Arcas, Julian; Solea - Video

Audio and video recordings of romantic and modern music (1850-1940, e.g. Albéniz, Barrios, Coste, Mertz, Llobet).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename; op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Granados, Enrique; op.37/05 Andaluza - D09 Video
or Ságreras, J. S.; op.19 Maria Luisa - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Ságreras, J. S.; 1/49 Lesson (One digit for lesson-book / two digits for lesson.)
or Anon.; Samba Lele - D03 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members having made 2 posts and joined the 002 group.

Arcas, Julian; Solea - Video

Postby dinga » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:20 pm

Youtube

Another beautiful piece from Arcas. There are some mistakes.
I could not find this piece from any major recording from leading guitarists. Hope that it is played more.
dinga

Re: Arcas, Julian; Solea - Video

Postby Julio » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:44 pm

I dont think it has ever been recorded. There is much 19th century guitar music that has been kept shadowed for far too long. thanks for bringing this piece to the light! I agree 100 percent, i too hope it is played more.
To Live and Die in LA
Julio

Postby Linda » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:53 pm

Very beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

linea
linea
Linda

Postby tateharmann » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:30 pm

Dinga,
I love this piece...great job! I found a really cool Spanish doc online called "El guitarrista Julian Arcas y el flamenco"...it talks about why he was so influential on Andalusian culture and flamenco music. It also includes a biography and little pieces of information about many of his pieces. Here is what it says regarding this piece, Solea (this is my translation into English so it may not be 100%):

Another very important piece of Arcas' repertoire that got incorporated into the Sevilla Concerts in the spring of 1867 is the Solea, which, according to the chronicler "La Andalucia" was one of the most sweet and melancholic of our popular songs.

The document says a lot more about it like how it would work into a flamenco concert program easily even though it's not as "perfectly" composed and finished as Arcas' Rondeña.

I would love to tackle this one but the length of the piece turns me off...I fear I don't have the attention span to tackle 6 1/2 minutes of flamenco goodness. You play it well though...and it's true like you say it's a shame more guitarists don't play it. I'm checking out Arcas' boleras right now too. It looks like it has some cool rasqueados in it.

Keep up the good work!

Tate
"One must make of one's fingers well drilled soldiers."
tateharmann

Return to Our recordings of Romantic and Modern music