Pc software for composition

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

Pc software for composition

Postby Steve Sharp » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:56 am

Hello all. Not sure if there is a post about this all ready so sorry if there is.
What software do you use to write music. Guitar pro, finale or something else. I have been looking about for something that give a professional look.
I have been using guitar pro 6 but due to not being able to move rests have started useing finale. This is a good prog but not sure if there is something better out there.
Steve Sharp

Re: Pc software for composition

Postby tom0311 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:06 pm

I used to use sibelius when I was a music technology student, I fancied buying it the other day and then saw the price tag. I promptly downloaded musescore for my imac which is free for all platforms and although the midi sounds are pretty crap I'm thoroughly impressed with the software. Give it a try, it's free after all :) The community is also fairly lively and they are releasing a new version soon, there are very good youtube videos made by musescore to help you.
tom0311

Postby igycrctl » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:39 pm

I recommend lilypond. It is also free. A bit of a learning curve, but well worth it in my opinion.
igycrctl

Postby Schneider » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:23 pm

Schneider

Postby Steve Sharp » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks :merci: for tips I will download Lilypong and musescore to see what they are like. Just looked up the price of Sibelius i am glade i was sitting down :lol:
Steve Sharp

Postby tom0311 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Musescore is a pick up and use piece of software, lillypond is a steeper learning curve but looks more powerful. Whichever one suits you really :) and yes I cannot believe how expensive it is when there are open source equivalents.
tom0311

Postby WilliamSchart » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Lillypond looks good for producing a final, finished score but not for actually composing things, where you're trying different things out, making changes, etc.
WilliamSchart

Postby sxedio » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:50 pm

You might want to check the composition workshop where notation software has often been discussed viewforum.php?f=101
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)
sxedio

Postby jwp » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:11 pm

Note that MuseScore will generate output in the Lilypond format, giving you the best of both worlds. My objection to Lilypond as a primary tool is mostly personal - I spent 30+ years as a programmer and I'm not real interested in learning another language, especially one that isn't intrinsically all that interesting. If there was a graphical interface that worked as well as MuseScore's I'd use it, but I couldn't find one.
John W. Pierce
Seguin, Tx, USA
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
jwp

Postby herbray » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:49 am

A few years ago, I purchased a notation package called MusEdit. It was very inexpensive ($45 ?). Unless you're doing some very hairy stuff requiring all sorts of custom and weird notation, it is quite capable. I was able to notate some pretty intricate stuff.

Also, MusEdit has a very strong guitar orientation, with a rich set of left- and right-hand symbols.

The price is right! MusEdit is now free! There is a MusEdit Yahoo group. You'll be able to download the .MSI and the manual from that group's file section. It is currently on version 4.0.3.
herbray

Postby jwp » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:10 am

As herbray noted, MusEdit is now free and both the executable and the documentation are available in the "Files" section of the Yahoo "musedit" group; you must join the group to get access to them. It's a pretty nice program, and if it will meet your needs, it might be worth getting.

However, you should be aware that it's Windows-only, and may not work on anything after Windows 7. Also, Doug Rogers (the author) has abandoned it. He released it as Open Source and I would guess that someone in the group grabbed the source before the web site vanished (it is not in the group's "Files" section). However, as far as I could tell from the last year or so worth of messages, no other maintainer/developer has come forward. Anyone who has ever had to dig through 15 years worth of someone else's C++ code will understand why that might be.

In the face of good free programs - MuseScore, LilyPond, others I've forgotten - that work on all platforms and are backed by a fairly large (albeit volunteer) development group, it's difficult to recommend MusEdit for new users. If you do use it, I'd strongly recommend being sure to save your scores as MusicXML files, since that's the only portable format supported. Eventually, you will be forced off of Windows XP and 7 and there's unlikely to be a version for later Windows systems.
John W. Pierce
Seguin, Tx, USA
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
jwp

Postby Marco Helms » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:30 am

I agree that MuseScore ist a very promising piece of software, but the versionnumber 1.2 at this time is a bit euphemistic: MIDI-Input is o.k., but produces crashes, adding fingerings with mouseclicks is a mess.

Even more interesting in my opinion is denemo (use forum search for it): You also have MIDI-Input and the ability to assign shortcut keys for almost everything. And Lilypond export seems better than MuseScore's, you can even open a windows with Lilypond-sourcecode while doing mouse & MIDI-Input and see what code is added.

Give it a try! But if you are looking for a score-output as perfekt as Sibelius for free, the is no easier way than learning the Lilypondsyntax, I guess.
She said: "I know you and you can not sing."
I said: "That's nothing you should hear me play piano!"
Morrissey (The Smiths)
Marco Helms

Return to Public Space