Paco Castillo Guitars

Re: Paco Castillo Guitars

Postby tuk » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:43 pm

Macleod410 wrote:
Youtube
"To make the figure more understandable, IBM said Sequoia was capable of calculating in one hour what otherwise would have taken 6.7 billion people using hand calculators 320 years to complete if they had worked non-stop."
tuk

Postby chelson » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:58 am

Since I heard about Paco Castillo, I was indeed fall in love with the 205 by all her pictures and was desperate to hear her voice. However, not after more than a year, finally managed to arrange with the local dealer (one and only person), I tried the Paco Castillo 205 cedar top.

Based on current Spanish pricing (not my local pricing, which I think its considered a bit mark up), thought its finishing, its quality, its material, etc. etc. are definitely worth the stated price. Truly and exactly same as the pictures and catalog from the internet, very beautiful guitar.

Sound wise, (the most subjective part just like wine tasting), she has a very balance tone, loudness and good projection with more towards the bass. It's not an attractive type. I'm not too sure is this the substance that differential between "factory-made/mass-made" guitar and a luthier made guitar. Or, maybe how a guitar is being qualified by its price tag. I really can't register a character like what I can hear samples from a GV Rubio, to the Hanika, or even the Alhambra 11P that I've played from another shop. In my very personal opinion, it just sound so normal. :D
chelson

Postby Jacek A. Rochacki » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Since my last post in this thread I had a chance of trying other then I was offered on the end of August 2012 the Paco Castillo 205 guitars. And they sounded so well, also in the treble department. Perhaps it would be interesting to try the PC 205 with another set of strings ? and, maybe, the "normal" sound is somehow in the character of "Spanish" sound, so wisely described by @lagartija as "muddy"
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74118
at the Kent Guitars we read:
"…The overall character is Spanish and reminiscent of some of the better Madrid guitars or even the cedar tones of some Fletas…."
Stanislaw Partyka, 2009, rebuilt 2013, cedar/palisander
Artesano No. 30,1985, Fabricada en Espana, Valencia, Juan Orozco Revisada
Jacek A. Rochacki

Postby chelson » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:36 pm

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:Since my last post in this thread I had a chance of trying other then I was offered on the end of August 2012 the Paco Castillo 205 guitars. And they sounded so well, also in the treble department. Perhaps it would be interesting to try the PC 205 with another set of strings ? and, maybe, the "normal" sound is somehow in the character of "Spanish" sound, so wisely described by @lagartija as "muddy"
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74118
at the Kent Guitars we read:
"…The overall character is Spanish and reminiscent of some of the better Madrid guitars or even the cedar tones of some Fletas…."

I agreed.

Nonetheless, it's a brand new unsold guitar, can't change the strings just like that. Unless the "shop" willing to take the cost. Hahaha!
chelson

Postby bernie2 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:29 am

You surely are entitled to ask people in the shop to put new strings in order to hear what the guitar really sounds like...If they are "black" as you said, from dirt or from rust, they should be changed anyhow...For a 800ÂŁ or more, that's the least they can do. And if there is a scratch on top of that, you are entitled to ask for a significantly lower price too...
With new strings the sound will be more lively and have more crisp.
Maybe the top of this other PC you've tried was made of spruce too - it has a brighter tone than cedar..
bernie2

Postby hnt » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:43 pm

Juan Bta. Gimeno wrote:I know Paco castillo guitars, in other thread I suggested someone to check on them before buying an Alhambra.
The reason is simple, a couple of years a go most of the guitar manufacturing was diverted to China but sold as they were done by alhambra in valencia, the manufacturing team didn't liked that so they parted and founded Paco Castillo.

I wonder where you get this information.

On the Paco Castillo website, they say very clearly:
"Jaime Julia Abad has lead the Manufacturas Alhambra S.L. Guitar Company since 1973 until May 2009. When he joined the Company originally it was the worst guitar company in the whole of Spain with very bad financial problems and producing very poor quality guitars. Over 36 years of very hard work and total dedication he managed to convert Alhambra into Europe’s leading classical guitar manufacturer.
In the last year of his management the Company realized its best financial resultsever both in invoices raised, sales and profit. However, personal disagreements with other Board Members precipitated his dismissal and other family members who also worked in the factory."

