Paco Castillo Guitars

Re: Paco Castillo Guitars

Postby tuk » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:54 pm

does anyone know if the PC 204 sides are laminate or solid rosewood
"To make the figure more understandable, IBM said Sequoia was capable of calculating in one hour what otherwise would have taken 6.7 billion people using hand calculators 320 years to complete if they had worked non-stop."
tuk

Postby camytay » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:55 am

From what I've read on the web and told by the shop, the 204 is solid top but laminate sides.
Only the 205 is full solid (costs 2x the 204 though!).
camytay

Postby Amin Kawas » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:04 am

camytay wrote:I've just taken the plunge and bought the PC 204.
Can't comment much on the sound as I' only a beginner but the quality is very similar to the A 5P.
The shop said that the 204 is closer to the 6P then 5P.
Anyway, I'll bring it down next week for my instructor to test it out.
Will update then.

Hi Camytay
Congratulations :D
I know it is a decent brand, I'm so interested to know more about your satisfaction, and your instructor's estimation.
wish you enjoyable and steady progress in playing :casque:
Amin Kawas

Postby camytay » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi! Just thought that I'll update on the PC 204 after my lesson tonight.
My instructor was amazed by the very high quality of the finishing given the price.
He was then shocked by huge sound and sound quality of the guitar.
He kept going "wow!" as he played different pieces. He compared it to his US custom made all wood guitar costing USD 4k and kept saying the PC sounded grander. He couldn't believe that its a laminate. When I asked him how it compares to the A and he said that it should be close to the 8P or 9P. He then coJmmented that the PC is a concert level guitar and not needing mic pickup.
Overall he's very impressed with the PC.
Hope this helps!
camytay

Postby John D » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:01 pm

The 204 is a fantastic guitar with a huge sound. Really pleased that the Paco Castillo is getting good reviews, especially as I am one on the UK's stockists!! They really do make great value guitars with a sound and tone that is far above what could be expected for the price. I am now using a 205 spruce as my back up guitar.
John D

Postby el_guitarrero » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi,

do you know how much the model 205 and the 204 differ in terms of sound? I played once both in a shop, and they were very close sound wise, the model 204 even with more bass power and good trebles. But maybe it was just luck ad i got an outstanding guitar from the lot.... Since the shop only carried only one of each model i had no chance to see if this was just coincidence or not.... So any ideas :?:

And what do you think (maybe in comparison) of the Alhambra Linea professional guitars? Are they much better?

Regards
Michael
el_guitarrero

Postby jnb » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:34 pm

All of which is about their higher price models. What are people's opinions of the budget end of their range? I'm considering a new guitar but can't really justify more than say £300 which would get me a 202. I might be able to get up to a 203 if I hang on for a while but that's dubious (ie I doubt I could persuade the Mrs that I play well enough to justify spending that much on another guitar)
jnb

Postby simonm » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:06 am

jnb wrote:... I doubt I could persuade the Mrs that I play well enough to justify spending that much on another guitar ...

Sell whatever guitar(s) you have to make up the difference. Even better if you have two to sell. You get in the good books for tidying up. :mrgreen:
simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby Montgomery » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:58 am

A friend of mine recently purchased the 205 and I have to tell you I was amazed at the quality and sound for the price. If I was looking to purchase a guitar in this price range I would definitely consider this one. I would love to check out some of their more expensive instruments.
Montgomery

Postby Amin Kawas » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:22 am

Montgomery wrote:I would love to check out some of their more expensive instruments.

I thought the highest Model is the 205 :?:
Amin Kawas

Postby Juan Bta. Gimeno » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:45 am

Yes, 205 is their top "production line" model but they can build any guitar you wish.
I know them quite well and I am pretty sure that if you want a 5000€ guitar they can build it to your entire satisfaction.
Juan Bta. Gimeno

Postby Jacek A. Rochacki » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:50 am

I wonder what is the difference between PC 204 and 240 models ? I did not find many information on the last one. I will be grateful for enlightenment.
EDIT: I just learned that 204 has laminated sides and back, and the 240 is all solid wood. In this situation I am curious, what are the differences between models 205 and 240 - both made of all solid wood. Thank you.
Stanislaw Partyka, 2009, rebuilt 2013, cedar/palisander
Artesano No. 30,1985, Fabricada en Espana, Valencia, Juan Orozco Revisada
Jacek A. Rochacki

Postby tuk » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:57 pm

Jacek A. R. wrote:EDIT: I just learned that 204 has laminated sides and back, and the 240 is all solid wood.

are you sure? ..accord. to the makers only the 205 has solid B&S
"To make the figure more understandable, IBM said Sequoia was capable of calculating in one hour what otherwise would have taken 6.7 billion people using hand calculators 320 years to complete if they had worked non-stop."
tuk

Postby Jacek A. Rochacki » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:54 pm

Well, at pages of the Paco Castillo manufacturer, at description of the 240 model
http://guitarraspacocastillo.com/en/cat ... s/240.html
let's scroll down to document in .pdf titled: product file
http://guitarraspacocastillo.com/media/ ... df/240.pdf
and we read there:
Top: Solid Canadian red cedar
Back and sides: Solid Indian Rosewood

I am perseveringly gathering all possible information on Paco Castillo guitars as most probably I will be interested in acquiring one of them. Thanks to kindness of friendly and most helpful Knowledgeable Person (thank you again, Juan) I learned in the meantime, that differences between 205 and 240 boil down (between other details) to time of seasoning wood - shortly - quality of wood. The 205 seems to be the best. And I also emailed the Paco Castillo manufacturer with enquiry on kind of lamination that they use for manufacturing models like 204 and similar. I did it inspired by discussions here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=68950
and here
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=62273
Stanislaw Partyka, 2009, rebuilt 2013, cedar/palisander
Artesano No. 30,1985, Fabricada en Espana, Valencia, Juan Orozco Revisada
Jacek A. Rochacki

Postby tuk » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:20 pm

yeah their site is not the best ..on the main page it implies the 240 B&S is laminated but the pdf says solid ...I would send them an email for clarification ..also the tuners might be different on the 205 ..& the 205 has one extra fret

of the recordings I'v heard ..the 204 and even the 203 might sound better and more balanced than the 205 ...I wouldn't assume the most expensive is necessarily the best ..it's also been said the 205 is harder to play
tuk

PreviousNext

Return to Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar