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004, Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master, you doomed to be its slave".
Erik Zurcher

Postby bargavm » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:28 am

Alexis, I can't begin to tell you how bad Mr. Hill's string choice for the "Fleta" is! The difference switching from D'Addario to Savarez was really night and day.

E.Zurcher -- is your "Fleta" a spruce top by any chance? I hear Mr. Hill uses Hannabach Goldins as his standard for the spruce tops.
bargavm

Postby bargavm » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:29 am

http://www.newmillguitar.com/hill.html

Scroll down to the part of the review discussing the "Fleta" model. First complaint: strings.
bargavm

Postby Erik Zurcher » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:21 am

bargavm wrote:Alexis, I can't begin to tell you how bad Mr. Hill's string choice for the "Fleta" is! The difference switching from D'Addario to Savarez was really night and day.

E.Zurcher -- is your "Fleta" a spruce top by any chance? I hear Mr. Hill uses Hannabach Goldins as his standard for the spruce tops.

No, mine is a cedar top. By the way, my guitar sounds also great with D'addario Hard Tension (not the composite, but the regular nylon)
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004, Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master, you doomed to be its slave".
Erik Zurcher

Postby dadsb » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:33 am

hello from Paris

I have tried last week a spruce signature with Braz and really was voiceless... I purchased one to the 1856 Torres small scale guitar from kenny which is really amazing .. but the Signature is really wonderful. The guitar was fully opened and belongs to a E. Rossferder a French gutiarist...
I could compare the guitar to my Lattice Redgate which is already a suprising guitar.

The difference was that the Kenny hill with the double is closer from a "regular" guitar mostly in the way the sound is coming - the redgate produces for each note a 'small' explosion with a very dymanique sound. But the harmonic and the power is really compareable to the redgate .... it is a singing guitar and warm with a lot of sound separation..

Compared to all the guitar I have tried I will say that the Kenny Hill signature will be my favorite compared as well to the redagte which is much more expensive.....

Maybe you should try to play a braz model .. and as well not a new one but an opened one ..

regards

André
lots of lattice & double top, 6 course Lute Paul Tompson, , acoustic guitar , H&D OOSP, Blue Fower fender telecaster and some more
dadsb

Strings and Players

Postby hillguitar » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:12 pm

From the Hill website -

I send the guitars out with high tension strings...

...We always put high tension strings on the guitar, but I don't have an opinion on whether that is the best choice. Each person finds out for themselves. I suggest trying a variety of string brands and tensions to come up with the right combination for your own technique and your own guitar. - Kenny Hill

We use D'Addario J46 High tension strings, not because we think they are the *best* strings. The rationale for doing so is, as stated above; the D'Addario are available most everywhere, they provide a baseline consistency most of the time for us in evaluating each guitar and, so far, we feel our guitars present well with them.

We have been using these strings for 10 years and, until now, have had few objections regarding our guitars in general and strings in particular. We have spent very little time doing string comparisons and evaluations.

We have also used Hannabach high tension strings, but decided many years ago to stick with D'Addario to minimize confusion. We have installed Hannabach Goldin strings on Crossover guitars.

Mr. Cooperman shared his web-posted string comments with us. He is an astute and knowledgeable guitarist. We appreciate the time and effort he took to share his opinion.

String choice, like guitar choice is very subjective and, we believe, best left to the individual.

In response to the initial question:

any feedback on the signature im looking to buy?

Try one, if you can. The best guitar is the one in your hands which meets your needs and desires.

Once in hand, a player can feel and hear if a guitar's a contender or not at that time. Sometimes, not often, it's magic and there's no doubt. Sometimes not. A purely individual experience.

Due to the limited availability of guitars, among other things, it's a daunting task to get a hold of enough guitars to make an informed decision. Groups like this can be helpful in gathering facts and weighing posters' opinions and experiences when deciding which guitars to consider.

We, like any other builder, will tout our wares hoping to interest players to try our guitars. We don't expect everyone to like our guitars.

Some people are interested in what professional or celebrity has personally chosen an instrument with which to perform. Endorsement deals notwithstanding, this can provide people with an opportunity to, at least, hear a specific builder's guitar in the hands of a master.

As it happens I am presently updating the PLAYERS section of our website, a neglected and overdue process: adding names, soundfiles and CD links. I hope to have added 12 - 15 professional Hill Guitar players you may browse within a couple of weeks.

Cordially,
Larry Darnell
Hill Guitar Company
Ben Lomond, CA 95005
hillguitar

Postby Allan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:53 pm

I could be mistaken, but isn't that a Hill Signature that Michael Partington is playing on a few videos on the Tube? Sounds pretty nice.

Allan
Allan

Postby oski79 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:11 am

Yes, it almost certainly is. I've sat right in front of Michael at a performance and talked to him about his playing and his guitar afterwards. He was playing a Hill Signature he'd recently acquired and was happy to tell me all about it.
But the Silver Tongued Devil's got nothing to lose, I'll only live til I die
We take our own chances, pay our own dues...
The Silver Tongued Devil and I...
oski79

Next

Return to Public Space