Switched to Classical guitar after 10+ years of metal. Such a wonderful instrument for Composition

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
camer138

Switched to Classical guitar after 10+ years of metal. Such a wonderful instrument for Composition

Post by camer138 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:14 pm

I have been a musician for almost 12 years now and 10 of those years were spent as a complete metalhead. I recently decided it was time for change as so many other things in my life were also changing. Nylon guitar so far has been extremely rewarding to play and compose for, a complete breath of fresh air.

Here is my first "classical" composition. (would like to hear from you experts if that is really the genre I'm writing in here)

Youtube

Guitar used was a Cordoba GK Pro Negra mic'd with an Electro Voice RE-20 mic running into an SPL Crimson Audio Interface.

I haven't seen any clips of RE-20 users micing up their acoustic guitars with one, as its mainly a vocal mic. I, however, was pleased with the result.. it seems to work well with the sound I'm going for.

I've also been using the guitar to write 2-3 voicings for my orchestral music. So glad I made the switch.

Any other users here go classical after being stuck in a specific genre for so long?

Aseret

Re: Switched to Classical guitar after 10+ years of metal. Such a wonderful instrument for Composition

Post by Aseret » Sat May 02, 2015 5:59 am

I am not an expert. The music is very pleasant but I just find the background accompaniement too present.
Thank you for sharing.

Haris Karachristianidis
Student of the online lessons

Re: Switched to Classical guitar after 10+ years of metal. Such a wonderful instrument for Composition

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Tue May 05, 2015 1:22 pm

I am not an expert too. Very nice composition and playing.
I hope you did not entirely quit playing metal.

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Tue May 05, 2015 1:33 pm

It's nice! Not exactly "classical" IMHO, more of a crossover piece which is sweet and smooth. The synth strings are too loud for my taste, and the attack is a bit too soft so they sound a bit "slow on the uptake" to me. But well done.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

guitarlojak

Post by guitarlojak » Wed May 06, 2015 6:36 pm

It's interesting that you call the guitar a wonderful instrument for composition.
I think different: The guitar is actually the poorest instrument at all!
It can't play loudly melodies, it's tone is very short. If you want to play counterpoint you are limited by your fingers. If you wanna play proper harmonies it is the same. Composer like Carulli, Carcassi, Giuliani use very poor harmonies because it's hard to fulfill all the rules of those days: 7th goes down to 3th, no 8th parallels, no 5th parallels. Giuliani actually breaks those rules sometimes.
For Composition piano is much better. If you wanna learn a lot - study Chorals by J.S.Bach or his inventions, or the school of counterpoint by Fux.

At least Hector Berlioz who was a really great composer was a guitarist. But he wrote no piece for guitar...
Andreas Krüger 2009, Cedar with Indian Rosewood

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Wed May 06, 2015 6:50 pm

guitarlojak wrote:The guitar is actually the poorest instrument at all!...For Composition piano is much better.
Hector Berlioz has been discussed at Delcamp before as you probably know:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60348

And he is listed on this prestigious Wikipedia page - Chronological list of composers for the classical guitar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... nological)

I find the guitar to be a wonderful instrument for composition. Can't say agree with a single of your characteristics.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

camer138

Post by camer138 » Fri May 08, 2015 1:57 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

I guess my comparison was to electric guitar. When it comes to composing any sort of multi instrument music the classical guitar gives me the ability to play multiple voices at once. Of course piano is the best instrument for composition, but my piano skills don't touch my guitar skills.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Fri May 08, 2015 3:14 pm

Hey, interesting approach. Popular internet wisdom is to use condenser mics for guitar but the high end dynamic you are using is probably equally good,as it does address the issues associated with standard dynamics (off axis coloration and proximity effect).
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Woby

Post by Woby » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:53 pm

As far as composing on guitar. I think limitations open up new opportunity. Also if you tackle such limits you would improve both as a composer and a guitarist.

