Yamaha Guitalele

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

Yamaha Guitalele

Postby Catire » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:03 am

Does anyone know of someone selling these in the US? Thanks.
"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible." - Oscar Wilde
Catire

Re: Yamaha Guitalele

Postby malc laney » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:23 pm

Is this for real?Pray tell us about it.
Sounds good for kids?
malc laney

Postby oski79 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:40 pm

Apparently the best you can do unless you find in on an auction site is Long and McQuade in Canada. You can either order it on line or by phone. They'll ship it to the US. Several members here have one. If you want to use it as with guitar tuning, you'll probably need to re-string it.
But the Silver Tongued Devil's got nothing to lose, I'll only live til I die
We take our own chances, pay our own dues...
The Silver Tongued Devil and I...
oski79

Postby Catire » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:52 pm

Thanks. I'll check it out.
"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible." - Oscar Wilde
Catire

Postby Joe de V » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:48 am

I have a friend who came back from GB with a Guitalele. The sound is good but not necessarily unique to that instrument.
His Baritone Ukulele sounds (to my ears) just as good- with the limitation of the four strings vs the six for the guitalele.
If you cannot find a dealer in the USA consideer this possibility:
Guitaleles are very similar in size to a quart-size guitar with a short (around 450mm) scale length but for me the size hampers
the fretting fingers.One possibility is to "convert" a half-size classical guitar with a scale length of approx 520 - 530 mm
-not all half-size guitars have this scale length-, to a guitalele with "requinto strings"- A -D -G- C- E - A
just like the standard tuning for the three smaller ukuleles - soprano,concert,and tenor but with a wider fretboard.
To give you an idea how it would sound at "open strings" place a capo on the 5th fret of your CG and strum it.
Last edited by Joe de V on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joe de V

Postby Catire » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:18 am

One of the things that attract me to the Guitarlele is that the fingerboard is wider that 1/4 size guitars.
Catire

Postby Tubedog » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:52 am

I bought a used one on e - b a y a few years ago. It's my camping guitar. It's really fun to play and sound pretty good too. I can't remember, but I don't think it cost me very much. I've seen them on e - b a y (used) since then.
2012 La Patrie Collection
Tubedog

Postby Bill Doyle » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:59 pm

I've been looking all over to buy one of these in the US. It looked like I would have to purchase in Canada (every guitar I have purchased from Canada has turned into a shipping & customs nightmare). I just found a link for a guy located in Gainsville, GA http://myworld.e - b a y.com/auctionassured/ . They appear to be very legit and 100 percent positive feedback. I am going to order one tomorrow after a phone discussion to ensure the Yamaha GL1 is actually in hand and ready to ship. Wish me luck, I will report back with results of transaction and instrument.
BD
Building beautiful custom homes in Baja, Mexico...
www.TCCLoreto.com
Bill Doyle

Postby simonm » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:03 pm

I got one after hearing Helen Marshall playing "Carolan's Receipt / Doctor John Stafford" by O'Carolan on you tube. The thing is really cheap and cheerful and if it gets smashed in the overhead bin on a plane or someone sits on it, so what, buy a new one. Shipped to the door in Europe from one of the big internet dealers, it about 80 euros. Everything about it is cheap but it sounds extremely good given the cost - includes a quite decent gig bag.

I will probably get rid my current one simply because I am not travelling at the moment and I have to clear out 3 or 4 instruments before I can build anymore. ;-)
simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby Bill Doyle » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:20 pm

The EB seller in Gainsville ran out of stock quickly, said it was amazing the response he got and he is going to get more. I ended up ordering one from Long & McQuade in Vancouver. They are great guys to work with, even though this was a tiny ($95) and troublesome (export to US) sale... I bought a few extra goodies just because I felt a little guilty. This was my Xmas gift from my wife, and was shipped to my parents house. I will receive it around 2 January... can't wait, and will review for all after playing for a week or two.
BD
www.TCCLoreto.com
Bill Doyle

Postby simonm » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:03 pm

I ebayed my one (in Germany) just before Xmas. I think they are really great for money. I can see myself getting another one sometime but I am planning to a "baby Torres" guitar so something had to go.
simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby Bill Doyle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:17 am

Got my little Yamita from Long & McQuade (they are great to deal with) and I've played with it for a week, tuned to A (5th fret open standard). I got it specifically for travel/practice (planes, trains, automobiles) and couch noodling. The big selling point is 6 strings that have neck width and string spacing almost the same as a standard classical. The scale length, however, is only 17" so the space between frets is very tight! I have no idea how they sell this guitar for $95... very well made, nice overall detailing, should be durable and long lasting. Tuners are cheap but they work surprisingly well!

I wasn't expecting much in regard to sound, but it is actually better than I had hoped right out of the box. I am sure I will get better and better sound out of it as learn to cram my fingers between the frets, and I will change strings soon which should also make a difference, and I will make bone nut & saddle. Mostly, I just need to get used to the sound... very different from a full size classical guitar.

For a tiny 6-string travel guitar for practice, this is an OUTSTANDING instrument. For only $95, it is miraculous. It really makes people laugh when they first see it... then they hear it play and they are amazed.
BD
www.TCCLoreto.com
Bill Doyle

Postby Dragonbones » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:58 am

If anyone finds a reputable dealer for these in the Asia-Pacific area who will ship region-wide, please post it; thanks!

1/14 edit: I have found a Taibei dealer (KHS at Bo'Ai and Hengyang) who will carry these later this Spring, in case anyone here is interested.
Last edited by Dragonbones on Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pleasure is spread through the earth In stray gifts to be claimed by whoever shall find. —William Wordsworth

2008 Sergio Huerta concierto,
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Dragonbones

Postby Dragonbones » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:15 am

oski79 wrote:Apparently the best you can do unless you find in on an auction site is Long and McQuade in Canada. You can either order it on line or by phone. They'll ship it to the US. Several members here have one. If you want to use it as with guitar tuning, you'll probably need to re-string it.

1/14 Edit: Long-McQuade informed me today that they don't ship internationally (in response to a request for a shipping quote to California or to Taiwan). However, when pressed, they said that they have done a few orders to the US where a money order was sent in advance, and that they can arrange this, so if you can't wait for the US sales to start (see next post), this is an option.
Last edited by Dragonbones on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pleasure is spread through the earth In stray gifts to be claimed by whoever shall find. —William Wordsworth

Dragonbones

Postby Dragonbones » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:15 am

Yamaha USA has informed me today that they have announced today that (the Guitalele GL-1) will be available in the US, adding:
As this is the first day of the Namm show, it may not show up at dealers for awhile. We have no exact date of availability in stores yet.

Dragonbones

Next

Return to Public Space