Non-slip pads

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

Non-slip pads

Postby Den » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:49 am

I've seen many classical guitarists play with pads on their lap (especially when wearing slippery pants, like polyester). Where do they get those pads?

Bellinati advertizes his own on his website (Plenosom Pads), but what else can we can use?
Den

Location: East of Toronto, Ontario, Canada (plenty of raccoons, skunks, coyotes, foxes and beavers)

Re: Non-slip pads

Postby Doog » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:38 am

Den wrote:I've seen many classical guitarists play with pads on their lap (especially when wearing slippery pants, like polyester). Where do they get those pads?

Bellinati advertizes his own on his website (Plenosom Pads), but what else can we can use?

Hi Den,

They may be using a piece of chamois cloth. That is what I use and it works excellently. My guitar never slips and the chamois is very soft and guitar friendly. You can pick up a pretty blue or black piece of Ramirez labeled chamois at GSI for $30.00 or you can go the you local auto supply store and pick up a piece of chamois cloth for maybe $10.00 +/-.

Doog
Doog

Postby owl » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:45 am

Den... we have covered this topic on several occasions... if you do a search you will find the threads

You might get some info from this link!

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=30191&p=323286&hilit=non+slip#p323286

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.
owl

Postby Den » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:17 pm

Doog wrote:
Den wrote:I've seen many classical guitarists play with pads on their lap (especially when wearing slippery pants, like polyester). Where do they get those pads?

Hi Den,

They may be using a piece of chamois cloth. That is what I use and it works excellently. My guitar never slips and the chamois is very soft and guitar friendly. You can pick up a pretty blue or black piece of Ramirez labeled chamois at GSI for $30.00 or you can go the you local auto supply store and pick up a piece of chamois cloth for maybe $10.00 +/-.

Doog

Thank you Doog, I think a piece of chamois cloth is a great idea. I'll go check it out at the local auto supply store.
:merci:
Den

Location: East of Toronto, Ontario, Canada (plenty of raccoons, skunks, coyotes, foxes and beavers)

Postby Den » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:23 pm

owl wrote:Den... we have covered this topic on several occasions... if you do a search you will find the threads

You might get some info from this link!

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=30191&p=323286&hilit=non+slip#p323286

Owl

Thank you Owl. I actually did do a search and ended up with hundreds of threads containing the word "pad" in unrelated contexts...
Den

Postby owl » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:33 pm

Den wrote:Thank you Owl. I actually did do a search and ended up with hundreds of threads containing the word "pad" in unrelated contexts...

LOL Keywords are the thing Den... otherwise you end up as you did

I never had any problem pulling up several threads... and that open weave rubberised material is just the ticket
Much cheaper to purchase than chamois too
LOL I've left it behind all over the place! :oops:

Owl
owl

Postby Den » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:50 pm

owl wrote:
Den wrote:Thank you Owl. I actually did do a search and ended up with hundreds of threads containing the word "pad" in unrelated contexts...

LOL Keywords are the thing Den... otherwise you end up as you did

I never had any problem pulling up several threads... and that open weave rubberised material is just the ticket
Much cheaper to purchase than chamois too
LOL I've left it behind all over the place! :oops:

Owl

And where do you get this open weave rubberish material? Is this the stuff you use as a jar opener?
Den

Postby owl » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:53 pm

Den wrote:And where do you get this open weave rubberish material? Is this the stuff you use as a jar opener?

Most camping and hardware stores stock it Den

As for jar openers... I use the bloke next door! :lol:

Owl
owl

Postby Olarte » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:14 pm

You can use a piece from a roll of non-slip rubber material used for shelving... your local hardware store should carry that.

I use the Gitano support, and put a piece of this, over the felt that comes with the support. I did not remove the felt but simply added a matching piece of this material over it and taped it in place with electrical tape.
Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
The Journey is the reward...

2007 - Antonio Loriente "Clarita" Cedar Top\Indian Rosewood - Ergoplay Troster, Hiscox Liteflite Pro II case
Olarte

Postby Den » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:18 pm

owl wrote:
Den wrote:And where do you get this open weave rubberish material? Is this the stuff you use as a jar opener?

Most camping and hardware stores stock it Den

As for jar openers... I use the bloke next door! :lol:

Owl

Question Mr. Owl: why does it have to be "open-weave", as opposed to a chamois-type cloth? :? :shock:
Den

Postby Den » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:24 pm

olarte wrote:

You can use a piece from a roll of non-slip rubber material used for shelving... your local hardware store should carry that.

I use the Gitano support, and put a piece of this, over the felt that comes with the support. I did not remove the felt but simply added a matching piece of this material over it and taped it in place with electrical tape.

Excellent idea Olarte. Thank you.
Den

Postby Toad » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi Den,

I use the non-slip material to stop rugs slipping on wooden floors. I got mine from a DIY store.

It's a black mesh rubbery stuff and costs about £5 a roll.

P
Toad

Postby Olarte » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:31 pm

Den wrote:
olarte wrote:

Excellent idea Olarte. Thank you.

Glad to help... it works great for my Gitano support, and I don't have to worry about loosing it, droping it etc...
Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.

2007 - Antonio Loriente "Clarita" Cedar Top\Indian Rosewood - Ergoplay Troster, Hiscox Liteflite Pro II case
Olarte

Postby Den » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:34 pm

Toad wrote:Hi Den,

I use the non-slip material to stop rugs slipping on wooden floors. I got mine from a DIY store.

It's a black mesh rubbery stuff and costs about .

P

Hi Toad,
I'm actually looking for something black like this.
:merci:
Den

Postby Olarte » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:39 pm

Hi Den, do you use the Gitano support, or a footstool?

I find the Gitano support, with the added rubber grip excellent. It no longer slips, and I never have to take it off... I simply put the guitar away with the support attached.
Last edited by Olarte on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olarte

Next

Return to Public Space