Joplin, Scott; The Entertainer - Video

Audio and video recordings of romantic and modern music (1850-1940, e.g. Albéniz, Barrios, Coste, Mertz, Llobet).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename; op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Granados, Enrique; op.37/05 Andaluza - D09 Video
or Ságreras, J. S.; op.19 Maria Luisa - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Ságreras, J. S.; 1/49 Lesson (One digit for lesson-book / two digits for lesson.)
or Anon.; Samba Lele - D03 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members having made 2 posts and joined the 002 group.

Joplin, Scott; The Entertainer - Video

Postby vinhngo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi guys! This is some scrappy music I played after feeling bored of weeks practising Bach's music. This is the arrangement of Paul Palmer, much tougher than K.Minami's arrangement. Please forgive me for some buzzes there. It's never a good idea to play in a room under 10 degrees C.

Youtube

I really appreciate all feedback from you guys. I've been playing for only 2 years and there's a great deal to improve.

You can also check out my video of Canon in D http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=61765

Thanks a lot :merci:
Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart.

-Andres Segovia-

Check out my youtube channel for more performances: http://www.youtube.com/user/ffgghhj77
vinhngo

Re: Joplin,Scott; The Entertainer - Video

Postby Jeremiah Lawson » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:16 am

Nice arrangement and pretty solid interpretation.

I would suggest that you actually take the piece about 25% slower. Joplin famously complained that way too many people played his music far too fast. A lot of pianists and guitarists go for a quarter note in the range of 120-140 beats per minute and the tempo where the syncopations can be most fully felt and accentuated is more in the 90-100 bpm range and depending on the piece even slower than that. Think moderato more than allegro for the tempo and the piece will not only be easier to play but it will be closer to Joplin's preferred tempo. Other than easing back on the tempo a bit things sound pretty good to me. Thanks for posting the video.
Jeremiah Lawson

Postby wianno » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:37 pm

Very nice, as is your performance of the Canon in D.

Jack
nulla nisi ardua virtus ... Ovid
wianno

Postby oski79 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:25 am

Wow, that's certainly a lot more than I could handle after playing two years!

I agree with Wenatchee, although I don't know about 25% slower--that might be a bit much. I played a lot of Joplin on the piano years and years ago, and I agree--it always sounded better played a bit slower. But regardless, you played a technically pretty demanding piece really quite well.

Congrats!
But the Silver Tongued Devil's got nothing to lose, I'll only live til I die
We take our own chances, pay our own dues...
The Silver Tongued Devil and I...
oski79

Re: Joplin, Scott; The Entertainer - Video

Postby vinhngo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:22 am

I guess it's a matter of preference too. If you're in a happy mood then this song can be played waaaay up tempo :casque: . Meanwhile a relaxing tempo is easier to play and may sounds better.

This one is still slower than John Williams' version though. Surprisingly I find this piece easier to play on a steel string acoustic guitar, especially for the ending. It also produces some kind of ragtime air that can not be created on CG.

:merci:
Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart.

-Andres Segovia-

Check out my youtube channel for more performances: http://www.youtube.com/user/ffgghhj77
vinhngo

Postby SteveM » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:49 pm

Very well played. I like the tempo - I've heard it played much faster!
Steve
SteveM

Postby lucy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:05 pm

:bravo: Very enjoyable performance.
It was mostly cleanly played and what a great sense of rhythm you have! :casque:
I like your tempo too, although I am also aware that Joplin had intended it to be played slower.
lucy

Postby KeMe » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:19 am

I love it!
I haven't heard this piece in a really long time. Thank you for giving us this opportunity to enjoy your performance.
:merci:

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.
KeMe

Postby Praeludium » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:27 am

Very clean perfomance !

Are playing for your entertainment only ?
Cette dernière trahison m'a été également reprochée. Ce que je trouve à répondre, c'est:"merde aux conventions!"

- Ligeti
Praeludium

Postby chiral3 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:59 pm

:bravo: Great job. You mentioned the occasional buzzes but I thought you kept it real clean. Congrats, esp after two years. Looks like your Bach down time was well spent.
chiral3

Postby JohnnyPlsk » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Really nice performance! Tempo seems faster than usual, but I like it! Unlike many others, this sounded very clean. Thanks for sharing!
JohnnyPlsk

Postby de la seth » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:51 am

Nice! Do you have any other performances of Scott Joplin pieces recorded?
de la seth

Postby vinhngo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:20 pm

Unfortunately no. I'm focusing on finishing of some contemporary pieces such as "A felicidade" be Dyens and "Sunburst" by Andrew York. None of them can be posted here but you can check them out on my youtube channel when I upload.

No offense to ragtime lovers but I prefer something a bit more suitable for CG. Most ragtime pieces sound better on steel string guitar.

-Andres Segovia-

vinhngo

Postby kurt guitar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:21 am

oski79 wrote:Wow, that's certainly a lot more than I could handle after playing two years!

I agree with Wenatchee, although I don't know about 25% slower--that might be a bit much. I played a lot of Joplin on the piano years and years ago, and I agree--it always sounded better played a bit slower. But regardless, you played a technically pretty demanding piece really quite well.

Congrats!

I agree with the hatchet and oski79. In fact i have the original piano score (reprint) of Joplin's the Entertainer. The tempo reads "not too fast." IF this interpretation was slowed down a bit, then indeed it would be 100% clean, and to the liking of Joplin himself.
kurt guitar

Postby ScottD » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:19 am

Very well done. It's amazing you're able to play like this after only 2 years.
ScottD

Return to Our recordings of Romantic and Modern music