concert guitars between $5000-7000?

concert guitars between $5000-7000?

Postby Richard Lawrence » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:29 pm

I only have 1 classical guitar that I have had for 12 years. I love that guitar and will always keep it but the playability is not where I want it. it seems the action is a little high and I have to work at getting things to sound good. The 1st string e also does not have a "singing" tone that I want. The guitar I have is pretty much designed after a Ramirez and the guitar I had before that WAS a Ramirez. It seems with the design the basses have a tendency to overpower the trebles easy. I want something different than the Ramirez design. I am not sure whether to try a lattice braced guitar or not. I am still doing research on this. It seems the guitar I have is one step below a concert instrument. I have gotten to the point where I need a concert instrument that can let me express myself fully. Thank you for any suggestions. Rick
Last edited by Richard Lawrence on Tue May 01, 2012 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Royal Anderson(USA)
Richard Lawrence
Student of the online lessons

Re: concert guitars between $3000-5000?

Postby gitgeezer » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:14 pm

Hello again, Richard. You and I have exchanged messages before on your Royal Anderson guitar. I know you are attached to it, but may I suggest that the reasons you give for being dissatisfied with it are sufficient reasons to end your attachment and move on. If you are still looking for a 640-scale guitar, you might mention that as one of your requirements. But because of the uncertainty of your other requirements, it will be difficult for anyone to advise you at this point. Nevertheless, two suggestions you are sure to get are: (1) sample as many guitars as you can, and (2) consider a used luthier guitar.
gitgeezer

Postby James Lister » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:36 pm

gitgeezer wrote: Nevertheless, two suggestions you are sure to get are: (1) sample as many guitars as you can, and (2) consider a used luthier guitar.

Good advice in general. With a budget of up to $5000 there should be more than a few new luthier guitars in your range as well.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK
James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby Richard Lawrence » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:37 am

Thank you for the sound advice gitgeezer. That is what I needed to know. I think I might be leaning towards a used luthier model. I am not sure how I could get a hold of guitars to try except for one place a 2 hour drive away that sells luthier guitars but they do not carry many.
2000 Royal Anderson(USA)
Richard Lawrence

Postby bushweek » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:24 am

If you have a 3-5k budget it'd be worth spending a few dollars on flights and heading to San Francisco (the Guitar Solo) or similar to test out a whole lot of used luthier instruments side-by-side. Even if you don't find your dream guitar it might help to rule out some options. I mention the Guitar Solo because I stopped by a few months ago and was very impressed by the friendly service and range of instruments (for what it's worth, I loved the Joshia De Jonge X-braced lattice on consignment there - I'm pretty sure it was within your budget). Good luck with your search - sounds like you have a good idea of the sound you are after already...
bushweek

Postby tuk » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:07 pm

At the bottom of your budget, check out the Juan Hernandez Concierto & then the Juan Hernandez Torres ..I believe there is a maestro also ..you can hear the Torres here: viewtopic.php?f=102&t=66282 ..not sure if the French polish versions add to the sound..but they are a bit more expensive than the standard finish

also the Alhambra India and Rio might be worth a look ..you can hear a clip of the india here: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=62592&p=681536&hilit=india#p681536

even if you don't buy any of these, they will provide a good basis for comparing against the more expensive Luthier guitars ..no sense spending more money than you have to
"To make the figure more understandable, IBM said Sequoia was capable of calculating in one hour what otherwise would have taken 6.7 billion people using hand calculators 320 years to complete if they had worked non-stop."
tuk

Postby Richard Lawrence » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:01 am

I think I am going to have to save up alot of money and get a double-top. lol :-)
2000 Royal Anderson(USA)
Richard Lawrence

Re: concert guitars between $5000-7000?

