Repaired cracks on guitars soundboard

Repaired cracks on guitars soundboard

Postby guitarista27 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:16 pm

How important or relevant are professionally repaired cracks on a soundboard (by an established luthier) if changes in the tone and other characteristics of the guitar cannot be perceived? What other factors would you weigh in the equation? Any help or comments from luthiers and other experts on this site will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Alexander
guitarista27

Re: Repaired cracks on guitars soundboard

Postby Michael.N. » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Given that the cracks are tight and expertly repaired I really don't see them as being a problem, assuming that the cracks were due to impact or poor humidity control. The 'market' may devalue the instrument slightly, applicable to relatively new instruments only though. Cracks on a Torres, any other 19 th century instrument and folk would laugh at you if you raised the slightest concern. A lot to do with perception me thinks.
Historicalguitars.
Michael.N.

Postby guitarista27 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:32 pm

Thanks Michael. What if it is in an instrument from the mid 70's, i.e. the 20th century? Do you also share the view that cedar tops is more prone to cracks due to poor humidity control than its spruce cousin or that certain "polish", e.g. french are also are more susceptible? I did appreciate and thank you for your comments.
guitarista27

Postby Fling13 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:18 pm

I once returned a new guitar for a very small hard to see crack in the upper bout of the soundboard. It was an incredible guitar for the price. I regretted that ever since. I wonder, is a crack ever really a problem other than cosmetic?
Fling13

Return to Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar