Good Beginner Songs?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

Good Beginner Songs?

Postby 477ashton » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:02 pm

I'm just starting to get into classical guitar and finger picking, what songs would you recommend I learn? I already know things like Blackbird and Dust in The Wind, but those aren't exactly classical. Any suggestions?
477ashton

Re: Good Beginner Songs?

Postby KeMe » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:55 am

Welcome to the Delcamp forum, 477ashton.
We have a large number of beginner's pieces in Volume 1 here on the forum.

I would like to invite you to introduce yourself to the other members here.

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.
KeMe

Postby Kennethmarkhoover » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:04 pm

This site has a lot of great music you can begin with, even so far as to offer lessons. I have found it very helpful myself. :D
“A guitar has moonlight in it.” -- James M. Cain
Kennethmarkhoover

Postby Dave in Canada » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:51 am

If you like popular artists who have done a bit of classical, here are a few easier passages to learn:
1. Dee by Randy Rhoads
2. Intro to Farewell to Kings by Alex Lifeson
3. Brony y Aur by Jimmy Page (bit harder) and he did this on acoustic but it sounds nice on classical.
4. Mood for a Day by Steve Howe

Danger! If you are just getting into technique I would suggest lessons of some kind especially for right hand technique, this pays off with huge dividends as you develop going forward.

The Royal Conservatory repetoire series is highly recommended and as I am new here, I am told there are tons of lessons for guitar on this site I can't wait to dig into.

Happy Picking!
Dave in Canada

Postby Montgomery » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:31 am

Hi and welcome to the forum 477ashton.

Is it classical you would like to learn or fingerstyle guitar?
Montgomery

Postby Kent » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:32 pm

I would start out with Romance by anonymous.
All classical guitarists play it. It is quite simple in composition and easy to learn.
The reason it is so adored is that you can transfer your technique skills to this piece as you advance. It will be a piece you play your whole life.
Kent

Postby Michael McGrath » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Kent wrote:I would start out with Romance by anonymous.
All classical guitarists play it. It is quite simple in composition and easy to learn.
The reason it is so adored is that you can transfer your technique skills to this piece as you advance. It will be a piece you play your whole life.

Not to mention it forces you to learn some of the nastier barrechords I've ever seen...

I think I recall reading here somewhere that this piece was graded 5 (or was it 7?) just because of that. Not that a piece grade has every stopped me from trying to learn it..

But Kent is right; it's a very flexible piece that if you learn in the very beginning (I did, first classical piece every learned, before I even knew that I was playing with triando, etc ;)) you will constantly be able to use it to test every new thing you learn in some way or another. Plus it sounds pretty cool and the girls love it ;) :discussion:
Armed with Book, Forum, and Guitar, I will bare my teeth and face the world! Music is a way of thinking, an art. There is nothing more demanding, and nothing more rewarding.
Michael McGrath

Postby Ben Hoffman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:54 pm

Dave in Canada wrote:3. Brony y Aur by Jimmy Page (bit harder) and he did this on acoustic but it sounds nice on classical.
That was the piece that I played to my guitar instructor, in order to show him what I'd done so far, and that I was interested in classical. :D

Question: do you use your pinky for that piece? When I first learned it I did, but since growing out nails for classical and getting used to never using my pinky finger, I've had to "relearn" it.
Ben Hoffman

Postby cool09 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Go thru some Carcassi, Segovia Sor Study #5, Saltarello (Vincenzo Galilei), Giuliani and some tremolo (Recuerdos de la Alhambra).
cool09

Postby Dave in Canada » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Dave in Canada wrote:3. Brony y Aur by Jimmy Page (bit harder) and he did this on acoustic but it sounds nice on classical.
That was the piece that I played to my guitar instructor, in order to show him what I'd done so far, and that I was interested in classical.

Question: do you use your pinky for that piece? When I first learned it I did, but since growing out nails for classical and getting used to never using my pinky finger, I've had to "relearn" it.Ben Hoffman Posts: 7Joined: Thursday 14 July 2011, 09:58 am

No definitely not using pinky, almost feel like cutting it off! Ok that's harsh, have only used that little gaffer for a wammy bar! Like how Steve Morse uses it for volume dial on on electric guitar for cool effect however. I find the 'i m a' give plenty to work with but hey if you can use Mr. P I salute you!
Dave in Canada

Postby Igrom » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:05 pm

I always overextert myself in the choice of the music I play. Aiming high is fine (yeah, let's play Cavatina on Williams' level), but I can't deny that slowly advancing from the bottom would save me trouble.

Chudnovsky's "Russian Romance" is fine, though it tires fingers easily (the two repeating strings).
Igrom

Postby tprather » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:58 pm

Prelude XII by Per Olov Kindgren is a great beginner piece. He has a web site where you can purchase his music easily. You can hear him play it on youtube.

Tim
tprather

Postby irfan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:48 am

Kent wrote:I would start out with Romance by anonymous.

I second that!
irfan

Postby irfan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:54 am

cool09 wrote:Go thru some Carcassi, Segovia Sor Study #5, Saltarello (Vincenzo Galilei), Giuliani and some tremolo (Recuerdos de la Alhambra).

Sorry, i really not agree recuerdos de la alhambra is beginner piece...
Maybe a bit easy for those pro, but i don't think easy for beginner,,, or maybe is just me.
irfan

Postby OldC1guy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:20 pm

One of the first pieces my old teacher gave me was Adelita by Tarrega. Even after putting my guitar away for 25 or more years, my fingers still knew where to go. You can find it right here. Short and enjoyable. Welcome...
I bought my classical guitar before my first marriage. That didn’t last, but the guitar did; one of the few things she didn't get...
OldC1guy

Next

Return to Public Space