Local Classical Guitar and Lute Societies

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: Please tell us about your local Guitar Societies

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:18 am

Thank you, Russ. The Mid-Hudson Classical Guitar Society has now been added to the Master List.

Alan

mvilla89

Post by mvilla89 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:15 pm

there are two groups in tallahassee, fl. The Tallahassee Classical Guitar Society and the Seven Hills Concert Series.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tallahas ... 2540913970
http://www.sevenhillsconcerts.com

Andi_Guitar_Player

Post by Andi_Guitar_Player » Fri May 02, 2014 3:56 pm

Hey I'm Andi from Germany, Ansbach

We have a music school here, but I've never been there.
I learned guitar mainly myself.
A really nice thing to mention is, that we have a cafe here,
which organizes Jam-Sessions each two months or so.
Every kind of music is played there. Jazz, Country, Blues, Gipsy
and so on.... it's really nice

lucid77

Post by lucid77 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:57 am

Where is the link to the master list? I can't seem to find it.

lucid77

Post by lucid77 » Sat May 17, 2014 5:26 am

I found it. Sorry

Scott Fountain

Re: Local Classical Guitar and Lute Societies

Post by Scott Fountain » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:17 am

Hello Everyone,

I recently joined the Philadelphia Classical Guitar Society. They have great concerts and feature talented guitarist. They had Sharon Isbin this year, unfortunately I was unable to see her but looking forward to next year's concert series.

Benjamin

Post by Benjamin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:10 am

Anyone know of classical guitar societies in the UAE (Abu Dhabi or Dubai)?

aon.york

Post by aon.york » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:23 pm

Valentino wrote:Liverpool has one, I won't be going there again though, they have a great room, which they get for free, but they kinda pressure you for cash, bit odd, some decent players there like, am only a beginner, but they're all nervous, again odd, seems they don't wanna change that, they'll know who I am when they read this, haha :D

When I got there, they were talking about those who'd left, and probably wouldn't be coming back. They seem to dote on Masterclasses for some reason, instead of utilising the time when everyone's there, seems...you guessed it, odd. Maybe it's me, lol. Anywho, they collaborate with Chester classical guitar society, and I never met any of them, but it seems a shame the Liverpool one lacks any real fire and passion for learning, more of a trundle than a drive, so if a trundle is your thing, then it's right up your alley, remember to take your cash too.
Some guitar societies can be a bit oppressive or have the whiff of death about them or lots of unnecessary name dropping. On the other hand, there's a very good one in Leeds - West Yorkshire Classical Guitar Society - wygcs.com which is having its 12th meeting next week. Very easy-going, very friendly.

P_Pow

Post by P_Pow » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:56 am

Maastricht - The Netherlands

The Maastricht Guitar Society www.facebook.com/maastrichtguitarsociety

Daan Hoeksema

Post by Daan Hoeksema » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:07 am

Too bad it is a long drive from Heiloo / Alkmaar.

Daan
Het veulen dat haar moeder naar de slacht zag gaan. "Hou je taai mam".

PaulHardy

Post by PaulHardy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:12 am

aon.york wrote: Some guitar societies can be a bit oppressive or have the whiff of death about them or lots of unnecessary name dropping. On the other hand, there's a very good one in Leeds - West Yorkshire Classical Guitar Society - wygcs.com which is having its 12th meeting next week. Very easy-going, very friendly.
That is really good news as I didn't know a new society had started up for Leeds. Thanks for this.

impphil

Post by impphil » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:36 pm

Very friendly group here with some fantastic guitarists

http://www.eastanglianguitarists.com/home

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:52 am

The Oxford Guitar Society, http://www.oxfordguitarsociety.org.uk, has recently settled into a new venue in a refurbished hall (with a nice acoustic) in Sandford-on-Thames on the south-eastern outskirts of Oxford, OX4 4YN. Importantly there is plenty of car parking here!

Society meetings are held on the second Sunday of the month from 19:00 to 22:00. Details of each meeting are posted on the news page of the website. We play ensemble music, solos, duets etc and we often invite guests to give mini-recitals. The society also promotes concerts, that latest being due tomorrow as detailed here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=94142.

The society has retained a core of faithful members through several changes of venue in the last two or three years. The prospect, now, of a settled home will, I hope, mean that we can attract new members from Oxford and surrounding areas.

The society is fortunate in having the guitarist Raymond Burley as patron; he freely gives us his time (when he is not touring) and we also attract other notable local guitarists from time to time, such as Gerald Garcia and Alison Bendy.

If anyone has questions about the society feel free to send me a PM or contact the secretary (whose details are on the website).
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Cheryl Ann Johnson

Post by Cheryl Ann Johnson » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:55 pm

The Asheville Classical Guitar Society
Asheville, North Carolina
http://www.ashevilleclassicalguitarsociety.com/

Charles Cleckler

Post by Charles Cleckler » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:21 pm

Birmingham Classical Guitar Society

https://www.facebook.com/bhamguitar#

Return to “Public Space”