Hill Master Series 37 Hauser vs. Hill Performance Series

Hill Master Series 37 Hauser vs. Hill Performance Series

Postby Windy City John » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:28 am

I have seen a few Kenny Hill Master Series 37 Hauser Models for re-sale for close to $5,000. This is the same price point for the Hill double top Performance series. I recognize that the sound of these two guitars is very different, but I can only purchase one of them. If it were you, which would you purchase?

Also, if anyone prefers a double top from a different luthier around this same price point, I would really appreciate hearing the recommendations. Thanks in advance.
Windy City John

Re: Hill Master Series 37 Hauser vs. Hill Performance Series

Postby Tom » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:32 am

There are quite often you see Hill's double top on sale. Most of them are pretty new and I am not sure why people are selling them after short use. I suggest you google around to check yourself.
Tom

Postby David_Norton » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Tom wrote:There are quite often you see Hill's double top on sale. Most of them are pretty new and I am not sure why people are selling them after short use. I suggest you google around to check yourself.

I am (semi) guilty of this. I acquired a shiny new Hill Performance (cedar-Indian) in April at a great price, and offered it for sale on Delcamp very briefly, entirely in hope of making a quick profit. I think I had it listed for about 12 - 18 hours. But it's simply too good a guitar to give up. Kenny Hill has really brought the lattice double-top concept into the mainstream with this model. Unless you "know" it's not a traditional bracing, there's really no aural indicators. Before owning one, I'd have doubted anyone who made that statement. After owning it, I realized that this is a new ballgame.

I was at riffmeister's home for dinner this past week, and was able to play his two Eric Sahlin guitars. I can confidently say that the Hill Performance has all the power of the Sahlins. Not necessarily the aesthetic refinement, and certainly the fan bracing has a ~somewhat~ different character, but not enough difference that I would sell the the Performance and buy a Sahlin.

The Hill Hauser '37 is a fine guitar also. Not as powerful as the Performance, but with a bit more clarity. I'd suspect that a spruce-top Performance would really be the best of both worlds.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
David_Norton

Postby FHC » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:44 pm

Check out a DT from Frederich Holtier.
FHC

Postby Windy City John » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:01 am

I will definately check out the Holtier on your recommendation, FHC.
Windy City John

Postby hyz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:19 am

For a real concert graded double top, check out Dammann or Wagner.

hyz
hyz

Postby Windy City John » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks, HYZ. I will play the Dammann too. I do not know much about Wagner instruments, but will look into them and try to find one nearby to audition.
Windy City John

Postby Les Backshall » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:41 am

David_Norton wrote:...Kenny Hill has really brought the lattice double-top concept into the mainstream with this model. Unless you "know" it's not a traditional bracing, there's really no aural indicators. Before owning one, I'd have doubted anyone who made that statement. After owning it, I realized that this is a new ballgame...

Could you expand on this a bit please? On straight reading you're saying that there is no difference in sound alone that would enable you to tell whether this is lattice double top or traditional bracing. In which case, what's the new ball game?
Thanks
Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK
Les Backshall
Luthier

Postby crabolsky » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:09 pm

Les Backshall wrote:
David_Norton wrote:...Kenny Hill has really brought the lattice double-top concept into the mainstream with this model. Unless you "know" it's not a traditional bracing, there's really no aural indicators. Before owning one, I'd have doubted anyone who made that statement. After owning it, I realized that this is a new ballgame...

Could you expand on this a bit please? On straight reading you're saying that there is no difference in sound alone that would enable you to tell whether this is lattice double top or traditional bracing. In which case, what's the new ball game?
Thanks
Les

I own a cedar Performance with fan bracing and I am eager to compare it to the same with lattice bracing.
I have played a recent build spruce top performance and it does have more clarity and brightness (this more obviously mostly due to the spruce outer skin). Interestingly I didn't find it to be any louder than my fan braced though. If it was, it wasn't obvious to me. So from this I gather the majority of its presence is found in it's design and double top?
Kenny Hill-Performance. Robert England-El Dorado
crabolsky

Postby David_Norton » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:32 pm

Les Backshall wrote:Could you expand on this a bit please? On straight reading you're saying that there is no difference in sound alone that would enable you to tell whether this is lattice double top or traditional bracing. In which case, what's the new ball game?
Thanks
Les

Les:

Prior to the Hill Performance, I had owned three lattice-tops (Hippner, Nunez, Hill Signature) and played extensively on three others (Schramm, Marty, Fritz Meuller). Every one of these had a fine sound for the audience, but up-close to the player the sound was frankly unpleasant. Certainly there were differences, but the commonality was that I generally disliked the sound I was hearing. I didn't want to play on them.

With the Hill Performance, it has a very good sound for the player as well as for the audience. Volume is part of the equation, obviously, but the _quality_ of sound is important as well. More important, really, because it is important that the sound which the player believes he/she is producing is aligned to what the audience hears. With the six aforementioned guitars, I perceived a definite difference between the sounds I was making as the player, versus what sound was coming to an audience. That differentiation doesn't seem to exist with my Performance.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
David_Norton

Postby riffmeister » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:35 pm

Windy City John wrote:Thanks, HYZ. I will play the Dammann too. I do not know much about Wagner instruments, but will look into them and try to find one nearby to audition.

And grow your budget by 10-fold. :D
riffmeister

Postby Windy City John » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:10 am

riffmeister wrote:
Windy City John wrote:Thanks, HYZ. I will play the Dammann too. I do not know much about Wagner instruments, but will look into them and try to find one nearby to audition.

And grow your budget by 10-fold. :D

Doh! Not exactly a gig guitar, huh? :cry:
Windy City John

Return to Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar