Cordoba C12 or Yamaha GC32

Cordoba C12 or Yamaha GC32

Postby doug » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:31 pm

Has anyone played both of these, and compared them?
2013 Yamaha GC32C
doug

Re: Cordoba C12 or Yamaha GC32

Postby Linda » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Hi Doug,

My guitar is a Cordoba Espana. I bought it used, and had my guitar teacher check it out for me, he approved it. He said it was a lucky find, only costing $250.00 It has a really nice warm tone. I don't know how it compares to the other more expensive models, so I can't comment on that. On the label inside it says it is a MOD-40-R. With a serial # 50010984. I am curious as to what all that means, if anything. I do know, it is a great guitar, and I love playing it. So does my guitar teacher.

linea
linea
Linda

Postby doug » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:50 pm

I think that it being a great-sounding guitar, and you enjoying playing it is more important than whatever the label says. After all, it's all about the music.
I am fairly new to playing classical guitar, and I started with a mid-range Yamaha that I enjoy playing. It has laminate back and sides, and I understand....from reading topics on here....that solid wood instruments develop a better sound over time. ....so I'm looking to upgrade.
2013 Yamaha GC32C
doug

Postby jeff_hatcher » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:31 pm

http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=75664&p=884450&hilit=cordoba+c12#p884450

EJReyes started a discussion on the C12 here

You're trying to compare and contrast two different beasts here. The C12 is a lattice braced instrument, the GC32 is fan-braced.

Both polyurethane finishes. Likely to be very different. I've heard lots of good things about the C12, not a whole lot about the GC32, although I am certain it is a well built, decent sounding instrument.

Hopefully, you can get a chance to try out both.
Unidentified (Eusebio Huipe?) Cedar top/Pau Ferro B/S
Cordoba C9 SP/MH
Cordoba Fusion 14 RS
Cordoba GK Studio Negra
jeff_hatcher

Postby doug » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:35 pm

Explain to me the difference between lattice braced and fan braced....not the physical difference....the sound difference....and which is better?
2013 Yamaha GC32C
doug

Postby jeff_hatcher » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Which is better, a dog or a cat?

Lattice brace instruments tend to have thinner tops. They TEND to be louder, have a stronger "attack" and less sustain. There is a lot of variation though, from what I understand. Smallman guitars have a very thin top, and the structure of the top is kinda weird. Smallmans are known for their loud, almost percussive tone (some liken it to a banjo, but I disagree.... John Williams plays a Smallman and I like the tone he gets out of it). The Cordoba C12, though lattice braced, is not constructed like a Smallman type guitar. The top is thicker, probably closer to the dimensions of a fan braced instrument, but braced differently.

From what I've heard and seen on youtube, and the Cordoba website, the C12 is pretty loud, a little on the punchy side, but still seems to have some nice sustain.

Fan-braced instruments have a series of braces radiating from just behind the bridge toward the lower bout of the instrument. This is the more traditional style of construction popularized by Antonio Torres, and is used in most classical guitars on the market today, especially factory instruments such as the GC32. Because there are many different variations of fan bracing, it is hard to generalize other than that they are supposed to have better sustain, a little less volume, and a less aggressive attack compared to fan braced instruments. The choice of top-wood (Spruce vs. Cedar) will also determine tonal qualities (Cedar: darker, punchier, more colorful... Spruce: brighter, cleaner, sweeter, ,more sustain), although these are also generalizations.

Again, these are all generalizations. David Jaggs offers some videos for download on Tone production for the Classical Guitar, the second video of which discusses differences in construction styles, materials, and their effects on the tone of guitars. You pay a few bucks for the download, but it's worth it. If you look around, you can also find other videos talking about construction of the classical guitar.

In the end, the proof is in the playing.
Cordoba C9 SP/MH
Cordoba Fusion 14 RS
Cordoba GK Studio Negra
jeff_hatcher

Postby Linda » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:35 pm

@ Doug, I totally agree.

linea
linea
Linda

Postby doug » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:39 pm

I just bought a Yamaha GC32 online. I didn't have the opportunity to play either model, but I currently own a couple of Yamaha's, and I figure that it will probably play more like the ones I have than the Cordoba would.
2013 Yamaha GC32C
doug

Postby Jae Lee » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:11 am

You made a right decision. Yamaha GC32 must be better than Cordoba C12. I always prefer Yamaha GC series under $2000 range.
Jae Lee

Postby Philosopherguy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:10 am

I have the Yamaha GC41c and I have played the 31 spruce top. These will both be similar to the 32 in sound. I think you will enjoy the 32. The Yamaha is a great all around sounding guitar. Did you get spruce or cedar?

Regards,
Martin
Ramirez 130 Anos Spruce Top - Serial #17
Yamaha GC41C Cedar Top
Philosopherguy

Postby doug » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:12 pm

I decided to go with cedar. I was in church this past Sunday, and the minister was talking about how beautiful the new Christmas decorations were, and he said, talking about the tree, that the cedar was the "tree of royalty." I had to chuckle a little to myself, because I had just ordered the guitar, and I figured that, since I'm a "royal pain in the ***," cedar would be appropriate.
2013 Yamaha GC32C
doug

Postby jeff_hatcher » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:21 pm

doug wrote:I decided to go with cedar. I was in church this past Sunday, and the minister was talking about how beautiful the new Christmas decorations were, and he said, talking about the tree, that the cedar was the "tree of royalty." I had to chuckle a little to myself, because I had just ordered the guitar, and I figured that, since I'm a "royal pain in the ***," cedar would be appropriate.

It's really hard to decide whether I prefer cedar or spruce. My Spruce top C9 has sweetness and clarity, but my Cedar top Huipe has this awesome power and "darkness" to it. If I switch to one after playing the other for a while, it's seems like I'm discovering it anew.

Looking forward to hearing how you like your new guitar. Congratulations!
Cordoba C9 SP/MH
Cordoba Fusion 14 RS
Cordoba GK Studio Negra
jeff_hatcher

Postby doug » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:26 pm

I got my new guitar today, and I love it! It is, in my opinion, a very well-made, good quality instrument. I haven't played it much yet, but I think it has an excellent sound. I am happy with my purchase.
2013 Yamaha GC32C
doug

Postby jen delsignore » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:13 pm

Congrats on the new guitar! It's a great feeling isn't it! Hope it brings you much joy.
Jen :chitarrista:
Kenny Hill New World Player 615
Cordoba Cadete
Martin Backpacker
Larrivee LV-105
jen delsignore

Postby Philosopherguy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:42 am

Congratulations on the new guitar! Although it is cedar and won't need to break in as much, play the guitar as much as possible and the sound is likely to improve in the coming weeks/months. You will be rewarded!

And don't forget to change the factory strings! Put on something decent you like! Factory strings, for some reason, never sound great.
Ramirez 130 Anos Spruce Top - Serial #17
Yamaha GC41C Cedar Top
Philosopherguy

Next

Return to Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar