La Cumparsita best version?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

La Cumparsita best version?

Postby Yeke » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:32 am

Among the huge musical argentinian music repertory, a wide space is dedicated or can be adapted to our favorite instrument.
"La cumparsita" belongs to the group of melodies that are very well known and has been often played on guitar, between
traditional music to advanced guitar arrangement.

I guess there are a lot of versions in the field.

I can remember having personally met (listened or seen the music sheet) a few versions: Pepe Romero, Xue Fei Yang,Bunken Nagano,
Annibal Arias and some others that didn't make me significant impression enough to remember.
Among all these I remember having a good impression after listening Pepe Romero's version but I don't think there's a music sheet
somewhere.

Is there a version published you would recommend for solo guitar?
Yeke

Re: La Cumparsita best version?

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:58 am

Don't know about published versions but I was pretty blown away with the performance by Juango Dominguez.
Last edited by Denian Arcoleo on Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Homer is new and fresh this morning, and nothing, perhaps, is so old and tired as today's newspaper."
Charles PĂ©guy
Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby carlos » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:13 pm

Yes. That Juanjo Dominguez is impressive. His CD's of several of his favorite tangos is something else.
carlos

Postby Joe de V » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:03 pm

Personally I prefer the Kaare Norge's interpretation of this Tango . In addition therwe is another interesting-to-watch play of this piece by 11 year old Julio Silpitruca starting at 1min.25 seconds of the video ( to spare you of the announcers chatter) you can see both videos also at You Tube.
Last edited by Joe de V on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe de V

Postby Aryeh » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:56 pm

So far all I've seen is arr.'s that go on too long, have too many boring runs, licks & virtuosic variations and are not in the best sounding key for the guitar. My favorite arr. is by Anibal Arias, it's in a dark and mysterious D minor with a low D tuning and is to the point simple & beautiful, utilizing the lower end that gives it that tango bass heft. There's a video on Youtube of Arias playing it live in concert but unfortunately the sound isn't that good and he's is not in the best technical shape compared to his early recordings - still you get an idea of this excellent arr. The middle section is done in a haunting milonga rhythm, pure genius.
Aryeh

Postby ValĂ©ry Sauvage » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:05 pm

It seems this piece is still under copyright until 2018...
:oops:
Count Basie: I don't worry about virtuosity. I do what I like to do. If I'm a virtuoso, that's great. If not, I'm doing what I like to do.
Valéry Sauvage

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:50 pm

Valéry Sauvage wrote:It seems this piece is still under copyright until 2018...
:oops:

I've taken away the video Valery, apologies.
"Homer is new and fresh this morning, and nothing, perhaps, is so old and tired as today's newspaper."
Charles PĂ©guy
Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby dlmoak » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:21 pm

Barrueco has published the version he recorded.
Traphagen fan
dlmoak

Postby Aryeh » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:29 am

dlmoak wrote:Barrueco has published the version he recorded.

I wasn't aware Barrueco recorded La Cumparsita, on which CD does it appear? Maybe you're confusing it with La Comparsa, a Cuban dance by Ernesto Lecuona recorded on Barrueco's Cuba! CD on the EMI label.
Aryeh

Postby Yeke » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:05 am

The message from Aryeh made me review the version of anibal Arias (on Youtube) and I do agree there's something special and genuine
in his version.
I just wanted to inform you that this version is published: under the title "Tangos" there are at least 3 volumes (as I did find the 2 and 3)
published by Melos.

The volume 2 is made of Anibal Arias arrangements. in this one you'll find:
- El dia que me quieras
- Bodeo
- Una noche de garufa
- Responso
- La cumparsita
- El apache argentino
- Los mareados
- Fuimos
- Sur
- Maria
- Milonga triste
- Volver
- Romance del barrio
- A Homero

The 3rd volume is dedicated to Ruben "Chocho Ruiz".
Yeke

Postby Aryeh » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:38 pm

Yeke wrote:The message from Aryeh made me review the version of anibal Arias (on Youtube) and I do agree there's something special and genuine
in his version.
I just wanted to inform you that this version is published: under the title "Tangos" there are at least 3 volumes (as I did find the 2 and 3)
published by Melos.

The volume 2 is made of Anibal Arias arrangements. in this one you'll find:
- El dia que me quieras
- Bodeo
- Una noche de garufa
- Responso
- La cumparsita
- El apache argentino
- Los mareados
- Fuimos
- Sur
- Maria
- Milonga triste
- Volver
- Romance del barrio
- A Homero

The 3rd volume is dedicated to Ruben "Chocho Ruiz".

Thanks Yeke for the info, I have those books and for the most part they aren't the more sophisticated arr.'s that Arias plays on his recordings, geared to a more intermediate level player. The books have TAB too. The La Cumparsita arr. in the book is in a different key and bears almost no resemblance to the one you saw him play on YouTube.
Last edited by Aryeh on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aryeh

Postby dlmoak » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:11 pm

Aryeh wrote:
dlmoak wrote:Barrueco has published the version he recorded.

I wasn't aware Barrueco recorded La Cumparsita, on which CD does it appear? Maybe you're confusing it with La Comparsa, a Cuban dance by Ernesto Lecuona recorded on Barrueco's Cuba! CD on the EMI label.

You are correct - not paying attention!
Traphagen fan
dlmoak

Postby drew » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:27 pm

I have spent hours searching for a good arrangement of this piece. The best I have been able to find was arranged by David Moreno. Unfortunately the sheet music is so faded its areal battle to make out all the notes. I am in the process of rewriting and rearranging it - the essence is still there. You will find a recording of his version on youtube - albeit a very old one
drew

Postby Aryeh » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:12 pm

drew wrote:I have spent hours searching for a good arrangement of this piece. The best I have been able to find was arranged by David Moreno. Unfortunately the sheet music is so faded its areal battle to make out all the notes. I am in the process of rewriting and rearranging it - the essence is still there. You will find a recording of his version on youtube - albeit a very old one

Just listened to the old David Moreno recording and YouTube and it's really nice - but I think the reason it sounds so good is that it's for two guitars - one guitar plays the melody and the other plays the accompanying chords in a 4/4 tango strum so it sounds full of lively rhythm.
Aryeh

Postby drew » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:47 pm

You are correct - and it's difficult to get that sound with one guitar! Did enjoy Annibal's version sounds great with the dropped D. Would like it done even simpler though so as not to lose the tango feel
drew

Return to Public Space