Musical games, introduction

Musical games to help develop improvisational skills.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Musical games, introduction

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:04 am

Hello,
As mentioned recently, I have some musical games to propose to you.

Here are some initial ideas for multiplayer musical games. The principle is to compose or improvise collectively, with the players taking turns. In this we take inspiration from the game where each player adds 6 words to the text of the preceding players: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=57060
That is to say that the first player produces a musical phrase in mp3, ogg, or video and sets the rules which will regulate the game. Thus he defines the level of difficulty, the number of players, the number of notes that each player should produce in his turn, the duration of the game and lastly he specifies whether the phrases will just follow on from one another (single voice, or monophonic) or whether they should follow with an overlap (single voice or monophonic, with overlaps, thus polyphonic in places). Players take it in turns to play

D01 4 players, 3 notes, 7 days, 1 voice
"D01" means that the game is first year level.
"4 players" means that the work is to be constructed by 4 players.
"3 notes" means that each player invents a sequence of 3 notes.
The work is under construction for 7 days.
"1 voice" means that the collective work is monophonic.
The rhythm is free and modifiable.
The first player records a sequence of 3 notes, the second player repeats what his predecessor played and completes his phrase by adding another sequence of 3 notes to it. The third player repeats what the previous player played and adds another 3 notes. At the end of a week, one of the players finishes off the collective work with a concluding phrase and indicates in his post that the work is completed. If a contribution does not fit the specifications, the other players can ignore it or adopt it, but it is advisable to reject contributions that are above the level proposed and which would put the other players in difficulty.

D02 2 players, 4 notes, 3 days, 1 voice
"D02" means that the game is second year level.
"2 players" means that the work is to be constructed by 2 players.
"4 notes" means that each player invents a sequence of 4 notes.
The work is under construction for 3 days.
"1 voice" means that the collective work is monophonic.
The first player records a sequence of 4 notes, the second player repeats what his predecessor played and completes his phrase by adding another sequence of 4 notes to it. In his turn, the first player repeats what the previous player played and adds another 4 notes. At the end of 3 days, one of the players finishes off the collective work with a concluding phrase and indicates in his post that the work is completed. If a contribution does not fit the specifications, the other player can ignore it or adopt it, but it is advisable to reject contributions that are above the level proposed and which would put the other player in difficulty.

D04 3 players, 8 notes, 5 days, 1 voice with overlap on 2 notes
"D04" means that the game is fourth year level.
"3 players" means that the work is to be constructed by 3 players.
"8 notes" means that each player invents a sequence of 8 notes.
The work is under construction for 5 days.
"1 voice with overlap on 2 notes" means that the collective work is monophonic with passages of two voices where they join.
The first player records a sequence of 8 notes, the second player repeats what his predecessor played and completes his phrase by adding another sequence of 8 notes to it. The first 2 notes of the second player should overlap the 2 last notes of the preceding player. The third player repeats what the previous player played and adds another 8 notes, of which the first 2 overlap the last 2 of his predecessor. At the end of 5 days, one of the three players finishes off the collective work with a concluding phrase and indicates in his post that the work is completed. If a contribution does not fit the specifications, the other players can ignore it or adopt it, but it is advisable to reject contributions that are above the level proposed and which would put the other players in difficulty. The result is a work which is essentially monophonic but in places polyphonic in two voices.

Important:
:cornet: When you decide to participate in a game and before recording your notes: post a message to say you are about to take the next turn. :idea: So that someone else won't be working simultaneously on the same step of the game as you.

These proposals are only suggestions, we'll see in practice what works best for us.

Only moderators and members of the Online course students group are able to participate in these games.

Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: Musical games, introduction

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:08 am

:bravo: Jean-François!

Let the games begin!!! :D

Alan

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:18 pm

Since the musical games are in progress, is it possible to start a new one with new notes or do we have to wait for the time to elapse before we can start a new game?
Jack

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:22 pm

Jack Jarrett wrote:Since the musical games are in progress, is it possible to start a new one with new notes ... ?
Jack
Yes Jack :okok:
:idea: and new rules (your rules)
:( + ♫ = :)

Jack Jarrett

Post by Jack Jarrett » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:25 pm

One last sily question.Do I start under an existing topic ie. D02 3 players 6 notes, as I don't seem to have the option for posting a new topic under the Musical Games.

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Jack Jarrett wrote:I don't seem to have the option for posting a new topic under the Musical Games.
Really Jack? We'll look into it, as some of the "permissions" for the new sub forums have needed some tweaking.

I've noticed that no one else has started a new topic there, either. Would some of the other registered students please take a look and see if the "New topic" button is there?

Thanks,

Alan

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Please try again, Jack. Mr. Delcamp has just notified us that he has fixed it! :D

Thanks for bringing it to our attention! :merci:

Alan

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:52 am

If any students would like to initiate further games, please do. M. Delcamp doesn't have time to start any more himself at present but would like to see others doing so, as they are a useful way of developing a guitarist's skills, and now that the courses are almost over, there should soon be more time.

:idea: If the format laid out at the beginning of this thread seems too complicated or rigid, he is happy for students to simplify it and come up with whatever set of "rules" will make the game interesting and practical for all.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Mike Modjeski

Post by Mike Modjeski » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:47 pm

Is there a program or utility available for all to contribute their notes to a visible score?

I presume the game author establishes the timing. Would it not be good for the author to define a general structure for the composition? i.e., D02 4 players, 4 notes, 8 days, 1 voice, 4/4 time, 3 phrases of 3 measures

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Sun May 12, 2013 8:32 pm

I use TuxGuitar (free, quick editing using tab., but not able to add fingering etc to score).
Just installed MuseScore (free..., looks like it can do "everything" relevant to standard notation)
Alhambra 11P

Mike Modjeski

Post by Mike Modjeski » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:38 am

Hi Havard, I'm digging through some of my old posts and found your reply. Thanks, it looks like it will work.

Looks like your progress through the lessons is going good.

Josephfarrar

Post by Josephfarrar » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:33 pm

This is such an awesome idea, i look forward to taking part in this!

Mike Modjeski

Post by Mike Modjeski » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:37 pm

Josephfarrar wrote:This is such an awesome idea, i look forward to taking part in this!
Start one!

Return to “Musical Games”