Rodrigo's " -horrible guitar concerto" -

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
alpsman

Rodrigo's " -horrible guitar concerto" -

Post by alpsman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Yes, "that horrible guitar concerto",

that's the description of conductor,cellist,rock guitarist etc Kenneth Woods, a distinguished artist really.

Here

http://kennethwoods.net/blog1/2013/08/1 ... -50-years/

diewanderer

Re: Rodrigo's " -horrible guitar concerto" -

Post by diewanderer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:47 pm

...I agree with him about the Malcolm Arnold; I think that concerto is much more interesting.

jeff_hatcher

Post by jeff_hatcher » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:53 pm

I can see I’ve already achieved a bit of infamy on a guitar forum for my description of the Rodrigo. Apologies for any hurt feelings. It’s sometimes hard to see the twinkle the writer’s eye via a mere blog post- mostly only kidding, guys. It’s not my favorite, for all kinds of reasons, but I don’t really think it’s horrible. Not completely horrible, anyway. Check
He's entitled to his opinion. I'd rather have my teeth drilled than listen to Stravinsky's "Firebird Suite", even though either occasion is sonically indistinguishable from the other. I've known some people who like the piece. All's fair.

ashworth

Post by ashworth » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:13 pm

The Firebird Suite?? Sure you aren't thinking about some other Stravinsky piece?? :(
- Donnie

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:17 pm

diewanderer wrote:...I agree with him about the Malcolm Arnold; I think that concerto is much more interesting.
It may be more interesting but it doesn't have an Adagio that tugs at the heartstrings. Also the Arnold doesn't put across its melodies as well to the listener, they sound too faint and soft somehow and require even more amplification than the Rodrigo in a large hall situation - both pieces are more effective in a not - too -large hall with a scaled down orchestra.

diewanderer

Post by diewanderer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:53 pm

the Arnold doesn't put across its melodies as well to the listener, they sound too faint and soft somehow
Really, how so?

bear

Post by bear » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Everyone can't like everything. It's the differences that give us something to talk about.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

brianvds

Post by brianvds » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:02 am

Horrible guitar concerto? Apparently the man actually WANTS to be lynched. :-)

I would disagree with the term "horrible" (and it looks like he was just joking too), but I have to say the Aranjuez is not my favourite guitar concerto either. It seems to be the guitar equivalent of the Dvorak cello concerto: guitarists are forced by popular demand to play this same work over and over.

Well, one cannot ignore popular demand; my very definition of a great work is one that has a certain whatever-it-is that makes it appealing across many times and cultures, and by this measure, the Rodrigo concerto is a great work and deserves to be played as often as the public wants it. It does seem a pity though when such works end up completely overshadowing everything else.

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”