Antonio Picado 60

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

Antonio Picado 60

Postby chelson » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:22 pm

As promised...my Antonio Picado 60 is finally here. Think this is ever the first detailed photo shots for Antonio Picado 60 guitar that can be found in this forum, beside the model 54. In fact, I had a hard time finding them in Internet. Nevertheless, please excuse my photographic skill as I'm no professional.

I can't really describe whether its sound is loud or not, because this is my very first handmade guitar (and perhaps the last), so I can't compare it like what Jonny has done. However, I do realise its harmonics is very loud and all tones are well balanced. I truly love this guitar and appreciate its sound. Will try my best to take good care of it, and hope it will last and last...as long as I can still play it.

Some of the photos are cropped due to forum default. Copy/view the link to see the full picture.

chelson

Re: Antonio Picado 60

Postby Pino41 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Congratulations this is a very beautiful guitar. There is one for sale currently on a well know dutch auction side. Starting bid is €1.200,--. Picado is quite rare in NL at least I am not aware of shops that sell them. I am sure you will enjoy this nice guitar as it sounds as good as it looks you are a very lucky person.
Pino41

Postby ScottK89 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:28 pm

I played one of these at the CG Store in Philly, I loved it.. Congratulations.
ScottK89

Postby Tom » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:59 pm

The process of waiting, opening and playing the newly arrived guitar is always a fascinating experience.

This looks like a very nice selection and you will probably need to spend more time playing to get the sound break in. I have one very old spruce top guitar, may be close to 30 years, the spruce color has turned to like cedar.

Although not the best from my collections, few of my friend who heard me playing told me that is the most "spruce" guitar they have heard.

I believe your spruce guitar will also blossom over time.
Tom

Postby chelson » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Tom wrote:The process of waiting, opening and playing the newly arrived guitar is always a fascinating experience.

This looks like a very nice selection and you will probably need to spend more time playing to get the sound break in. I have one very old spruce top guitar, may be close to 30 years, the spruce color has turned to like cedar.

Although not the best from my collections, few of my friend who heard me playing told me that is the most "spruce" guitar they have heard.

Tom, It's truly fascinating, and I'm playing it almost everyday now. Haha, but I'm also long to try your collections.

Cheers!
chelson

Postby bindiman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:37 pm

Hey Chelson,

congratulations for your new wonderful guitar !

I've played a 60 Spruce in Switzerland (probably the shop best sorted woth Picados in Europe !) and it was amazing !
I want one as well, but I have to wait (money, time, priorities ..)

Thanks for sharing the pics ! It's true there are no good pics in the whole internet of the 60. so thank you very much !!

Where have you bought it ? as far as I know Picado does not pack in Hiscox ...

You may habe lots of fun with your Guitar !

cheers
Thomas
bindiman

Postby Tom » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:56 am

chelson wrote:
Tom wrote:The process of waiting, opening and playing the newly arrived guitar is always a fascinating experience.

Tom, It's truly fascinating, and I'm playing it almost everyday now. Haha, but I'm also long to try your collections.

Cheers!

So are you ready to get your Picado for a PK session?
Tom

Postby hyz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:41 am

Just realize you own this nice AP60 from Spain.

I had played few Picado guitar in the past, including AP60. I am very sure your AP60 will outplay all those Yaya Papaya guitars.

It will make them "Pi Bo Yan" (cannot smell the smoke).

hyz
hyz

Postby chelson » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:08 am

hyz wrote:Just realize you own this nice AP60 from Spain.

I had played few Picado guitar in the past, including AP60. I am very sure your AP60 will outplay all those Yaya Papaya guitars.

It will make them "Pi Bo Yan" (cannot smell the smoke).

hyz

Haha, Thanks! But I don't like to compare. I have 2 guitars, AP60 and CG192C. Personally, I find they are unique by themselves, for sound, tone, finishing, etc. etc. and I'm in love with both of them. So, they will stay with me for the rest of my life, nothing more. Just like my one and only wife. Kind of contented person, I am. Nevertheless, I would still like to look around and play other made and models for the fun and feel, and I truly respect every piece of them. It's all the hard work and sweat putting into every one of them, from the trees to the delivery, despite they are handmade or factory made.

I'm more to music playing than to collection of the finest instrument. That's why I know nuts about guitars; their brand, their material, whatsoever, in the past 30 years until I read this forum and starts to learn a bit here and there from people like Tom, yourself, and many more. I believe the highest level is able to play the best piece of music with any price tag of guitar and still sound nice. Just like the most powerful swordsman can use any tree branch he pick up and fight like he is holding the best sword on earth. But of course, different branch, different sword will have a different type of cuts and wounds on the enemy, but the end result should be the same. A childhood belief that has followed me a long way.

I know I have kind of a weird thinking, anyway most musicians have their weird weird thoughts (my friends said). But that's me, most important is 问心无愧. Hahaha! :wink:

chelson
己所不欲 勿施于人.
chelson

Postby guitarseller345645 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:36 am

Congratulations!

So you are now the owner of a guitar made by a 'higher end' company - my own term for companies that do not make beginner guitars.

Don't know if I will ever get around to buying mine...
guitarseller345645

Postby chelson » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:39 am

guitarseller345645 wrote:Congratulations!

So you are now the owner of a guitar made by a 'higher end' company - my own term for companies that do not make beginner guitars.

Don't know if I will ever get around to buying mine...

Not true. Their lower model are made for beginners. What I'm having is nothing high end too, just a guitar that I love and made by a reputable workshop. There are flaws of course, nothing is perfect. But I love it just the way it is.

Not new. Have it since last year. You can have yours too. I have been learning and playing with my $60 guitar for almost 30 years. Nothing wrong with that. Only someone kicked up my passion recently, then I thought perhaps it's time to change my guitar for the next 30 years or more. The beloved $60 piece was packed nicely in a hardcase and sent to the charity.

Cheers!
chelson

Postby guitarseller345645 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:59 am

chelson wrote:Not true. Their lower model are made for beginners.

Their lowest model is the 49 which goes for around US$1300 - hardly a beginners' instrument - more a conservatory instrument.

I meant they do not make stuff like eg. Alhambra 1C :)

I had a Yamaha GC before, but Yamaha makes really low end stuff as well.
guitarseller345645

Postby chelson » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:15 am

guitarseller345645 wrote:I had a Yamaha GC before, but Yamaha makes really low end stuff as well.

I don't find my Yamaha CG192C is low end either. Love them all.
chelson

Postby guitarseller345645 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:14 pm

The 192 is the top model of the CG range so it is a mid-range model.

Let's just say I have a strange fetish for makers that do not make guitars below the intermediate category, ok?
Last edited by guitarseller345645 on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guitarseller345645

Postby Tom » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Buying guitars from reputable Spanish workshops such as Picado is always a safe bet. They don't make guitars that are too flashy but they can be trusted for the quality and sound.

I am not a big fan of Spanish workshop guitars. But having some experience in the past , I can only advise that if you guys one day have some spare money to spend for buying a real good Spanish guitar, go for Paulino Bernabe you will never regret. I am referring to their top end models such as Especial, Imperial and Royal.

Best wood, best workmanship, best sound and best resale value. What else do you need?
Tom

Next

Return to Public Space