strunal guitars

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

strunal guitars

Postby max » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone else has a Strunal guitar. The Strunal company is in the Czech republic, and they mostly make student level orchestral string instruments. They also make a small line of guitars, generally lower priced. I have one of their more expensive ones (retails for about 500 to 600 dollars) and it's without a doubt one of the nicest guitars I've played. (To put that in perspective, I haven't played anything that costs more than about $3,000.00, and I haven't been able to do a head to head comparison with the Strunal because there are no longer any high-end classical guitar shops in my immediate area.)

The guitar itself is a model C870. It has a cutaway (I know, heresy and all that, but for my purposes it's just fine, and I kind of like the easier access to the higher frets). It has a solid red cedar top, and the back and sides are of absolutely gorgeous red gum. The back is solid wood (!) and the sides are laminate. Sound is, of course, hard to describe, in comparing it to a couple of Tomas Lazaros I have, a few of the lower priced Tanaras, and some low-to-mid-range Yamahas it is absolutely miles beyond any of those. It has a great dynamic range, it's very easy for me to bring out any line I want in any range, etc.

Anyone else have any experience with those guitars? There is apparently a model 977 that is cedar and rosewood (and no cutaway) which I would like to get my hands on, but they are pretty hard to find.

Cheers!

Max
max

Re: strunal guitars

Postby Anthony Campanella » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:14 pm

Hi Max,

I have no experience with them but I remember that David Allen Coester sells them
http://www.meantone.com/StudentGuitars.html

He may be able to provide some info
Anthony Campanella

Postby Sean » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:21 pm

I owned a Strunal in the past. It was a rather striking looking guitar with cedar soundboard and maple back and sides. It had a nice woody flavor to it. I sold it on heebay two summers ago when raising money for the Clarita.
Sean

Postby CG-phile » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:46 pm

Classitar wrote:... I remember that David Allen Coester sells them...

I purchased a 3/4 size Strunal for my 11 year old daughter (she's caught the CG bug too) from David Coester without incident. He's a really nice guy, very pleasant to do business with.
"Classical guitar... my escape from everyday technocentrism!"
CG-phile

Postby KevinCollins » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:22 pm

I have a student who plays the Strunal guitars. She saves her pennies and buys her own guitar. She went from half to 3/4 and won't sell her old guitars, they are her buddies. They are very light with an open sound. They play in tune, accurately fretted in higher positions. If you can convince parents that the sound of the guitar will make their kids want to practice, it is a good investment. I would say they retain value and have a high re-sale/ trade-up value but, so far, they won't let go of them.

Cheers,

Kevin

Heather and the Strunal guitar
KevinCollins

Postby Cheese » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:55 am

KevinCollins wrote:I have a student who plays the Strunal guitars. She saves her pennies and buys her own guitar. She went from half to 3/4 and won't sell her old guitars, they are her buddies. They are very light with an open sound. They play in tune, accurately fretted in higher positions. If you can convince parents that the sound of the guitar will make their kids want to practice, it is a good investment. I would say they retain value and have a high re-sale/ trade-up value but, so far, they won't let go of them.

Cheers,

Kevin

Wow Kevin.. That girl has fantastic posture and Right hand position for her age. Excellent Job!!
Cheese

Postby Tarbaby » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:33 am

KevinCollins wrote:I have a student who plays the Strunal guitars. She saves her pennies and buys her own guitar. She went from half to 3/4 and won't sell her old guitars, they are her buddies.Cheers,

Kevin

This is exactly why I come here every single day, Kevin!

I either learn something new, laugh my ass off, or get a "thrll and a tear". I never know on which threads I'll find these things. Most often on the most innocuous sounding ones...

I am typing through my tears.

Thank you!

Alan
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Languages: English, German, Classical Guitar.
2003 Sergio Abreu; 1976 Granada
Tarbaby

Postby hesson11 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:33 am

Well, I'm glad others had the same reaction I did to that photo and story.

