Amalio Burguet

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

Amalio Burguet

Postby Rod » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:10 pm

Does anybody else play an Amalio Burguet. I've got the Model 3 which I think is bottom of the range. I had the choice of fronts and went for the cedar over the spruce. Wonderful warm tone. Just occasionally it makes even me sound good.
Rod
Amateur luthier

Re: Amalio Burguet

Postby muirtan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:05 pm

Hi Rod I have a noguera and love it, excellent value guitar. Lovely warm tone and easy to play. Having said that I played a couple of amazing guitars (Arias, Bouchet and D.Rubio) a few months ago and am thinking of upgrading. When I first mentioned to a friend ( professional guitarist) that I was thinking of getting a luthier made guitar he said 'you do realise you'll have to go up a lot to get a better guitar than you've already got'. I'd highly recommend Burguets. There are a few others on this site who have Burguets.
muirtan

Postby RainyDayMan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:02 am

muirtan wrote:Hi Rod I have a noguera and love it, excellent value guitar. Lovely warm tone and easy to play. Having said that I played a couple of amazing guitars (Arias, Bouchet and D.Rubio) a few months ago and am thinking of upgrading. When I first mentioned to a friend ( professional guitarist) that I was thinking of getting a luthier made guitar he said 'you do realise you'll have to go up a lot to get a better guitar than you've already got'. I'd highly recommend Burguets. There are a few others on this site who have Burguets.

I hear good things about old Arias (from the 1970's) every now and then. I have one which I still enjoy alot inspite of having a recent luthier made guitar at maybe 25 times the original price of my Aria (it is 35 years old). I thought at first mine was an exception. I guess maybe not. The luthier made guitar is more playable and has better separation, a more refined tone. But the Aria really sings out.
Last edited by RainyDayMan on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RainyDayMan

Postby muirtan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:32 am

RainyDayMan wrote:
muirtan wrote:Hi Rod I have a noguera and love it, excellent value guitar. Lovely warm tone and easy to play. Having said that I played a couple of amazing guitars (Arias, Bouchet and D.Rubio) a few months ago and am thinking of upgrading. When I first mentioned to a friend ( professional guitarist) that I was thinking of getting a luthier made guitar he said 'you do realise you'll have to go up a lot to get a better guitar than you've already got'. I'd highly recommend Burguets. There are a few others on this site who have Burguets.

I hear good things about old Arias (from the 1970's) every now and then. I have one which I still enjoy alot inspite of having a recent luthier made guitar at maybe 100 times the original price of my Aria (it is 35 years old). I thought at first mine was an exception. I guess maybe not. The luthier made guitar is more playable and has better separation, a more refined tone. But the Aria really sings out.

Sorry should have made it clearer it was a Vincente Arias from the 19thC which I played. Very privileged I know.
muirtan

Postby fingers&thumbs » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:53 am

I also have a Noguera and like it very much. The thing has amazing volume and great tone.
It's not my ultimate guitar by any means but it beats many I tried in the price range.
Along with my Cashimira, it'll do fine until I get either an Ambridge/Dean/Lowe or similar next year.
fingers&thumbs

Postby RainyDayMan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:52 pm

muirtan wrote:
RainyDayMan wrote:

I hear good things about old Arias (from the 1970's) every now and then. I have one which I still enjoy alot inspite of having a recent luthier made guitar at maybe 100 times the original price of my Aria (it is 35 years old). I thought at first mine was an exception. I guess maybe not. The luthier made guitar is more playable and has better separation, a more refined tone. But the Aria really sings out.

Sorry should have made it clearer it was a Vincente Arias from the 19thC which I played. Very privileged I know.

Opps....lets make a deal, I delete my post and you delete this one :lol:
RainyDayMan

Postby colmenach » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:15 am

Last January I bought an Amalio Burguet model Maestro, spruce top, and I absolutely love it!

My only issue is a difficult to explain dull buzz or vibration on the A string, 2nd fret.
When the B note on this string, 2nd fret, is pressed directly behind the fret wire, the note is clear and pure.
However when I fret the note a bit further back (as in the basic E major chord), the note becomes duller, muddier and has a sort of buzz.
I have been told that most high-quality guitars have that kind of problem, and the only solution is stopping the string behind the fret wire.
Well, if this is true then "Trouble shared is trouble halved", I guess... :(

Apart from that, the guitar is simply fantastic:
beautiful, comfortable, clear, loud, warm, sensitive, balanced, and its intonation is very good.
colmenach

Postby fingers&thumbs » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:41 pm

I had that buzzing in the same place on my Cashimira when I first bought it. It went away after a while, it may have been after I replaced the strings, I can't remember but it never came back.
fingers&thumbs

Postby colmenach » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:38 pm

fingers&thumbs wrote:It went away after a while, it may have been after I replaced the strings

Thanks for the info. I hope this happens for me as well...
I have replaced the strings several times already since buying my guitar, but the problem did not go away yet.
colmenach

Postby Robin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:49 am

I have an Burguet 1A, cedar top. I love it! I enjoy the rich, warm tone. The projection is very nice and is serving my needs very well so far. Maybe someday I'll need a bigger sounding guitar but for now, I still have some head room.

Robin
So much music, so little time.
Robin

Postby Rod » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:05 pm

While I was struggling through my lesson last week, one of my fellow pupils turned up early and sat with us 'til the end of the lesson. He asked if he could have a look at my guitar and enquired if it was a concert instrument! It certainly wasn't my playing that gave him that impression.
Rod
Amateur luthier

Postby bver » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:57 pm

Have any of you compared the Burguet to any of the Aparicios (AA70 and up?)
bver

Postby sniggl » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Recently I played the Arce Model (3700 €) in a shop - I was very impressed (warm, colorful sound,easy to play), a very good guitar, for my taste much better than the Bernabe guitars I also tried and which were much more expensive.
In the past I played the model Luna (1400€, mediterano series), but I was not so happy with it. The sound was to hard and I could not bear the dead note on c

Stefan
Guitar: Sebastian Stenzel (2008)

"Es ist schon alles gesagt, nur noch nicht von allen." ( Karl Valentin)
sniggl

Postby simonm » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:56 pm

colmenach wrote:When the B note on this string, 2nd fret, is pressed directly behind the fret wire, the note is clear and pure.

When I play at home I am sloppy and get buzzes of all sorts. When I am with my teacher (well trained professionally qualified teacher with 20+ years experience) he insists that I finger almost on top of the fretwire. His usual expression translates to something like "don't give away any space." So from that point of view, the issue would be technique rather than the guitar. You have already stated the cure. :mrgreen:

Buzzes can be be very difficult to track down. It could be a bit of loose string at the tuning mechanism, loose screw in the tuners, the break angle on the nut, the shape of the slot in the nut, the angle on the top of the saddle, the height of the fret itself in that position and pretty much any other component in the guitar not to mention the strings. When you changed strings did you try a different type or just a fresh set.
simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby Grooveman JS » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:28 am

Hi

I've just shipped all my guitars to Atlanta in preparation for my move there & to continue my practice routine, I'm currently renting 1 from somebody who uses it as a carry around teaching guitar (also model no.3). I'd describe it as all the above........pretty well made guitar for this price range, overall setup, tone & projection, build quality is nice.
Dick Grove School of Music: "Music Is a Universal Language......See It / Hear It / Play It! That's Complete Musicianship!"
Grooveman JS

Next

Return to Public Space