Alhambra, Hernandez, Burguet & Paco Castillo

Alhambra, Hernandez, Burguet & Paco Castillo

Postby tuk » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:44 pm

After many twists and turns I have something of a short-list, would need to travel to another country to try all/any of these guitars so would like some opinions ...maybe it would be more interesting to put them in order of preference ...so as not to be distracted by individual pricing lets just say the range of this selection is: ( £780/Eu945/$1238 ) - ( £1027/Eu1245/$1630 ) ..feel free to add other similarly priced guitars you feel can compete with those below

Alhambra 9P
---------------
TOP: Cedar/Spruce.
Back & Sides: Solid Indian Rosewood.
Neck: Spanish Cedar.
FingerBoard: Ebony.
Finish:

Alhambra 10P
----------------
Finish:

Juan Hernandez Estudio
----------------------------
Back & Sides: Solid Mongoy(Ovankol).
Neck: Mahogany.
FingerBoard: Rosewood.
Finish: Gloss, Lacquer Finish.

Juan Hernandez Professor
------------------------------
Neck: Mahogany.

Burguet 2m
--------------
Neck:Cedar.

Burguet Noguera
--------------------
Back & Sides: Solid Spanish Walnut
Neck: Cedar.

Paco Castillo 205
---------------------

J90 SANCHIS
---------------------
"To make the figure more understandable, IBM said Sequoia was capable of calculating in one hour what otherwise would have taken 6.7 billion people using hand calculators 320 years to complete if they had worked non-stop."
tuk

Re: Alhambra, Hernandez, Burguet & Paco Castillo

Postby irfan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:09 am

I go through one by one, hopefully did not make you sleep. (from my personal view)

Most of my teenager student using alhambra, expecially those kid with limit burget, like Singapore dollar sgd 900, i would advise them to get 4p...
Of course some time few of them will spend till sgd nearly 3k for a alhambra 10p, fro my view is not worth it.. Of course the sound is loud, but the tone are are similar with other model...

Juan Hernandez Estudio, i advise my student buy this now a days, if they have a burget about sgd1800.
Compare with other brand of this price, this model have a lot of over tone, woody tone.
The down side is some of the neck is not straigh, need to try first before you buy.

Juan Hernandez Professor, i just tried this last week. Price about sgd2500. Very good.. Sound sweet, and good tone, the first string tone is similar like the paulino bernabe model 30 selling for sgd10k.
Compare with the same price other model like ramirez student model...
The model professor maybe is not the one most easy to play(left hand). But i think for the sound, tone, this one the best i can find so far.. I love this one very much, long sustain, great tone, balance sound.

Burguet 2m,
From my humble view, amalio burguet is one of most beutiful look guitar from valencia(mid price).
2m, selling here around same price with the hanandez profesor...
Compare with this model, i can only say only the look is better than profesor..
Sound not loud enough, not enough over tone( compare with professor, still 50/50 compare with alhambra).

Burguet Noguera,
This one better than 2m in general, louder, more over tone, the only complain is not a rosewood guitar..
So sound a bit dry for my ear.. Like a crossover between classical and flamenco guitar.
Maybe a bit louder than proffesor, because it was ten yeats ago i triad burguet guitar.

Paco Castillo 205,
Never try bofore, no comment.

SANCHIS, also triad this ten years ago, not familiar with thier mid price, but familiar with thier low price model.
Some of the model, cheaper one is using plastic nut and bridge.
But i hear good comment of thier torres model about sgd 1.8K last time..
General speaking, for low price model, really not good finish(compare with amalio burguet).sound also softer than alhambra, but good tone.

Hope this will help.
Ps, only juan henandez sound like hand make guitar to me, the rest one, mostly sound like valencia factory guitar, expecially alhambra.
Last edited by irfan on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
irfan

Postby guitarseller345645 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:05 am

irfan wrote:I go through one by one, hopefully did not make u sleep. (from my personal view)

Hi

Slightly off topic.

Do you know who carries Ramirez guitars in SG? Have you tried the Bernabe Estudio or the Bernabe Antonio Lopez? Thanks.
guitarseller345645

Postby irfan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:17 am

guitarseller345645 wrote:
irfan wrote:I go through one by one, hopefully did not make u sleep. (from my personal view)

Hi

Slightly off topic.