Mick the Ramirez Man

Post by Mick the Ramirez Man » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:35 pm

Congratulations on your metamorphosis! I am an ex-rocker; no regrets. Great little composition!!! :okok:

Want some fun? Go into your local rock guitar shop and sit down and play Classical Guitar. The rockers will all stand around in reverence and awe! :wink:
Ramirez 4NE, Ramirez R4 and Ramirez R1

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:57 pm

Cool stuff! Thanks for sharing and best wishes for your composition activities!

Sandaun

Post by Sandaun » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:38 am

I've been a fan of heavy metal as long as I've been a fan of classical guitar. I sort of chuckled to myself reading in high school about heavy metal guitarists adapting Baroque music to heavy metal - I've loved Vivaldi for as long as I can remember.

What I am wondering is, has anyone ever tried to meld the two guitar styles together? (As a duet most likely: two guitars, one classical, one electric, one played fingerstyle, the other played with a plectrum.) I've thought of doing it myself, but I don't think I'm qualified to do so (at least not yet).

Any thoughts on this?
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

AndyPurkis

Post by AndyPurkis » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:47 pm

I enjoyed your composition and playing, thanks for sharing. Not sure if the synth ands anything but could work if it was playing a contrasting melody providing some counterpoint.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:42 am

Sandaun wrote:I've been a fan of heavy metal as long as I've been a fan of classical guitar. I sort of chuckled to myself reading in high school about heavy metal guitarists adapting Baroque music to heavy metal - I've loved Vivaldi for as long as I can remember.

What I am wondering is, has anyone ever tried to meld the two guitar styles together? (As a duet most likely: two guitars, one classical, one electric, one played fingerstyle, the other played with a plectrum.) I've thought of doing it myself, but I don't think I'm qualified to do so (at least not yet).

Any thoughts on this?
Haven't heard it yet but didn't Sharon Isbin do various duets with rock guitarists recently. In particular Steve Vai and Steve Morese? Although if you're being picky, Vai and Morse aren't 'metal' as such even though Vai played for Dave Lee Roth and Whitesnake briefly.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:21 am

I liked the piece too. Not sure what the consensus is on marrying synths and classical guitar but you sometimes hear pieces like this covering modern tunes or where the CG is backed by a band/orchestration and I think this can make it accessible to some people who wouldn’t listen to solo classical guitar.

I started listening to metal too (nwobhm during my youth to blame) but was drawn to classical and flamenco guitar at the same time. And still am along with many other styles of music.
So hopefully you still can work in and enjoy both genres.

Personally I think there’s always been an interest in classical from HM guitarists. You guys with appreciation for heavy and rock guitar presumably know all this stuff but I mention it anyway.
The Metal Evolution documentaries have highlighted how the marriage of blues, rock n roll, amplification and then importantly, the bombast and intricacy of classical symphonic music (e.g. Holst Mars, Ride of the Valkyries etc) arguably created the early bands such as Black Sabbath.
In fact, their titular song from their 1st album came from them playing around with the riff from Holst Mars I believe.

I don’t know much about the US bands that also were in the pot at the same time like Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolfs etc but if you look at the 3 UK bands that were probably the starting point then you get:-

Deep Purple – Blackmore and Jon Lord’s Bach/Baroque influences
Black Sabbath – Symphonic influences
Led Zeppelin – no obvious classical (I think?) but very blues/folk oriented

So I think from this starting point, CG has typically been of interest to us metalheads or most of us at least! For example, Randy Rhoads (RIP) who played with Ozzy Osbourne was a keen classical guitarist and would have lessons in different cities/towns when they were on tour.

Rodrigo from the due Rodrigo y Gabriela also used to be in a metal band (not sure about Gabriela) and now they play on nylon strings although they are more of a crossover thing with Spanish/flamenco overtones I think. I’m sure a lot of you know this already.

Actually, I wonder if any professional players came from, or, have an interest in metal? I’d find it funny to find out if, say, John Williams used to listen to metal for instance. I doubt it in his case. But certainly he has expressed opinions on how CG players shouldn’t be held back from playing other styles such as strumming in an Irish band, or, playing in a crossover rock band…oh hang on a minute, he did that didn’t he ;-)
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Return to “Composers' Workshop”