New guitar is dried out

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

New guitar is dried out

Postby Herb Elias » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:30 am

After playing a standard acoustic guitar (Seagull) for a few years, I decided I wanted to learn classical guitar. I went to the local Guitar Center and after looking and playing a few nylon string classicals, I bought a Cordoba entry level guitar. After playing it for a few days I noticed an annoying buzz, especially on the D and A strings. They were striking the other frets. I brought it in to GC to raise the action. I got a call from the tech there who told me that the guitar seemed to be dried out. He wanted to examine the bracing to make sure everything was as it should be. He suggested that as an alternative I could have a new one sent to the store, and set up at no charge. After talking to him I recalled the salesperson saying that there was a problem with the humidifier in the acoustic room. MY QUESTION IS do I have him set up, humidify, and repair this guitar that was purchased 5 days ago OR do I have GC order a new one? Also, will practicing the classical techniques on the standard acoustic guitar be detrimental? It'll probably take about 10 days to get a new one. I'm interested to hear everyone's opinions. thanks :? :merci:
Herb Elias

Re: New guitar is dried out

Postby SteveT » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:15 am

Hi Herb,

Unless you live in a REALLY dry climate, there shouldn't be an issue with a fairly new guitar "drying out" just because there wasn't a working humidifier in the acoustic room. Even the lower end Cordobas should be made with air or kiln dried woods,i.e. there shouldn't be much change in the wood due to moisture content - which leads me to believe there is probably a defect with the guitar itself. I suspect that the tech at your GC is not a classical guitar guy (no offense), and is probably not terribly familiar with the proper set up on a classical guitar anyway - I could be completely wrong here tho. If it were me, I would want to know exactly what the tech means by dried out, and how he thinks that is causing the string buzz - is the neck warped? The top scalloped? Bridge lifting? A new guitar might be the safest bet.

Just my opinion,

Steve T. :cafeine:
"DO or DO NOT; there is no TRY"
~~Yoda (as quoted by Scott Tennant)

Esteve Manuel Adalid 9 C/B
SteveT

Postby wbg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:13 am

Herb,

I think that I would opt for the new one also. Even and entry level guitar, especially a classical should perform better.

Barry Green-Burns
wbg

Postby Tarbaby » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:47 am

I agree. If they're offering you a new guitar, take it Herb.

I see from your intro that you live in Philly, which is DEFINATELY not a dry climate, especially this time of year. I suspect that something weird happened to that guitar...

Alan
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Languages: English, German, Classical Guitar.
2003 Sergio Abreu; 1976 Granada
Tarbaby

Postby lleiro » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:57 am

Phily is not dry but the heater during the winter is a killer... If it came like that and they are acknowledging the faulty humidifier, get a new one and make sure you keep it moist by using a guitar humidifier at all times at least during the winter

I live in Wisconsin and the heater is a big threat to my guitars...
lleiro

Postby Herb Elias » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:46 am

Thanks for all the advice. It seems everyone is in agreement with getting a different guitar. When GC opens later this morning I'll call them and get it ordered.
Herb Elias

Postby circle1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:05 pm

Guitar Center abuses their guitars and takes no care of them at all. Who knows where that guitar sat and for how long before it made its way to Philly? Take them up on the new guitar offer and hope for the best. Buying a guitar from Guitar Center is a major buyer beware situation. At least they are doing right by you on this one.
Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it! Begin it now.
- W.H. Murray
circle1

Postby Herb Elias » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:34 am

I went in there first thing this morning and spoke to the sales manager. He was very accommodating and said he would have another one sent to him. Hopefully it'll be here by the end of the week. :) Tonight I'll be listening to the Clapton Unplugged CD, one of my favorites.
Herb Elias

Postby Herb Elias » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:56 am

Update....it took a about a week to get the new guitar. The tech went over it to make sure it too wasn't dried out. It wasn't. I got a small humidifier and keep the guitar in the case when I'm not playing it. I'd rather have it out on a stand so I can just pick it up whenever I want to. My wife doesn't mind that I don't have 3 guitars out in the family room any more. :lol:
Herb Elias

Postby Wcasey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:20 pm

circle1 wrote:Guitar Center abuses their guitars and takes no care of them at all. Who knows where that guitar sat and for how long before it made its way to Philly? Take them up on the new guitar offer and hope for the best. Buying a guitar from Guitar Center is a major buyer beware situation. At least they are doing right by you on this one.

I completely agree. 99% of the guys working at my local Guitar Center wouldn't know how to identify a high end classical guitar if it hit them in the face. If and when they ever get a half way decent classical (lets say over $2000), they let people abuse it. It ends up with belt buck scratches, pick stratches from strumming etc.... I've told them repeatedly that its such a shame that they let people abuse their guitars for sale, but their response is that we need to let the customers play them (usually unsupervised). I've seen the sales guys do string changes on classicals and swap out the saddles from other classicals hanging on the wall as if it was no big deal!
Wcasey

Postby Rick-in-Annapolis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:33 pm

There are other reasons I don't like the Guitar Center. I went into one in Minneapolis looking for a classical. When I found one I wanted
to play (and more importantly, hear) I was told "Just go over and sit next to the 16 year old kid playing the electrical guitar hooked
to a 1000 watt amplifier". I handed him the classical, said "No thanks", and walked out.
Rick-in-Annapolis

Postby gregvet » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:43 am

Actually, I had good luck with my purchase of a Cordoba C-10 at GC. I did not see any at the GC I went to but what I did was order the guitar at the store computer to be sent to my house. That way, it never went to their store and if I was not satisfied with it, I could return it to GC without a shipping cost.
For a lifetime, music is enough but for music, a lifetime is not enough. Rachmaninoff
A right note at the wrong time is always wrong, but a wrong note at the right time is half right Beethoven
2012 Kris Barnett PHI, 2013 Robert England
gregvet

Humidity meter is a must!

Postby sgreen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:16 am

I do not know which Cordoba you have but their latest models are very thin, and sensitive. Make sure you have a humidity meter in the room where your guitar is. You can never know how humid or dry the air is by simply feeling it. If it goes lower than 40 stick a small humidifier into the case, usually in winter months when the heating is on and it is below zero outside. If it is somewhere from 45 to 65 then it is Ok. I also have a Cordoba (C10), and I have been noticing when it gets dry it starts sounding somewhat thinner and less rich on the basses. Humidifier seems to rectify it within few days.

- sgreen
sgreen

Postby Herb Elias » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:10 pm

thanks for the advice. I've been using a humidifier in the case and now plan to get humidity meter.
Herb Elias

Return to Public Space