They do not say that Mr. Jaime Julia left Alhambra because "most of the guitar manufacturing was diverted to China but sold as they were done by alhambra in valencia"!!! They only say that "However, personal disagreements with other Board Members precipitated his dismissal and other family members who also worked in the factory."

When saying something bad about somebody, please be careful and always have enough evidences to prove.
hnt

Postby chelson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:00 pm

Just wonder what are the "disagreements" on.
chelson

Postby Justfun » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:38 pm

Anybody owns one of these guitar? any more feedback?

fred
Fred
Justfun

Postby Jacek A. Rochacki » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:01 pm

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=67808
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=67977&p=812968&hilit=paco+castillo+204#p812968
Quotation from one of the posts (by simonm):
…No one here has said a single bad word about this brand so far. ...

As I wrote some time ago I was not fortunate to buy PC 205, but since then I played some PC 204 and 205. I absolutely agree with opinion/description by Mr. Miles from Kent Guitars. Recently the Delcamp forum member Mr. Stefan Srećković has acquired the PC 205 cedar, and I believe that soon he will post his impressions.
Jacek A. Rochacki

Postby Justfun » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:21 pm

Great thanks Jacek..

fred
Fred
Justfun

Postby Jacek A. Rochacki » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:39 pm

- my pleasure, Fred…if the budget is between USD 1000 and below 2000 then I belong to these who would take the Paco Castillo guitars under most serious consideration. Some people bought it in Portugal and/or Spain for ca 800-900 Euro, in my country the PC 205 is expensive, it costs today almost $ 2000. The problem may be, that as I read you are based in the US, and it might be a problem and additional costs to get the PC to USA. Still I stay with hope that just for the good of us - classical guitars aficionados all over the world one of US dealers of reputation will consider to represent the Paco Castillo instruments in your great country.
Jacek A. Rochacki

Postby Mr.Bi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:54 am

To give a fair judgement, I own a Paco Castillo 205, Spruce top, 2013:
UPS:
- Powerful, deep bass
- Good volume and projection
- It's getting sweeter
- Comfortable neck
- Luxurious look
- High-grade materials, straight and even grains

DOWNS:
- Quite heavy (around 1.8 kg)
- Treble could be better with more overtones on high registers (Still good)
- One dead note on my guitar
- Thick finish on top
- The metal frets are too flat, making it harder to avoid buzz.

Verdict:
Bang for the buck if you can buy it at less than 800 eur :wink:
Aria M20 by Ryoji Matsuoka, c.a. 1960s-1970s
Paco Castillo 205 Spruce, 2013
Mr.Bi

Postby Jacek A. Rochacki » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:57 pm

- with regard to:
- Treble could be better with more overtones on high registers...

I wonder which strings do you use ?
Jacek A. Rochacki

Postby Justfun » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:25 pm

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:- my pleasure, Fred…if the budget is between USD 1000 and below 2000 then I belong to these who would take the Paco Castillo guitars under most serious consideration. Some people bought it in Portugal and/or Spain for ca 800-900 Euro, in my country the PC 205 is expensive, it costs today almost $ 2000. The problem may be, that as I read you are based in the US, and it might be a problem and additional costs to get the PC to USA. Still I stay with hope that just for the good of us - classical guitars aficionados all over the world one of US dealers of reputation will consider to represent the Paco Castillo instruments in your great country.

Hi,

I'm willing to pay 200 or maybe 250 for shipping with insurance as long as I get in A conditions...
Yes, I hope someone here in the US is able to represent these guitars :casque:

fred
Fred
Justfun

Postby Mr.Bi » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:46 pm

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:- with regard to:
- Treble could be better with more overtones on high registers...

I wonder which strings do you use ?

I use the original strings, some hard tension Savarez.
Aria M20 by Ryoji Matsuoka, c.a. 1960s-1970s
Paco Castillo 205 Spruce, 2013
Mr.Bi

PreviousNext

Return to Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar