Compendium of Forum Knowledge

alaudacorax

Re: Compendium of Forum Knowledge

Post by alaudacorax » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:13 pm

Ah! I see, now. Many thanks, Geoff.

PatD

Post by PatD » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:06 am

I have subscribed to the 002 users group, but it seems that I do not have permission to access much of the content available to that group. Not sure if I need moderator help, or what....?

PatD

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Hi Pat, can you give us an example of something you ought to be able to access but can't?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Tom Hewitt

Post by Tom Hewitt » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:04 am

Fantastic, this post is exactly what I have been needing.

yamex5

Post by yamex5 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:29 am

Hello,

I hope this isn't covered somewhere else, and I doubt that anyone here is a copyright lawyer, but I have a question regarding transcriptions.
What is the legal status of me taking a keyboard piece by Bach (which I've taken from an edition I've bought) and transcribing it for guitar?
Honestly, most of the transcribing is just moving the parts from the bass clef onto the treble clef. There are some minor omissions and octave transpositions where necessary, and fingering suggestions.
Do I email the publisher for permission?

Thanks ahead for any advice!

-Mike

Denis Paradis

Post by Denis Paradis » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:22 am

yamex5 wrote:Hello,

I hope this isn't covered somewhere else, and I doubt that anyone here is a copyright lawyer, but I have a question regarding transcriptions.
What is the legal status of me taking a keyboard piece by Bach (which I've taken from an edition I've bought) and transcribing it for guitar?
Honestly, most of the transcribing is just moving the parts from the bass clef onto the treble clef. There are some minor omissions and octave transpositions where necessary, and fingering suggestions.
Do I email the publisher for permission?

Thanks ahead for any advice!

-Mike
Although I am not a moderator here I think your answer can be found here in the first paragraph:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1550&p=11236#p11236

Bach's work being in the public domain, you can publish your own transcription freely.

Denis
“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”

- Rachmaninov

pellkartoffel

Post by pellkartoffel » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:41 am

Bach's work is public domain but i think this case may be complicated by the fact that you are working off somebody else's arrangement. If a transcription of an existing work is original enough, the arrangement becomes copyrightable in its own right. So transcribing Bach's original scores is unproblematic, but what about working off an arrangement still under copyright? Of course you are also creating something that is potentially copyrightable. Maybe it is similar to a remix which I think is permissible in certain circumstances. Interesting question anyway, I hope someone can answer it.

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:33 am

Hi Mike

Ok, first a caveat: just 'cause I'm a mod here doesn't bestow an special knowledge of copyright law so this is just my opinion. However, as adhering to copyright law is taken very seriously here at Delcamp, the topic is much discussed among the mods although none of us is an expert.

Because Bach is in the Public Domain (PD), you can use his works in any which way you want. However, as soon as someone else comes along and uses a work as the basis of, say, a new arrangement that is now a "new" copyrighted work and is not in the PD. It is as if the work had nothing to do with Bach and is considered a completely new work with all the rights attendant.

So, I guess you already know the answer to your question. What you want to do is transcribe a copyrighted piece by a living author/publisher and for that you need permission.

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

Denis Paradis

Post by Denis Paradis » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:00 pm

Hans W wrote:Hi Mike

Ok, first a caveat: just 'cause I'm a mod here doesn't bestow an special knowledge of copyright law so this is just my opinion. However, as adhering to copyright law is taken very seriously here at Delcamp, the topic is much discussed among the mods although none of us is an expert.

Because Bach is in the Public Domain (PD), you can use his works in any which way you want. However, as soon as someone else comes along and uses a work as the basis of, say, a new arrangement that is now a "new" copyrighted work and is not in the PD. It is as if the work had nothing to do with Bach and is considered a completely new work with all the rights attendant.

So, I guess you already know the answer to your question. What you want to do is transcribe a copyrighted piece by a living author/publisher and for that you need permission.

Hans
Errr... Hans, as stated above I am no moderator I'm sorry if you have discussed the topic and came to your conclusion...

But I disagree... Mike took an existing PIANO partition from an existing publisher... But made Original work from it transcribing it for Guitar...

So it then becomes HIS work which he can freely distribute if he so chooses... Of course my reasoning would not stand for music that is not yet in the public domain, lets say a Phillip Glass composition for example... But its Bach here?

Again sorry if I'm wrong, I'll stand corrected if so :)

Denis
“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”

- Rachmaninov

yamex5

Post by yamex5 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Hi everyone,

Let me be more specific, as I should have been from the start.
The edition I am working from is:
"The Well-Tempered Clavier" Books I and II. complete, Copyright (c) 1983 by Dover Publications.
On the first page it says that:
"... The present volume includes corrections, tempo indications and an explanation of the ornaments prepared specially by Professor Saul Novack of Queens University."
I don't intend to use the tempo indications or include an explanation of the ornaments, but without a copy of the original Bach-Gesellshcaft, I will need to include any corrections in this edition.

At this point, I think it is best that I contact Dover, as I don't want myself or the Delcamp site to get into any potential legal skirmishes.

Ha ha, I just had a thought and searched for the Bach-Gesellschaft scores online, and found them.
I will work off of those, case closed!

Thanks to everyone that offered advice!

-Mike

Bododio

Post by Bododio » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Perhaps I've missed it somehow, which is always a possibility with me :( , but is there a setting so that when I click on a link it pops up in a separate window :?: Other forums I frequent have the separate window feature, however I haven't found it yet in this forum. Any help is greatly appreciated!! :applauso:
2012 Cordoba C10 (CD), D'Addario EJ45
2015 Pavan TP-30 (SP), D'Addario EJ45

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:25 pm

No, there isn't such a feature (or if there is I'm unaware of it!) You may be able to achieve it with a browser setting or key combination. For instance, using Firefox, if you hold down the Ctrl key when clicking on a link, it opens in a new tab (or window, depending on your settings). Right-clicking on a link also gives you those options.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Bododio

Post by Bododio » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:47 pm

GeoffB wrote:No, there isn't such a feature (or if there is I'm unaware of it!) You may be able to achieve it with a browser setting or key combination. For instance, using Firefox, if you hold down the Ctrl key when clicking on a link, it opens in a new tab (or window, depending on your settings). Right-clicking on a link also gives you those options.

Geoff
Thanks, Geoff. I have an iMac, and therefore Safari (although I do have Firefox for a couple of web sites not compatible with Safari). Upon a bit of experimentation I have discovered that if I do a Command-Click (hold down the Command key while clicking on the link), the link opens in a new tab, however the tab doesn't automatically pop to the top. I have to then click on the new tab to see the link. And if I do a Control-Click on the link, a menu pops up, the top two selections being to open the link in a new window, and open the link in a new tab. When selecting to open the link in a new window, the new window automatically pops to the top, while open in a new tab functions as described above.

Learn something new every day!! :!: Hopefully learning to play guitar soon!! :guitare:

kjetilkongro

Post by kjetilkongro » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:44 pm

thank, that was helpfull :)

Bododio

Post by Bododio » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:38 pm

I've noticed that the Subscribe Topic option has disappeared at the bottom of the pages, and the topics I'm subscribed to no longer notify me via email of new replies. What am I missing?

Return to “Forum Help Guides”