Two new compositions commissioned by J Bream Trust

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

Two new compositions commissioned by J Bream Trust

Postby Lovemyguitar » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Hello all,

Here is some very exciting news! On November 21, 2013, two brand new guitar pieces commissioned by The Julian Bream Trust/Julian Bream will be premiered at a concert by Jonathan Leathwood at the Wigmore Hall in London, UK. The two new pieces are:

Harrison Birtwistle: Construction with Guitar Player (world première)

Leo Brouwer: Sonata No. 5: Ars Combinatoria (world première)

I had heard rumours that Mr. Bream was commissioning new work for the guitar through his Trust, and now here it is! I wish I were in London/the UK, but for those who are, you must go to this concert and let us know what these two new pieces are like! Tickets are on sale now.

http://www.wigmore-hall.org.uk/whats-on ... itar-33860
Lovemyguitar

Re: Two new compositions commissioned by J Bream Trust

Postby Artem » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:16 am

That program...
I guess he has something to prove.
Artem

Postby David_Norton » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:03 am

Meaning, what? It seems too complex? The programme note makes it very clear I think: "About this concert: Disregarding the more traditional guitar programmes that have been in currency for many years, The Julian Bream Trust, which has been set up to support young musicians, seeks to explore a largely different repertoire."

:bravo: :bravo: in my estimation.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
David_Norton

Postby lyrical » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:41 am

He played several of these works at the Guitar Weekend in Cleveland last May. The sonata by José deserves to be heard more. Leathwood is a fine musician.
Chris Freitag

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi" SP/BR
2010 German Vazquez Rubio "Hauser" Sp/IR
1998 Augustine Lo Prinzi International Concert Elite, Cedar/IR [retired; gifted to nephew]
lyrical

Postby Batstone » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:37 am

lyrical wrote:He played several of these works at the Guitar Weekend in Cleveland last May. The sonata by José deserves to be heard more. Leathwood is a fine musician.

I like the program but in all honesty the José Sonata in one of the most over played and recorded modern works out there....
Batstone

Postby PaulHardy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:22 am

Artem wrote:That program...
I guess he has something to prove.

But as Praeludium said in another context;

Praeludium wrote:It'd still be much better than yet another program with Asturias and Capricho Arabe (;

I agree it is probably too earnest and heavy-going for the average guitar society meeting; but at least for once a recital at the Wigmore Hall will measure up to the serious intent of the other instrumentalists who play there.

Stand by for some mainstream reviewer claiming it was 'trying too hard' and lacking in the Mediterranean charm (code for "tweeness") they so love about the cutesy little guitar. What, me? Bitter? :)
Last edited by PaulHardy on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proudly avoiding the standard identikit recital programme since 2013
PaulHardy

Postby mcmurray » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:04 am

Hopefully these appear on Youtube. Can't wait to hear them!
mcmurray

Postby Artem » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:25 am

PaulHardy wrote:I agree it is probably too earnest and heavy-going for the average guitar society meeting; but at least for once a recital at the Wigmore Hall will measure up to the serious intent of the other instrumentalists who play there.

Stand by for some mainstream reviewer claiming it was 'trying too hard' and lacking in the Mediterranean charm (code for "tweeness") they so love about the cutesy little guitar. What, me? Bitter? :)

Oh, it's a great program. It's all very good pieces, save for Falla (sorry), and I can't vouch for premieres yet. But... Jose and Lindberg and Bach all in one recital. It's too mano a mano on more than one level.
Why not throw Nicholas Maw in there and all VL etudes. I just feel bad for the dude having to practice all that.

I am all for not playing Arabe and Asturias... at all... for a few decades. But we don't have to go to the other extreme.

Anyway, back to topic: I really appreciate that they comissioned Birtwistle. If they keep up, it will be a very very good series of works for the future of gutiar.
Artem

Postby PaulHardy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Artem I think your assessment is probably spot on (although apologies I still like the Falla). I think you're right that this recital perhaps goes to the other extreme, but it's good to see that end of the spectrum even occupied for once. :D

And even if we're agreed this line-up is too much, it's nice for a change to see a Wigmore Hall programme and not cringe with embarrassment.
Proudly avoiding the standard identikit recital programme since 2013
PaulHardy

Postby lyrical » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Batstone wrote:I like the program but in all honesty the José Sonata in one of the most over played and recorded modern works out there....

I must live in a cave here in NY. Despite a fairly large collection of recordings and lots of recital attendance here over the years, this was the first time I had encountered this work. But, looking online I do find 2 recordings of it on iTunes and 15 recorded performances overall (according to AllMusicGuide). They are mostly by guitarists with whom I am not familiar. Is there a particular recording you'd recommend?
Chris Freitag

1998 Augustine Lo Prinzi International Concert Elite, Cedar/IR [retired; gifted to nephew]
lyrical

Postby Lovemyguitar » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi lyrical,

I am partial to Bream's recording of the Jose Sonata (on Bream's rather rare and hard-to-find Sonata album from 1996 on EMI records, which he recorded playing a beautiful 1940 Hauser guitar), but I am admittedly biased when it comes to Bream. That's a terrific album, if you can find a copy.

Cheers!
Lovemyguitar

Postby riffmeister » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:45 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:I am partial to Bream's recording of the Jose Sonata...

Me, too. Not that Bream needs any more praise, but he is an absolute genius on the guitar.......the way he breathes life into those little black dots.

And I applaud his ongoing efforts to bring new music to the guitar's repertoire.
riffmeister

Postby Batstone » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:32 pm

lyrical wrote:
Batstone wrote:I like the program but in all honesty the José Sonata in one of the most over played and recorded modern works out there....

I must live in a cave here in NY. Despite a fairly large collection of recordings and lots of recital attendance here over the years, this was the first time I had encountered this work. But, looking online I do find 2 recordings of it on iTunes and 15 recorded performances overall (according to AllMusicGuide). They are mostly by guitarists with whom I am not familiar. Is there a particular recording you'd recommend?

I would recommend the recording by Aniello Desiderio off of his "sonata" album.
Batstone

Postby Luis_Br » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:51 pm

Huge program.

The following day Fabio Zanon will be playing there too. Not so difficuld repertoire, but it includes Britten Nocturnal's in Britten's centenary day. If I was not so far away, I would trip there just to watch those concerts, for sure.

Batstone wrote:
lyrical wrote:

I would recommend the recording by Aniello Desiderio off of his "sonata" album.

It seems we are living a Jose Sonata's fever nowadays. In a lot of recent competitions players like to play it.
It is interesting Bream's importance. Iznaola found this piece quite before Bream recording it. But it seems players started to play it only after Bream's recording.
Beside's Bream great recording, I like my teacher recording of it, he recorded in 1995, rare to find, check some movements at his myspace channel:
myspace.com/evertongloeden
Franz Halasz recording of this piece is one of my favorites too. His CD where he plays this Jose and also Turina, Gerhard and Falla is amazing.
Luis_Br

Postby lyrical » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:51 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:Hi lyrical,

I am partial to Bream's recording of the Jose Sonata (on Bream's rather rare and hard-to-find Sonata album from 1996 on EMI records, which he recorded playing a beautiful 1940 Hauser guitar), but I am admittedly biased when it comes to Bream. That's a terrific album, if you can find a copy.

Cheers!

Thanks for the recommendation. I found a copy in stock at an online site and ordered it.
Chris Freitag

lyrical

Next

Return to Public Space