Do you know who carries Ramirez guitars in SG? Have you tried the Bernabe Estudio or the Bernabe Antonio Lopez? Thanks.

Its ok, i do know who selling ramirez in sg, it s the same person who organize guitar festival in sg.
But i didn't find the bernabe estudio, few of my kl friend using this model. Great tone, but i think the juan hanandez proffesor win this model estudio a lot.
Also i own before bernabe m10 spruce top ten years ago, very good tone. I believe it us make by bernabe student.
But also didn't find m10 in the shop, but i found m30 cedar. Good tone guitar, only complain is the 4th string a bit weak.
irfan

Postby guitarseller345645 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:25 am

Irfan,

He lives/works on the other side of the island so I rarely go down.

Does he carry all the Ramirez models? I currently have an interest in the NE line.

His site still shows the Bernabe Estudio and Antonio Lopez - pity you did not try them. Anyway the Estudio will be achieving collector's item status (soon) I heard.
guitarseller345645

Postby irfan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:50 am

guitarseller345645 wrote:Irfan,

Does he carry all the Ramirez models? I currently have an interest in the NE line.

His site still shows the Bernabe Estudio and Antonio Lopez - pity you did not try them. Anyway the Estudio will be achieving collector's item status (soon) I heard.

I know him more than ten years, just don't contact him when he was busy in guitarfest.
He can be very very friendly if you find him whem he free.
And i believe his shop is the only shop you can try all the high end guitar in south east asia.
From ramirez, p.bernabe, sakurai to Matthias Dammann... Also some austria lattice bracing guitar, pual fisher..at The same place..

Unlike malysia kl, one shop is selling ramirez, another shop is selling other brand. You can not compare the sound because different place..
Last edited by irfan on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
irfan

Postby tuk » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:51 am

Thanks for the long reply Irfan, that is a big help.
"To make the figure more understandable, IBM said Sequoia was capable of calculating in one hour what otherwise would have taken 6.7 billion people using hand calculators 320 years to complete if they had worked non-stop."
tuk

Postby Tom » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:59 pm

irfan wrote:

I know him more than ten years, just don't contact him when he was busy in guitarfest.
And i believe his shop is the only shop you can try all the high end guitar in south east asia.
From ramirez, p.bernabe, sakurai to Matthias Dammann... Also some austria lattice bracing guitar, pual fisher..at The same place..

Unlike malysia kl, one shop is selling ramirez, another shop is selling other brand. You can not compare the sound because different place..

That is n interesting information... I see Thomas almost once every quarter and I am not aware he carries any Dammann. You sure he got Dammann?

Thank you!
Tom

Postby irfan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:37 pm

Tom wrote:
irfan wrote:

That is n interesting information... I see Thomas almost once every quarter and I am not aware he carries any Dammann. You sure he got Dammann?

Thank you!

I just had tea with him last week.. Bought some book from him.
You need to call, he don't show the dammann to anyone.. Not in the shop.
irfan

Postby John D » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Try the Paco Castillo 205. Gapguitars.com have both the cedar and spruce in stock and they are very nice instruments. Other threads have discussed the merits of these instruments. Played alongside a Juan Hernandez Concierto they actually compare very well and considering the difference in price this says alot! For under £1000 they are hard to beat.
John D

Postby Peter_Mortelmans » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:30 am

I played a Burguet (among others) last week, before buying an Alhambra. I kind of agree with what Irfan said about it. I only played alhambra 8p and 9p, but I can't believe they sound no better than a 4p. I also played a ramirez 2NE in that shop, which I could describe as a little bit more refined than the alhambras, but perhaps therefore also less "full". the 9p is certainly the loudest, but sounds at its best at normal playing levels, and can be played as silent as any other guitar, when needed. the 9p is generally described in other fora and reviews as a great guitar for romantic and spanish music.
I am just a beginner, but I hope this advise helps.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
alhambra 9P classical guitar
Yamaha FG720S steel string acoustic guitar
Epiphone 1960 tribute Les Paul with cube X30 amp
Peter_Mortelmans

Return to Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar