MusEdit to be Open Sourced

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

MusEdit to be Open Sourced

Postby Alan Stancliff » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:13 am

Hello all,

Doug Rogers, the originator of the MusEdit software for writing guitar scores and tablature, has decided to open-source this software. Over the next couple of weeks, he will be making changes to the MusEdit website to reflect this. As this is no longer commercial software, I am assuming there is no problem posting these links. Doug gave me permission to post these links here, and he welcomes the guitar community to share them.

This program has been a favorite of many people for a lot of years, but Doug's other interests have kept him from updating it. Moreover, he has been in Vietnam, and that has been quite a distraction for him. He finds maintaining this software to be pretty exhausting, and after 15 years of doing so, he is ready to move onto another stage in his life.

Here is a bit from an email Doug sent me, which is pretty much word-for-word what he sent the Yahoo MusEdit group a few days ago:

Please note this important announcement:

I have been upgrading and supporting MusEdit for nearly 15 years now, but I'm sorry to say I won't be able to continue supporting MusEdit as I have in the past because I will be travelling throughout Asia over the course of the next year. For this reason I am planning to make MusEdit "Open Source" by mid-March, 2011. This means the MusEdit source code will be free and open for anyone to use and modify as they wish under a standard "open source" license. This also means MusEdit will become free for anyone who wants it. I'm also hoping programmers interested in improving MusEdit by fixing bugs and adding new features will work on MusEdit and take it to a more advanced level. I hope this will be of great benefit to the entire MusEdit community. (MusEdit is written in C++, so if you or any programmers you know are familiar with this computer language and are interested in working on the MusEdit source code, please let me know).

This software has been a big part of Doug's life, a time which has presented him with many challenges and difficulties. Doug has made a beautiful gift to both the classic guitar community and the open source community. He is offering a download link for this program.

1. Here is a link to the upgrade notes for the latest version, 4.02. The banner incorrectly identifies this as version 3.95 notes.
  2. Here is a link to the upgrade notes for version 3.95.
  3. Here is a link to the upgrade notes for version 3.94.

And here is a link to the installation file, along with instructions, of the latest version, 4.02. If you're installing it for the first time, scroll down the page a bit.

As far as I can tell, the phone number and email address at the bottom of the page do not work. I expect that in a few weeks, Doug will update his email information. He often cannot get email, and I suspect he has very limited phone access in Vietnam.

I am sending Doug a link to this thread, and if you wish, you can express your appreciation here for this generous sharing of an important part of Doug's passion in life. If you wish to help in programming the open source MusEdit and know C+, send me a PM and I'll forward it onto Doug. Unfortunately, I cannot provide support for the program through PMs. The help file has the full manual.

Regards y saludos

Alan Stancliff
Languages: Standard American English and Spanish
Alan Stancliff

Re: MusEdit to be Open Sourced

Postby Bernhard Heimann » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:46 am

Hi Alan!

Thank you for posting this very helpful information and of course,
thank you Doug, for making this present to the Delcamp community.

I've been using several programs to write scores (Capella, Tabledit, Lilypond),
but not MusEdit up to now - I just didn't take notice of it. As I've got some scores to
write down, I'll give MusEdit a try. Alan's comments make me want to
begin today!

:merci:

Bernhard
Bernhard Heimann

Postby emb » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:35 pm

I'll definitely be giving this a try. I've been using MuseScore recently but it would be nice to have something with TAB capability from time to time. Many thanks to Doug for making this freely available!

emb
emb

Postby KenK » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Is it Windows only?

I looked but couldn't find any info about platforms.

KenK
Krups Espresso Machine
Bodum French Press
Melitta #2
Vietnamese Drip Style
Krups 10 cup Automatic-Drip
Braun KSM2 Grinder :cafe:
KenK

Postby JQ. » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:07 pm

KenK wrote:Is it Windows only?

Yes.

If you are looking for open source (free) that also has Mac and Linux versions, there's always TuxGuitar.
JQ.

Postby Catire » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks. The link doesn't work, though.
"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible." - Oscar Wilde
Catire

Postby Bernhard Heimann » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 am

Download link (V4.0.3):
http://www.musedit.com/MusEdit-Setup.msi

Bernhard
Bernhard Heimann

Postby KenK » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:59 pm

JQ. wrote:
KenK wrote:Is it Windows only?

Yes.

If you are looking for open source (free) that also has Mac and Linux versions, there's always TuxGuitar.

Thanks JQ.

I have Logic, which is pretty good for notation but does have it's limitations.
I'll take a look at Tuxguitar.

KenK
Krups Espresso Machine
Bodum French Press
Melitta #2
Vietnamese Drip Style
Krups 10 cup Automatic-Drip
Braun KSM2 Grinder :cafe:
KenK

Postby Brian Allen » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Hey Alan and Classical Guitar members. This is Brian Allen inventor of AdTab(the tablature enhancement system found in MusEdit). I REALLY REALLY need to contact Doug !! If you can be of assistance it would be GREATLY appreciated. Also, any MusEdit users who are proficient with using MusEdit, your help would be greatly appreciated as well. Thank you. :P
Brian Allen

Postby Bernhard Heimann » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:58 am

Hi Brian!

Welcome to the Delcamp forum - surely the best place on the internet for classical guitar.
I hope a moderator will soon show up and ask you to introduce yourself and give you some useful hints on how
to use this forum best.

One idea how to contact Doug: send a private message via this forum to Alan, who should have Doug's mail address. He could get a mail notification this way.
You can do this simply by clicking on the PM symbol below Alan's avatar way up in this thread.

Bernhard
Bernhard Heimann

Postby GeoffB » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:08 am

Don't worry, Bernhard, we haven't ignored Brian - I already sent a PM about the introduction.

But just to add to that, Brian, in case you don't get round to introducing yourself, you'll find some useful information about using the forum here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36537

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby tomo79 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:40 pm

Am I the only one getting 'Server not found' notices for these links?
tomo79

Postby George Crocket » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:21 pm

tomo79 wrote:Am I the only one getting 'Server not found' notices for these links?

No.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar
George Crocket

Postby l.willms » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:27 am

The domain musedit.com is still registered by Douglas R. Rogers, but the website is no longer connected, and the registration for the domain expires on 24 Nov 2012. By using the free "whois" program (whois.exe for Windows), one can have a look into the registration details where one finds D. Rogers' email address, at gmail.com.

I wanted to send a private message to Brian Allan and Alan Stancliff, but the forum software would not let me to do that.
l.willms

Postby GeoffB » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:18 am

Hi l.willms, thanks for that and welcome to the forum. You should now have access to the private messaging system. If you're going to be sticking around, could I invite you to introduce yourself here?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Next

Return to Public Space