There's something about seeing young people with with a calm, earnest expression on their faces—and a musical instrument in their hands. It somehow gives you renewed hope for humanity.

-Bob
hesson11

Postby scottishrogue » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:01 pm

I was also touched by the stories here. I'm looking forward to teaching my granddaughter how to play. I'm teaching her big brother, right now, but she's only 4 years old, so I will probably wait a year or two.

And I too own a Strunal guitar, model 4655. They are the largest instrument manufacturer in Europe, having been recognized for "European Excellence" :contrat: and the guitar division is located in the town of Luby, in the Czech Republic. It's a full-size classical guitar, with a 52mm nut, cedar top, mahogany back & sides, with a high-gloss finish. The tone and volume is greater than my other classical guitars, and I was quite surprised. When I first got it, it needed a few parts, so it described as a "project guitar" and didn't cost me much. The bindings are black, so I replaced the white/gold tuning machines with black/gold tuners with ebony knobs, supplied a nut & saddle, and it now looks as good as it sounds! :lol:
Glen

"I never met a guitar I didn't like!"
scottishrogue

Postby Wesjr1 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Anthony Campanella wrote:Hi Max,
I have no experience with them but I remember that David Allen Coester sells them
http://www.meantone.com/StudentGuitars.html
He may be able to provide some info

I notice that the guitars on that site have veneer backs, sides, and spruce veneer tops. I wonder what the "under" wood is?
"For 37 years I've practiced 14 hours a day, and now they call me a genius” -- Pablo de Sarasate
Wesjr1

Postby Joe de V » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:20 pm

One of my earlier guitars was a Strunal 7/8 size (620mm scale length )- that is now owned by my daughter-in-law - It was a solid-top model with a very nice and resonant sound. To this date - and I have now owned over 20 CG at one time or another - It is the one instrument I would recommend for a new student of the CG. The strunal Company makes them with various scale-length and their price is very competitive with other labels that are recommended by teachers as a very good choice for first-time CG students. I won't hesitate to recommend this company products to those seeking a good CG at a fair cost
Joe de V

Postby scottishrogue » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:16 pm

I've heard many people say that "laminated" tops produce a dull sound, that will not improve over time. I've also heard many people say that solid top guitars produce better tone, and projection. If that is true, why are "double-top" guitars so sought after??? It's because guitar makers figured out they produce remarkable tone along with greater projection. Sharon Isbin plays a Mueller "double top" classical guitar, and it's tone and projection are fantastic!!! And I'm pretty sure the cost is much higher than my 4655, which was very affordable.

I looked at the sound hole of my Strunal, and could see a top and a bottom in the top with a very thin line in between. The thickness of the top is the same as my solid top guitars. Is the darker section in between veneer or resin? The guitar sounds as good, or possibly even better than my high end BJ Rubin Grand Concert classical. Admittedly, the tone is not as "bright" sounding as my steel string guitars, but it's not supposed to be. The basses are deep and the trebles are clear and mellow, which is my preference. If the back and sides are laminated, it has little, if any adverse effect on my guitar, that I can detect. At the price I paid, I'm totally happy and pleasantly surprised. :bravo:
Glen

"I never met a guitar I didn't like!"
scottishrogue

Postby gitgeezer » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:31 am

When my niece expressed an interest in learning guitar, I purchased a short-scale Strunal for her. I don’t remember the model, but it was about $270 at Maple Street Guitar. Though I tried it out at the store and thought it was okay for the price, just before I gave it to her I noticed that it had a ferocious wolf note. I was a little embarrassed about it, but I told her that if she remained dedicated to learning the guitar I would give her a better one. I didn’t tell her about the wolf note and luckily she didn’t know enough about guitars to notice it herself. But she got busy with drama, singing, and other things and decided she didn’t have time for guitar lessons. I still worry that giving her that cheap Strunal with the wolf note turned her away from the guitar.
gitgeezer

Return to Public Space