Conventions for Fingering placement?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
mrvegas

Conventions for Fingering placement?

Post by mrvegas » Thu May 28, 2015 2:27 am

I was wondering if there are any actual rules or strong preferences about where to place left-hand fingerings in a score. From what I can tell, it seems to vary depending on the arranger\composer\publisher. Some seem to prefer putting them to the left of a note wherever possible, some always above, some in the most convenient place.

I guess the main goal is to get the fingerings in a manner such that they can be read without over-cluttering the score, but if there are any actual rules or guidelines on this, I'd be curious to know.
Life is too short to be perfectly in tune.

tomv

Re: Conventions for Fingering placement?

Post by tomv » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:46 am

It depends on the composer and publisher. They seem to pop them in where they can fit them and be easily seen, although some do get scrunched up in some measures.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”