Postby Richard Lawrence » Tue May 01, 2012 2:41 am

I am going to wait longer and try and find an American luthier who can make a great sounding spruce double-top.
2000 Royal Anderson(USA)
Richard Lawrence

Postby Rick-in-Annapolis » Tue May 01, 2012 12:11 pm

Have you considered Kenny Hill signature models? They are double top and within your price range.
Rick-in-Annapolis

Postby FHC » Tue May 01, 2012 9:31 pm

Richard Lawrence wrote:I am going to wait longer and try and find an American luthier who can make a great sounding spruce double-top.

Check out Frederich Luthier. He is located in Ohio and is a member of this forum. I am sure he can work with you and your budget. He is a great luthier and a man of integrity.
FHC

Postby bacsidoan » Wed May 02, 2012 12:05 am

Richard Lawrence wrote:I am going to wait longer and try and find an American luthier who can make a great sounding spruce double-top.

Take a look at the double-top Traphagen that Jstroud put up for sale here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=55160
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61612
bacsidoan

Postby Richard Lawrence » Wed May 02, 2012 12:47 pm

FHC wrote:

Check out Frederich Luthier. He is located in Ohio and is a member of this forum. I am sure he can work with you and your budget. He is a great luthier and a man of integrity.

Did you mean Frederich Holtier? If so, I will check into it, especially if he can work with me and my budget.
2000 Royal Anderson(USA)
Richard Lawrence

Postby ben etow » Wed May 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Richard Lawrence wrote:I only have 1 classical guitar that I have had for 12 years. I love that guitar and will always keep it but the playability is not where I want it. it seems the action is a little high and I have to work at getting things to sound good. The 1st string e also does not have a "singing" tone that I want. The guitar I have is pretty much designed after a Ramirez and the guitar I had before that WAS a Ramirez. It seems with the design the basses have a tendency to overpower the trebles easy. I want something different than the Ramirez design. I am not sure whether to try a lattice braced guitar or not. I am still doing research on this. It seems the guitar I have is one step below a concert instrument. I have gotten to the point where I need a concert instrument that can let me express myself fully. Thank you for any suggestions. Rick

Hi Richard,

First, you should try a few strings to make your guitar sing better, especially the 1st: Knobloch carbon medium or Dr. Junger aristona carbon medium or - even better - low tension. If you need more clarity, go for Savarez medium Alliance (red) or the Dr. Junger supersona carbon (medium or low), for instance. You may not like carbon strings though.

Why not lower the apparently too high action?

If you do need a new guitar, start asking yourself which sound (homogeneous, projecting, great dynamics, great tonal range... what are your priorities?) and which playability (short scale?) you're looking for and not how much money you can pay for it.
i tried many, many "concert" and or "luthier" guitars and you can find some fine guitars in your price range, new or second hand, made by Ana Espinosa, René Baarslag, Daniel Bernaert, Walter Verreydt, Keijo Liikanen, Pepe Marín, Paco Marín, Antonio Marín, Angel Benito, Arnoldo García, Frank-Peter Dietrich, Jean-Luc Joie, Michael Gee, George Lowden and maybe even some lattice ones by Gnatek or Marty (I found a very good Marty sold at only 4200 euro for a friend a few years ago...). probably some others I can't recall now...

Ben
ben etow

Postby FHC » Wed May 02, 2012 10:13 pm

Richard Lawrence wrote:
FHC wrote:

Did you mean Frederich Holtier? If so, I will check into it, especially if he can work with me and my budget.

Oops Sorry. Yes I meant Frederich Holtier. Based on prior personal experience, I am sure Frederich would be willing to work with you.
FHC

Postby natenajar » Sat May 05, 2012 5:42 pm

I was just in NY and I went to Luthier to stock up on strings. I played 2 dieter hopfs that impressed the hell out of me, and both were in the $6000 range (I think a little less) which to me seemed like a good value for these instruments. One was a spruce top "gran concierto" and the other a cedar "artista membrane". they felt great, had excellent balance and good projection and power. I would not hesitate to use either one professionally.

Teodoro Perez has a new "madrid" model that is under $4000 I think. I haven't played it, but I have played his higher end guitars and they are fabulous instruments.

N
natenajar

Next

Return to Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar