Alvarez K Yairi CY140 - Deal or no?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

Alvarez K Yairi CY140 - Deal or no?

Postby Derek Arvidson » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:14 am

I just happened to be in a local music store looking at classical guitars that were available. There seems to be slim pickings in this neck of the woods. I was surprised by the one store here having a particular guitar sitting off to the side. It was an Alvarez K Yairi CY140. It was listed as $2400 and marked down to $1600. I played it for a while and really liked the sound of it, having never played a higher quality guitar, it had a lot more to it than my Yamaha 170S. I was told that the guitar was marked down due to the economic downturn. The store was dropping the Alvarez line as they couldn't reliably get them in anymore, so they were selling it off at cost. We talked about price some more and he checked and found that the price had indeed dropped to $1200. After discussions with my wife we decided that it was appropriate to move to pick it up now. I had planned on getting a better guitar when I achieve a higher grade in guitar.

When I did a quick look on the web, I found listings that showed retail for the $2400 range. Now that I have bought the guitar and have done some more indepth looking, it seems that $1200 is about the going rate for this guitar. So it seems I didn't find such a good opportunity in my purchase as I thought.

So I am asking if this is really as good a sale as I was led to believe, did these guitars really go for a price of about $2400? Or was this just a bit of salesmanship that landed a big one. Either way, I really like the guitar, it's just now I feel a bit taken by a hussle due to my inexperience.

Feedback is appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Derek
Derek Arvidson

Re: Alvarez K Yairi CY140 - Deal or no?

Postby GuitarVlog » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:49 pm

My first question is: At what retailer have you found these selling for $1200 new? (I assume Canadian $s)

C$1200 would be US$1182 at today's exchange rate. On our side of the border, the CY140 typically sells for US$1500 (discounted 23% off the list price of US$1900). A big Christmas-season discount deal would be about US$1275 (an additional 15% off).
"The hardest time for most guitar players is the beginning stage, because it is all investment and no return." - Charlotte Adams
"It's not your guitar or lute that matters but what you can do with it." - Moi
GuitarVlog

Postby Derek Arvidson » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:59 pm

GuitarVlog wrote:My first question is: At what retailer have you found these selling for $1200 new? (I assume Canadian $s)

It was St. Johns Music here. I'm not sure if they had any other models in the line as this was the last one.

Derek
Derek Arvidson

Postby GuitarVlog » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:11 pm

Sorry, I wasn't clear about my question. It was in regards to this statement:

guitar8va wrote:Now that I have bought the guitar and have done some more indepth looking, it seems that $1200 is about the going rate for this guitar.

What I'm really asking is, "Which retailers, brick-and-mortar or online, have you investigated that suggest C$1200 is the 'going rate'?" The going rate for the CY140 in the US is US$1500 and that's about C$1522.
"The hardest time for most guitar players is the beginning stage, because it is all investment and no return." - Charlotte Adams
"It's not your guitar or lute that matters but what you can do with it." - Moi
GuitarVlog

Postby noodler » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:09 pm

If you love the guitar and lust for no others it's a great deal.
noodler

Postby Derek Arvidson » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:09 pm

GuitarVlog wrote:Sorry, I wasn't clear about my question. It was in regards to this statement:

Ah, yes, sorry... I was looking online for comparisons, and I presume it would be US$1200 I have found. There is also the shipping charges to Canada which adds about another $100 or so, then there is the hidden customs fees. Now even though several of these web sites advertised them for $1200, I don't know if they actually even have any for that.

It's just that I've seen them all state around $2500 suggested retail, then their selling price for around $1200 to $1500. I'm quite curious if anyone has actually spent $2500 for this model at some point in time. It almost seems like the store advertised the guitar at a rediculous price, then marked it down to regular price and then took a couple hundred off. So my dazzling mind boggling huge sale doesn't seem like the big deal that it was. I think I did very well to get it at this price with shipping and customs factored in, and also for the retail markup. I also don't think I'll see any higher quality or as high a quality guitar in a retail shop here. They seem to be slow moving and not big in stock locally.

I'm feeling better about my expense now. I was a bit dazzled about dropping so much money at once, but it is a good investment and it will pay off eventually.

Derek
Derek Arvidson

Postby wbajzek » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:13 pm

"Suggested retail" is usually far higher than anyone actually charges or would pay for something. I think it's mostly so people think they're getting a special deal with things appear to be marked down drastically.
wbajzek

Postby lam » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:49 pm

People use this method of marketing because it often works on the compulsive buyer. They make you think you are getting a deal so fantastic that you need to buy it before somebody else does. I am sure you realize now that you have to do your homework before, rather than after, the fact. Always remember that if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. All that being said, if you really like the instrument, and I am sure you do or you wouldn't have made the purchase, then you probably paid a fair price for it, so enjoy it and consider it an inexpensive lesson. It may not be the deal you thought you were getting but I have played many $5000+ instruments for which I wouldn't give $500.

all the best,
Larry
lam

Postby wbajzek » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:58 pm

lam wrote:People use this method of marketing because it often works on the compulsive buyer. They make you think you are getting a deal so fantastic that you need to buy it before somebody else does. I am sure you realize now that you have to do your homework before, rather than after, the fact. Always remember that if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. All that being said, if you really like the instrument, and I am sure you do or you wouldn't have made the purchase, then you probably paid a fair price for it, so enjoy it and consider it an inexpensive lesson. It may not be the deal you thought you were getting but I have played many $5000+ instruments for which I wouldn't give $500.

all the best,
Larry

That happened to me once; the first good classical guitar I bought, I paid about $1700 for and later discovered that it was a $500 guitar rebranded and upgraded. A bone saddle and nut were indeed an improvement, but not worth that much!
wbajzek

Postby mwil » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:10 pm

I agree with noodler....If you love the guitar, you should be good to go.
mwil

Postby Whooper » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:19 am

Hey, I am not a Yairi fan though, below are for you info.

How much she ranks in her birthplace?

New Yen 240,000 - 170,000 (discounted)
Used Yen 110,000

Today almost Yen 94 per US$.

This model wears laminated Jakaranda in her body and back. Is there any inconvenience at the U.S.-Canada customs clearance?

Whooper
Guitars: Kono 1956, Hikozo Terada 1964, Kohno Model 7 1970, Masaru Matano 1967 & 1977
Whooper

Postby JQ. » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:54 am

I can't speak for their guitars, but I bought a Yairi Kanai the other day and I have to say it's beautifully made with excellent craftsmanship.
JQ.

Postby Derek Arvidson » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:12 am

Whooper wrote:Hey, I am not a Yairi fan though, below are for you info.

How much she ranks in her birthplace?

New Yen 240,000 - 170,000 (discounted)
Used Yen 110,000

Today almost Yen 94 per US$.

This model wears laminated Jakaranda in her body and back. Is there any inconvenience at the U.S.-Canada customs clearance?

Whooper

Domo Arigato Gozaimashita,

Your information is very helpfull and appreciated.

I think the only problems with customs would be the cost of the duty. Also, if it was shipped with a courier like UPS, they charge a horrible brokerage fee on top of the customs fee. I ordered some guitar books from the US and the duties I had to pay almost doubled the cost of the books. They were shipped UPS and they automatically charge alot for their brokerage. I'll never do it like that again!!

Regards,

Derek
Derek Arvidson

Postby Whooper » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:40 am

"Doo itshi mashite" or you are most welcome or de nada

guitar8va wrote:I ordered some guitar books from the US and the duties I had to pay almost doubled the cost of the books.

Huh? I sometimes buy books from U.S. and Europe but haven't paid any import tax nor customs brokerage. Your Queen doesn't like Uncle Sam's stuff?

Anyway Yairi is highly reputated in both Japan and foreign countries. After the end of WW II, Yairi has produced hundreds of classical, accoustic, semi-electric, and electric guitars. Check her cautiously again

Whooper
Guitars: Kono 1956, Hikozo Terada 1964, Kohno Model 7 1970, Masaru Matano 1967 & 1977
Whooper

Postby Derek Arvidson » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:42 am

Whooper wrote:"Doo itshi mashite" or you are most welcome or de nada

guitar8va wrote:I ordered some guitar books from the US and the duties I had to pay almost doubled the cost of the books.

Huh? I sometimes buy books from U.S. and Europe but haven't paid any import tax nor customs brokerage. Your Queen doesn't like Uncle Sam's stuff?

Anyway Yairi is highly reputated in both Japan and foreign countries. After the end of WW II, Yairi has produced hundreds of classical, accoustic, semi-electric, and electric guitars. Check her cautiously again

Whooper

I believe if the value is over a certain amount there may be taxes owing on imports from the US. If UPS can get their hands on a product being shipped over the border, they like to charge large amounts for their brokerage. This alone can double the cost of your items sometimes. I know friends who order car parts from the US get very upset at UPS, as they can broker their own shipments for free. They usually end up in a bitter fight with UPS.

I haven't ordered anything directly from the US lately, but we are bringing up a home built sail boat from the States. I'm not sure how it will be cleared as it's not finished yet, it's boat shaped, but won't float. Hopefully it won't be too expensive! I'm looking forward to getting the boat here and going sailing. I'll have to get a little half sized guitar to take with me, or a ukulele. That will make for very nice vacations!!

The more I play with this guitar, the more I like it very much, and I'm happier now with the price of it. Looks like it really was a good deal that was just waiting for me.

Thanks,

Derek
Derek Arvidson

Next

Return to Public Space