Cordoba and Alhambra

Evan

Cordoba and Alhambra

Postby Evan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:29 am

I've been looking around and can't find any threads here discussing or comparing the differences between Cordoba and Alhambra guitars.

Both have been on my radar since they offer shorter scale models.

Local shops don't have either so I can't test drive.
Cheers,
Evan

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Re: Cordoba and Alhambra

Postby Ramon Amira » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:33 pm

I am an authorized dealer for both Alhambra and Cordoba guitars, so I can speak to this. If you state your approximate budget I could advise you better.

One main difference is that all Cordoba guitars have truss rods, and no Alhambra guitars have them. So if a truss rod is important to you, that leaves Cordoba – of these two.

Alhambra guitars have a larger lower bout than is found on most guitars. They also have higher action than Cordoba guitars. I find Cordoba guitars easier to play, probably because of the somewhat lower action.

In general, given comparable categories, Cordoba guitars are less expensive than Alhambra. Most of them also come with a case of some kind – hard shell for the more expensive models, or else a Polyfoam case, or a gig bag. Alhambra guitars don't come with a case, unless any individual dealer decides to include one.

Sound-wise Cordoba guitars tend to have a rich bass, with a somewhat softer sound, Alhmabra with a somewhat crisper bass, and slightly better balance between bass and treble.

Hope this is helpful.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Evan

Postby Evan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:18 am

Prominent Critic wrote:I am an authorized dealer for both Alhambra and Cordoba guitars, so I can speak to this. If you state your approximate budget I could advise you better.

Probably under $800. I feel a little undecided about how much I want to invest. On one hand, I feel like I'm experimenting a little with scale since I can't live with a shorter scale guitar and really get a certain feeling about what scale is optimal for me. I played two crummy guitars that were 592mm/43mm and 589mm/45mm. I liked the feel a lot - though they were both pretty bad quality instruments. I have a 577mm/42mm baby taylor, which I think is too small and the neck feels cramped. I'm still undecided about scale - but thinking 580-615, maybe 630)

The Cordoba Requinto is under $300. Which Alhambra model would you say is the closest compadre of the Cordoba Requinto 580mm - and what's the cost diff? ...and what do you think about that cost diff?

Prominent Critic wrote:One main difference is that all Cordoba guitars have truss rods, and no Alhambra guitars have them. So if a truss rod is important to you, that leaves Cordoba – of these two.

Hmm. I suppose I should ask: Should a truss rod be important to me? :)

Prominent Critic wrote:Alhambra guitars have a larger lower bout than is found on most guitars. They also have higher action than Cordoba guitars. I find Cordoba guitars easier to play, probably because of the somewhat lower action.

Are you just talking about straight off the line set up? You aren't saying that the Alhambra can't be adjusted to have an easier feel, are you? If either guitar had a 'pro set up', would this still be an issue?

Prominent Critic wrote:In general, given comparable categories, Cordoba guitars are less expensive than Alhambra. Most of them also come with a case of some kind – hard shell for the more expensive models, or else a Polyfoam case, or a gig bag. Alhambra guitars don't come with a case, unless any individual dealer decides to include one.

Sound-wise Cordoba guitars tend to have a rich bass, with a somewhat softer sound, Alhmabra with a somewhat crisper bass, and slightly better balance between bass and treble.

Hope this is helpful.

Yes it was. Thank you very much. I may PM you about your store.
Cheers,
Evan

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Postby Ramon Amira » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:32 am

I wouldn't recommend the Cordoba Requinto, unless your hands are extremely small. The largest scale Requinto is 580. I would suggest at least the Cadete, which is 615, (3/4), or the Dolce, which is 630 (7/8).

If you feel that you're okay with 630, the Dolce is an amazingly good sounding guitar for its category. The closest Alhambra to that is the Senorita, which is 7/8, and 636 scale. But the least expensive Senorita, the 1C, is about $220 more than the Cordoba Dolce, and is not worth the difference. The Dolce is a much better buy.

The same is true of all the Alhambra shorter scale – they are considerably more expensive than comparable Cordobas, and not worth the difference.

You should also look into a Yamaha. They make shorter scale classical guitars, 3/4 and 7/8. In the past I have found these Yamahas to be consistently good. Lately they are making matte finishes and ugly color necks and headstock, but they are still worth looking into because you want to test the largest possible sampling of short scale guitars, and that gives you one more option.

With respect to a truss rod, there are differing opinions, so I can only give you mine, which is that a truss rod is an idea whose time should never have come. But if you get a Cordoba, you get a truss rod. I doubt if it will matter much.

Obviously in most cases the action can be lowered, but if you end up with a Cordoba it won't be necessary.

Ramon

Fling13

Postby Fling13 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:41 am

I have played a cordoba cadete that was just amazing. Although with these guitars, some may play mediocre, and some may be great, you know. I think cordoba puts just as much into their shorter scale guitars as their normal 650 scale guitars that are in the same price range.

EDIT: Maybe I meant that I played a requinto?

Thyme8

Postby Thyme8 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:42 pm

Can anyone give me an idea of what sets the Alhambra apart from Cordoba? I am truly impressed with the information from different sources regarding the Alhambra CG, but are they worth the extra dollars? The sound quality of the two is the question, more specifically. Would one be able to hear a discernable difference between the two?

Evan

Postby Evan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:47 am

Fling13 wrote:I have played a cordoba cadete that was just amazing. Although with these guitars, some may play mediocre, and some may be great

I finally got to play a cadete and wasn't impressed. I only played it for a few minutes and put it back.

[update]. I confirmed that I had played a C3M Cadete, which is 590mm/47mm.
Last edited by Evan on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Evan

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Postby Ramon Amira » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:10 am

You should try the Dolce.

Ramon

jeff_hatcher

Postby jeff_hatcher » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:53 am

If your goal is "under $800", I'd say go for the Cordoba C9. I played the same game you are and played around with sub-$500 guitars, trying to find the "killer deal" that would satisfy me. When I got the C9 (SP/MH), I was finally happy with the feel and the sound I was getting. In retrospect, I would have prefered to have gone straight to one of these all solid models instead of messing around with lesser guitars. I was stuck with several of these "bargain" guitars for months before I could resell them, taking a loss each time.
Unidentified (Eusebio Huipe?) Cedar top/Pau Ferro B/S
Cordoba C9 SP/MH
Cordoba Fusion 14 RS
Cordoba GK Studio Negra

Thyme8

Postby Thyme8 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:48 am

I think the C9 would be the better option after a closer evaluation. I would rather not have to make another purchase after deciding a sub-500 dollar CG doesn't fit the bill. Thanks.

Evan

Postby Evan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:03 am

No chance of finding a C9 with 48mm nut. :( I'll have to see if my local shop has a c9 in stock. It would be nice to test drive.
Cheers,
Evan

imtrex

Postby imtrex » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:22 pm

Just purchased the Cordoba c9 C/MH and I absolutely love it. Great balance between the bass and treble and a very warm Spanish sound. It is very easy to play and very beautiful to boot. I cant imagine seriously a better guitar for the price. Dont let "made in China" scare you it is beautifully constructed.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”