Guitar arm sleeve

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

Guitar arm sleeve

Postby KrisRKing » Sat May 14, 2011 6:16 am

I'm thinking of buying one of these. My new guitar has a french polish and it is really hot here in Texas. I don't want my sweat eating away at that. I've also had some issues with my arm sticking to the guitar making it difficult to shift right hand positions and a little discomfort from the edge of the guitar after hours of practicing. I've read that these type of products help with those problems. The one I have in mind is the Oasis Premium Guitar Sleeve (the tapered one with the pad in it)

Have any of you had experience with these or something like this?
What is your opinion on guitar arm sleeves?
Thanks!
KrisRKing

Re: Guitar arm sleeve

Postby GuitarVlog » Sat May 14, 2011 6:25 am

I have the same one and I like it. I didn't get it to protect the guitar finish but to ensure that my forearm would be able to move smoothly when shifting my hand over the strings. I use it whenever I'm wearing a short-sleeved shirt.

If you're on a budget or just want to get an idea of how it would work for you, just cut-up a new tube sock. :)
"The hardest time for most guitar players is the beginning stage, because it is all investment and no return." - Charlotte Adams
"It's not your guitar or lute that matters but what you can do with it." - Moi
GuitarVlog

Postby Malcolm Kavalsky » Sat May 14, 2011 6:42 am

I prefer using socks ( just cut diagonally at the heel).

The oasis is made of a thinner synthetic (nylon?) stretch material and feels less comfortable in my opinion. I used it for a while originally assuming that a specially designed solution should be better than home-baked, however not in this case.
No pain, no pain.

Check out my free mobile app JustPractice for iPhone and Android. Click on the website below my avatar for details.
Malcolm Kavalsky

Postby garydogwood » Sat May 14, 2011 9:01 am

i also use socks. they do kind of stretch out after awhile but seems i have an unending supply of socks with holes in them so i just cut another one. maybe i can sell them on e - b a y for $20 each. :)

gw
garydogwood

Postby TomPage » Sat May 14, 2011 11:35 am

GuitarVlog wrote:If you're on a budget or just want to get an idea of how it would work for you, just cut-up a new tube sock. :)

Or if you're really on a budget (or just cheap like me) cut up an old sock which has worn through the heal or toe. The upper part surely has plenty of wear left as a guitar sleeve. Doesn't even have to be a tube sock since you are cutting off the whole foot part.
Tom
TomPage

Postby philparker » Sat May 14, 2011 11:49 am

You can also try an arm-warmer from the cycling fraternity!
philparker

Postby Sean » Sat May 14, 2011 1:13 pm

Or the basketball sleeve - Allen Iverson style.
Sean

Postby Rick-in-Annapolis » Sat May 14, 2011 1:22 pm

I seem to recall (I bought my sleeve a couple of years ago) that they come in two sizes, depending on the size of your
wrist and forearm. If you have thin arms, like me, should should definitely buy the smaller version.
Rick-in-Annapolis

Postby Bentkey » Sat May 14, 2011 2:45 pm

As others have said, a heavy tall athletic sock is the way to go. I even wear it if I have on a long sleave shirt because of the extra cushioning it provides my forearm. I never play without it.
2007 Frederich Holtier Cedar Double Top - ("the harder I drive her the sweeter she sings, so far the best are Hannabach strings"... Burma Shave)
Bentkey

Postby chuckinphoenix » Sat May 14, 2011 2:51 pm

Socks rock!!!!
If you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes.
chuckinphoenix

Postby Ramon Amira » Sat May 14, 2011 3:06 pm

Here's an idea that guarantees no sweat will ever get on your guitar - wear a suit of armor. :D

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain
Ramon Amira

Postby Ramon Amira » Sat May 14, 2011 3:09 pm

Prominent Critic wrote:Here's an idea that guarantees no sweat will ever get on your guitar - wear a suit of armor. :D

Ramon

This has the additional advantage that you're fully protected in case the audience doesn't like your performance and starts throwing rotten fruit.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain
Ramon Amira

Postby instrumental57 » Sat May 14, 2011 3:19 pm

I own and use one any time I play one of my instruments with short sleeves, not sure where I bought it from but it is part of my gear now. I highly recommend them.
R.Brandon Sumner
2009 Ramirez 125 Años CD/IN
2011 Martin OMC16GTE
2008 Aparicio AA30 SP/In
instrumental57

Postby Sean » Sat May 14, 2011 5:28 pm

Prominent Critic wrote:Here's an idea that guarantees no sweat will ever get on your guitar - wear a suit of armor. :D

Ramon

Could put a scratch or two on the guitar . . . or the player.
Sean

Postby LVR » Sat May 14, 2011 6:06 pm

I hope I won't be scorned by the sock-users but I cut a sleeve off a worn-out long-sleeve shirt like a turtleneck. (hint - each shirt has 2 sleeves in case one gets sweaty.) This has the advantage of fitting your arm perfectly.
The basic thing about playing the guitar is the pleasure you get from it. There's nothing wrong with pleasure is there?
Julian Bream
LVR

Next

Return to Public Space