What are you learning at the moment?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Jorge Oliveira

Re: What are you learning at the moment?

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:40 pm

My rendition of Fernando Sor Opus 60 nr. 14 was posted yesterday, Jul 11th, as part of the Project Let’s learn Sor’s Opus 60 together, shall we?. I'm now studying the next piece in the Opus 60, the nr. 15. Looks easy... :)
Aria A558, 655 mm, Cedar, 1987, Nagoya, Japan
Hermanos Camps Master, 650 mm, Cedar, 2014 (Nº 3), Spain

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:23 pm

I've started to learn Danza Española (Melancolia) by Granados some days ago, and I'm making good progress (at least I think so). Today I've started to learn the transcription of Larghetto from the Music of Royal Fireworks by Händel. The chords are a bit tricky, especially when I have to memorize them later on, but I'm surprised how good the transcription sounds on a classical guitar.
21 classical guitars, soon 22 :-D, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Alvisa

Post by Alvisa » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:37 pm

Watt's Chapel by Stephen Goss. It contains some lovely quotations from Mahler. Tricky but quite slow and contemplative.
Giussani 2014
Morison 1999

vincentvunguyen

Post by vincentvunguyen » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Serenade (Ständchen) by Franz Schubert, arr by J.K. Mertz
Fall in love with the echoing arrangement after I watched Marcin Dyllans play on YouTube.

(I am not sure if YouTube link of performance not by myself is allowed to post here, but you can easily search it on YouTube by "Marcin Dylla plays Ständchen by Franz Schubert on a 1924 Hermann Hauser I".)

purple

Post by purple » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:55 pm

The Bach Chaconne, Segovia version with some of my own small changes.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:21 pm

My rendition of Fernando Sor Opus 60 nr. 15 was posted on Jul 27th, as part of the Project Let’s learn Sor’s Opus 60 together, shall we?. I'm now studying the next piece in the Opus 60, the nr. 16. Not easy... :cry:
Aria A558, 655 mm, Cedar, 1987, Nagoya, Japan
Hermanos Camps Master, 650 mm, Cedar, 2014 (Nº 3), Spain

daves

Post by daves » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:25 pm

I've been learning the guitar arrangement of J.S. Bach Invention #13 by Giuseppe Torrisi. It's very challenging but also completely fascinating.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:03 am

I'm now studying the next piece in the Opus 60, the nr. 16. Not easy...

It's actually not too hard...IF you discount the last several complex slurs. I happily admit to cheating. I've learned the piece by playing the first G-E slur in the second measure instead of its elaborations later in the piece. I'll work on those later. This way everything doesn't have to come to a screeching halt at the later slurs when I play this lovely and unusual study, which I find thoroughly charming.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:07 am

I am learning some of Fernando Sor's op 31 progressive studies which are not included in the 20 Segovia studies. Fun pieces most of them and not overly difficult. First one I picked from my Brian Geffrey edition is no 13, a beautiful Andante.

It sounds awsome played by David Starobin on a vintage Lacote guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUwQMgBsGe0
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:16 am

I was playing that particular piece a few years ago. There was a section that I found very difficult in the right hand, kind of didn't seem to fit under the fingers. Then again I'm no guitarist.
The Starobin/lacote is a perfect example of why a small romantic guitar suits certain pieces extremely well. It has a charming quality. Sometimes you want to avoid a deep heavy bass.
Historicalguitars.

Non Tabius

Post by Non Tabius » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:38 am

At the moment I am trying to get over the recording jitters and taking relatively so called easier pieces, such as Carcassi 60(3).In my case why I don't know, playing for a live audience almost perfectly, and recording without a parachute (no drop-ins) and with feeling, still hangs like the "proverbial sword" no matter what I record.Must be some phobia or other, something like 'Non- Mistakelitus".

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:00 am

I love Sor who was a great composer and turned the smallest pieces into masterworks. Take op 6 no 8. What a beautiful and complexe little gem. With Sor everything looks so easy at first sight. The fingers flow and flow. But all of a sudden..uups. Wow, that's difficult. I am tempted to look out for a pre Torres guitar to play Sor and other composers of that period on an original instrument. :wink:

Non Tabius

Post by Non Tabius » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:00 am

zupfgeiger wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:00 am
I love Sor who was a great composer and turned the smallest pieces into masterworks. Take op 6 no 8. What a beautiful and complexe little gem. With Sor everything looks so easy at first sight. The fingers flow and flow. But all of a sudden..uups. Wow, that's difficult. I am tempted to look out for a pre Torres guitar to play Sor and other composers of that period on an original instrument. :wink:
From what Ive read they had smaller necks, maybe we are stretching further and not smarter on the Torres, unlike the Early Romantics.

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:48 am

Non Tabius wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:00 am
zupfgeiger wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:00 am
From what Ive read they had smaller necks, maybe we are stretching further and not smarter on the Torres, unlike the Early Romantics.
I agree. Some of the technical difficulties with Sor studies are related to the fact that Sor used sligthly shorter guitars, built in the romantic style. 63 cm instead of 65 or 66 cm can make a huge difference when stretches like those in op 31 no 16 are involved.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:28 pm

David Starobin is a wonderful player who gives a great performance of the Sor no. 13. And like every great performance I've heard played on a romantic guitar, I wish it was being performed on a modern guitar. I guess the charm of these instruments is lost to me.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Return to “Public Space”