Yamaha GL-1 Guitalele Strings and Tuning

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

Yamaha GL-1 Guitalele Strings and Tuning

Postby Shakespare » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:42 am

I need new strings for my guitalele and would appreciate some help in choosing them. The instrument has been tuned to ADGCEA (like a guitar with a capo on the fifth) which allows me to play ukulele chords on the four highest strings. I have been unable to find any good advice as to what set of strings to buy. Obviously this instrument is not my main guitar but I would still like decent strings without having to spend too much or buy multiple sets and singles to mix and match if possible. I also remember reading that the guitalele can be tuned to EADGBE (standard) but only if certain strings are used. Can anyone tell me which strings would work?

I have a set of d'addario alto guitar EJ52 normal tension strings. Are these correct for either tuning?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Shakespare

Re: Yamaha GL-1 Guitalele Strings and Tuning

Postby soltirefa » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:46 am

I did a search and found a place called Kraft Music that sells a bundle that includes the Guitalele and an extra set of strings. You just use regular guitar strings, but tune up to A and not E. Here is a paste of what it says about the strings.

Extra Strings are a necessity when playing your guitalele. Depending on how much you play, you will want to change strings every 1-2 months. Our GUITAR ESSENTIALS BUNDLE has you covered with your first replacement set. This D'Addario EJ45 Pro-Arte set features a regular gauge that is easy to play, while retaining a full, bright tone. (sells separately for $11.95)
soltirefa

Return to Public Space