Guitar arm sleeve

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
instrumental57

Re: Guitar arm sleeve

Postby instrumental57 » Sat May 14, 2011 8:56 pm

I remember now that I purchased my arm sleeve from the Oasis guitar humidifier web site, they also sell several different brands of guitar rests. I have had good experiences dealing with these folks.

John O

Postby John O » Sat May 14, 2011 9:28 pm

I bought one from Luthier Music Company that is similar to the Oasis one, but it also has a piece of hard plastic in it that keeps the edge of the guitar from pressing on nerves--it's quite comfortable.

Nick Payne
Amateur luthier

Postby Nick Payne » Sat May 14, 2011 9:57 pm

I just use one of the arm covers that I have to protect forearms from the sun when cycling.

chelson

Postby chelson » Sun May 15, 2011 5:05 am

Have never thought of using arm sleeve. My country is hot and humidity. Sometime i even play without a top, so my sweat can be all over the guitar. Luckily, my guitar is of low quality, so nothing to worry. But looks like it is a must to consider such setup for my coming new guitar. :lol:

sgreen

Postby sgreen » Sun May 15, 2011 5:15 am

I was trying to use a piece of cloth in the beginning, but then it was always sliding and it was somewhat tedious to hold it right. Then I saw this clip, and now the cloth is no longer used (except for cleaning),

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKW5p3vUmQ0

Asked my instructor, he does the same. Problem solved, use socks ;)!

- sgreen

Robert M

Postby Robert M » Sun May 15, 2011 10:24 am

I used to use a tube sock but like the Oasis better. It's a lot lighter and cooler to wear. I bought it from
strings by mail Item# OH-8M - Oasis Guitar Sleeve – Size Medium. Below is their add for it.

Arm Band
Made of cool, smooth nylon and elastane, the Oasis comfortably allows your arm to move freely, and protects your finish from skin chemistry and wear due to friction. The Oasis Guitar Sleeve is an easy way to protect a valuable instrument and improve playing comfort. Available in 3 sizes

Euan Hannah
Amateur luthier

Postby Euan Hannah » Sun May 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Prominent critic said
Here's an idea that guarantees no sweat will ever get on your guitar - wear a suit of armor. :D

I usually just put on the suit of armour when posting on the forum rather than for playing :D

Mark Bacon
Student of the online lessons

Postby Mark Bacon » Sun May 15, 2011 6:28 pm

I use a sweat band made for the wrist...just slid up a little higher.

Jose-Guitarra8a

Postby Jose-Guitarra8a » Sun May 15, 2011 7:31 pm

Nick Payne wrote:I just use one of the arm covers that I have to protect forearms from the sun when cycling.

Same here. Works great. For awhile I was using long white cotton socks but my arm would start sweating.
1989 Paul Jacobson Cedar/Brazilian
2002 Robert Desmond Spruce/Brazilian
2011 Jason Wolverton Spruce/Maple

FHC

Postby FHC » Sun May 15, 2011 11:14 pm

Love the Oasis sleeve.

musicake

Postby musicake » Mon May 16, 2011 8:34 am

I've made a few sleeves out of tricot fabric (stretchy, soft and breathable) for times when it's too hot to wear a long sleeved shirt. Which is quite rare in this country...

What I did was measure two places- one around my mid forearm, and the other around my bicep, and then estimated the distance between the two. One seam and then some hemming- and all of a sudden you have a nice sleeve that fits perfectly, all in under 15 minutes. Also when done with a nice fabric the sleeve is performance worthy!

Brad Little

Postby Brad Little » Mon May 16, 2011 7:12 pm

I use an arm sleeve when it's hot and I'm likely to sweat. No reason you couldn't make one out of an old sock or long-sleeve tee shirt, as some have suggested. I also have a fingerless glove I use sometimes in the winter-my practice area occasionally gets down close to 13 C.
Brad

DragonSword9111

Postby DragonSword9111 » Thu May 19, 2011 7:22 am

The idea of using socks are simply great, easy to hide under white shirts =P
DS
Guitars: Dominique Field, Yamaha GC-30 (Spruce)
Youtube account: DragonSword9111

Valéry Sauvage

Postby Valéry Sauvage » Thu May 19, 2011 2:15 pm

I don't know about gutiar arm sleeve, but lute arm sleeves should be green...
:oops: (OK I'm going out...)
Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.

KeMe

Postby KeMe » Thu May 19, 2011 8:13 pm

I use one of the long arm sleeves that I got from one of the times when I was in the hospital. They fit the arm snugly in order to protect the IV needles in my arm from being bumped or pulled out when I played my guitar in the hospital bed.
It is long enough to cover my watch, which I wear on my right arm, and covers up to the middle of my upper arm. It is also flesh colored and is less obvious. I cut mine off just above the thumb opening.
Anyhow, it works great but they are a little difficult to find.
Arm cover.jpg

Kay :sorride:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

Return to “Public Space”